Too old to learn a musical instrument?

ajb

I am 30+ now and have not got a musical bone in my body. I know what I like to listen to and have always wanted to play something.

Am I too old? Anyone else here manage to learn an instrument "later in life"?

I am thinking about giving the heavy metal axe a bash (and not the Vulcan gong or lytherette). >:D

Cheers

I've been playing music all my life, and its one of the most wonderful things in life. I recommend you start with the piano. It's the most ubiquitous instrument, and the things you learn are applicable to all the other instruments you may want to learn.

I am 30+ now and have not got a musical bone in my body. I know what I like to listen to and have always wanted to play something.

Am I too old? Anyone else here manage to learn an instrument "later in life"

I'm a firm believer in that you're never too old to learn anything. Although I've played the guitar most my life, it's incredibly easy to pick up (no pun intended)

I am thinking about giving the heavy metal axe a bash (and not the Vulcan gong or lytherette). >:D

Which is a passion of mine, along with anything electronic...feel free to PM me if you need any advice...you're a bit too far away for private tuition. Paranoia is quite a dab hand on the guitar as well, so he's somebody else you could ask. I could quite easily spend all day playing as loud and fast as possible, in fact I'm having a night off study tonight, so I may just do that.

I started playing keyboards relatively late, around the age of 17, compared to all those music schooled people who have played like five different instruments since they were 3. :D

I've also decided to start playing the guitar (which should arrive this month) and perhaps bass guitar later on. I agree with Snail that regardless of age you should pretty much just go for whatever new (preferably legal ;) ) thing you want to do, whether that's glassblowing, golf, pyrotechnics or playing the guitar. :)

I'm still in process of learning piano actually, and have tried guitar as well, still got one somewhere...

However, I think once I started picking up piano, a lot of other instruments started getting a lot easier! If you're looking for a place to start, I'd go piano - got a soothing sound, too

A synthesizer or a piano is indeed great to start with, even my friend who's currently a drummer started out with piano. I don't have an actual piano myself, but I do have a Korg X-50 synthesizer which has great sounds for its price range. I especially like the organs. In these days I definitely recommend a synthesizer instead of a piano, with the $1000+ ones you're not really missing out on the sounds or the feel of the keys and you can practice different kinds of techniques (traditional piano, organ, pads, synth leads...). I agree with Dudde that other instruments get easier if you go with keyboards, I also tried acoustic guitar couple of years back but it felt sort of hard so I quit. :D But now I feel much more confident, as I've learned more about music in general and my finger dexterity is on a whole new level.

Anyway, don't take this piano hype too seriously. ;) If you want to go with the guitar, go with the guitar.

Am I too old? Anyone else here manage to learn an instrument "later in life"?

No, you're not too old. There is nothing stopping you from gaining a new skill. You're not too old to learn and you're not old enough for your joints to have any serious problems. Playing an instrument is about fine motor skills and there are only two things that could hinder you:

1) flexibility. Those who have been playing the guitar or piano since childhood will have developed very flexible hands. You might need to work a bit harder for a while to gain the reach and strength needed for certain chords, but as long as you don't have arthritis or anything, that just means a little more effort for the first few months.

2) Practice. playing an instrument is primarily about fine motor skills. The only way to gain these is through constant repetition (practice). This is the main thing that will determine whether or not you ever learn any to play any instrument.

\m/ to Snail

P.S. I will be in Brighton very soon...

ajb, you're more than welcome to visit, and I'll happily give you a crash course in the art of shredding. >:D

If you could send us a PM nearer the time, I'll give you directions et.c

My next door neighbour is in his sixties and just took up the saxophone.

And my God is it annoying! Please please please, for the sake of your neighbours, leave it alone.

My former neighbor used to play the saxophone too. He played in a band and played really well, but nevertheless it was annoying as hell (hey, that rhymes).

They say idle hands are the devil's playthings and I suppose it's true if the owner of said hands decides to pick up a brass or woodwind instrument. :D