Steve Chu tabbed as energy secretary

swansont

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10121034-54.html

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hotstories/6158046.html

I think appointing someone with bona-fide science credentials as well as having director experience at the national-lab level bodes extremely well. It certainly reaffirms that Obama will be listening to scientists about scientific matters.

(It's also neat that someone I've met at a science conference will likely end up a cabinet member)

I had a feeling you might have met Chu after I'd read that his work involved laser-based atomic cooling. That's sweet.

As for the pick itself, it's feakin awesome. Obama seems to be standing by his word to choose based on merit and not cronyism. Response around the globe has been amazing, too. Finally we have a guy (how'd you say in your blog post?) who won't be fooled into thinking that some unfounded idea will be the silver bullet to all of our energy needs.

I like how things are shaping up, thus far. The selection of Chu for Energy only reinforces my decision to have voted Obama in the election. We maximize our chances for success by putting the best and the brightest into positions which matter.

Finally we have a guy (how'd you say in your blog post?) who won't be fooled into thinking that some unfounded idea will be the silver bullet to all of our energy needs.

The discussion around the office went basically like "He'll be able to reject proposals based on first principles, e.g. 'This violates the laws of thermodynamics. No funding for you!'"

Energy policy involving someone who isn't a shill for the oil companies. Imagine that.

It will be interesting how Obama accepts his opinions. Scientist's are not noted for accepting compromise or adapting policy to conform to public acceptance. Since, I also like seeing a non-politician at the Cabinet level from a related field/profession, I'll just ask if you all read the replies...not exactly total endoursements....Then Berkeley....

certainly better than the previous selections, IMO. Looks like this office was used to bump up the minority numbers previously. Obama nominated a minority, but a very, maybe over qualified one.

Or maybe ethnicity had nothing at all to do with it.

Or maybe ethnicity had nothing at all to do with it.

maybe not, but those things are considered. I am not implying that having white males would have resulted in better candidates. The main thing is that technical experience didn't seem to be high on the priority.

maybe not, but those things are considered. I am not implying that having white males would have resulted in better candidates. The main thing is that technical experience didn't seem to be high on the priority.

The technical experience of whom? Chu? He's a Nobel laureate! And for the last 4+ years, director of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, where he has concentrated efforts on energy research!

"The lab, which employs 4,000 with a $650 million budget, is considered a leading research center in biofuels, solar energy, and boosting energy efficiency in buildings and appliances."

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2008/12/08/daily77.html

I wonder if this means we will see actual R&D for what it could be, like a small fraction of the Iraq war chest would probably suffice I think. At least I hope at any rate this means more emphasis being placed on getting away from fossil fuels.

Since that's been a major initiative of LBNL under Chu, I'd say it's extremely likely.

thanks for finishing my sentence properly, Phi. As I mentioned previously, Chu is very qualified for this position, possibly even over qualified. More people of science in government, especially positions that will require technical leaps is very necessary, IMO.

I hope this sets an example. Smaller countries are known to follow the big ones.

I also hope that there will be some money left. With this kind of people at the top, you'd want them to be able to execute new policy, in stead of having to clear up the mess left behind.