value?

Gareth56

Think about it. If you hung a bunch of gold from a spring scale on the moon (where gravity is weaker and doesn't pull as hard), would you need more or less gold to make the scale read "1N" compared to being on the moon?

Using the equation weight(N) = mass x accel. due to gravity yields the following (I hope)

Moon

1N/1.6m/s^2 = 0.625kg

Earth

1N/9.81m/s^2 = 0.102kg

So it looks like to requires more gold on the Moon!

I'm thinking along the same lines as Phi here though. On earth, obviously the 0.625kg lump will sell for alot more. But I would rather own 0.102kg of gold here on earth than have to deal with the delivery cost of transporting your 0.625kg from the moon.

I don't think it is supposed to be a trick question though.

• 2 weeks later...
Relative to what?

Well, i remember reading recently, that if you could collect all the gold in the world, it would only be enough to fill three entire football stadiums.

A Newton has about the same weight as a Granny Smith Apple, and that would be like a nugget on a good day in the American Rocky Mountains.

Well, i remember reading recently, that if you could collect all the gold in the world, it would only be enough to fill three entire football stadiums.

A Newton has about the same weight as a Granny Smith Apple, and that would be like a nugget on a good day in the American Rocky Mountains.

An objection which has squat to do with the premise of the question posed in the OP. And if you *are* talking about value, as DrP points out, 0.625kg is quite a bit when you have to factor it as part of the payload of a Moon trip.