Obama wins, Hillary loses

bascule

Not to jump the gun... Obama still needs 12 delegates the secure the nomination.

But Hillary has announced that she's willing to be Vice President, and that's a pretty clear indication she's conceded her loss.

Wonder if Obama would accept her. That'd be... weird.

I can think of several choices that would serve the country better, as opposed to some transparent attempt to appease the emotions of those upset by the Primary outcome to increase election chances in November.

Many women feel alienated by McCain, who has repeatedly sided with pro-life/anti-abortion crowd. That alienation does not however guarantee a vote for Obama. Now that Hillary has apparently indicated that she is willing to accept the VP slot, won't refusing her that slot lead women to a feeling of alienation from Democrats as well as Republicans? The US has as of late suffered from extremely low voter turnout. I will not be surprised regarding exceptionally low female turnout come November should Obama have some male rather than Clinton as his veep.

Edited to add:

Holy guacamole, Batman. This has been a long campaign and I will be making no decisions tonight, Hillary Rodham Clinton just told supporters in New York City. She is not conceding.

Perhaps her statement of her willingness to be VP is a way to "bring the party back together," and push her supporters toward Obama. For all we know, they were empty words and she wouldn't want it.

However, her suggestion of willingness shows that she's "okay" with an Obama presidency.

Just a speculation on my part.

This race has been over for far too long.

Hillary lost every iota of respect I had for her a month ago when she had obviously lost, and yet still refused to gracefully nod out and help unify the party.

Maybe we are more cynical, but I've yet to meet many Aussies (who are following this race) who expect Obama to last more than 60 days in office.

The general feeling is that it will go like this;

1. Hilary conceeds and runs as VP.

2. The Obama/ Clinton ticket wins.

3. Obama suffers a fatal accident. (High velocity lead injection?) (Possibly by someone of a "Redneck" background who will die while being arrested.)

4. Hillary becomes POTUS.

That's just the feeling, I sincerely hope it's wong.

Not so much a conspiracy theory as pessimism. And yeah, a black president named Barack Hussein Obama with (however tenuous) associations with Islam probably has a rather greater chance of attempts on his life. Of course, the fact that foreigners in places like Australia think it will probably happen is rather embarrassing for us as Americans and indicative of the perception of us all as violent, racist, ignorant rednecks, which *ahem* has probably not improved in the last seven or eight years or so.

Not so much a conspiracy theory as pessimism. And yeah, a black president named Barack Hussein Obama with (however tenuous) associations with Islam probably has a rather greater chance of attempts on his life. Of course, the fact that foreigners in places like Australia think it will probably happen is rather embarrassing for us as Americans and indicative of the perception of us all as violent, racist, ignorant rednecks, which *ahem* has probably not improved in the last seven or eight years or so.

Some Americans don't know where Australia is located. Does that make it the fault of Australians? :eyebrow:

Jay Leno joked last night that putting Hillary Clinton on the ticket would deliver the "woman vote", while her husband Bill would deliver the "other woman" vote. :)

Joking aside, that is a big factor in Hillary's potenial as VP candidate. The numbers really show a lot of support amongst women, many of whom feel let down by the loss. But I'm still not convinced this is a determining factor, nor as significant an impact as Bill Richardson might have on latino voters. Still, it's a valid point.

Jay Leno joked last night that putting Hillary Clinton on the ticket would deliver the "woman vote", while her husband Bill would deliver the "other woman" vote. :)

Joking aside, that is a big factor in Hillary's potenial as VP candidate. The numbers really show a lot of support amongst women, many of whom feel let down by the loss. But I'm still not convinced this is a determining factor, nor as significant an impact as Bill Richardson might have on latino voters. Still, it's a valid point.

I think I've said this in another thread recently, but I find it unfortunate that we are so focussed on selecting a VP based on what they will provide in the general election, instead of choosing a VP that is best for the job and who we want to help support the mission, goals, and projects of the president.

There's a reason that the person who takes second place in the general election is no longer the VP... like they did right after the first few votes in this country. It's because the gridlock and butting of heads prevents goals from being achieved.

I think I've said this in another thread recently, but I find it unfortunate that we are so focussed on selecting a VP based on what they will provide in the general election, instead of choosing a VP that is best for the job and who we want to help support the mission, goals, and projects of the president.

There's a reason that the person who takes second place in the general election is no longer the VP... like they did right after the first few votes in this country. It's because the gridlock and butting of heads prevents goals from being achieved.

I completely agree. I wonder if that will trickle away once we finally have a woman pres, a black woman pres, a black man pres, a latino man pres, a latino woman pres....you get the idea.

So maybe in, like, 2108 we will have finally had about one of each flavor and can finally move on from that silly shit.

I completely agree. I wonder if that will trickle away once we finally have a woman pres, a black woman pres, a black man pres, a latino man pres, a latino woman pres....you get the idea.

So maybe in, like, 2108 we will have finally had about one of each flavor and can finally move on from that silly shit.

I doubt it. We've had lots of both Northern and Southern presidents, but "balancing the ticket" is still conventional wisdom.