Atheists out of the Closet.

Vexer

I have a conjecture (take note of that word Vexer), that it is a) a case of the "me too" phenomena often seen in research and journal publishing, b) people are no longer afraid to speak out about being atheists, and c) the rise of fundamentalist religious sects in recent decades has warranted a response from the secular side of the world.

Thats my 2p any way.

Seems to me there’s been a sudden surgency of pro-atheist 'science' books.

My question is why? At this time? It's very unusual.

I have a theory, but what’s yours?

I agree with MedGen, but would also add - why not now? why not anytime?

Perhaps, in addition to fear of violent opposition from believers (the nail that sticks out gets hammered down), in addition to the internet showing us that our views are more common and widespread than previously thought (less worry for ostracization from the social group), in addition to more critical thought and ability to question these topics which were often previously seen as "unquestionable" and "too important" to be criticized...

Perhaps now people are awaking to the idea that religion is causing more problems in the world than it is ameliorating, causing more divisiveness in the populace than social cohesion.

I think there are a few factors at play.

The biggest one is likely a push-back against the political influence of fundamentalist religion in the world. We kind of sat quietly while they stomped all over us, and now their doctrine has largely failed. It has also put us in a dangerous place...global warming being the big one (it's kind of hard to believe in the science behind that and a 6,000 year old earth at the same time), but also stem cell research etc.

Then there's the "me too" factor. Dawkins, Harris, et al. started speaking out and people realized they weren't alone in their lack of belief. It's always easier when you aren't the only one.

Then there's the role of Islamic fundamentalism. A lot of look at where that has led...and the Middle East was the most scientifically advanced area on the planet before it took hold...and see some very real parallels with fundamentalist Christianity and Judaism. More than that, we see how the more moderate in each of those religions have acted as enablers of the extremists by pushing the idea that you shouldn't criticize another's religious beliefs.

So people began speaking out. I don't think it's going to end anytime soon.

or Maybe it`s just that the Sweeping terms and Generalisations, attached to single words such as "Religion" or "Creationist" or "theist" has been bought into by the masses (much the same way that fone txt msg slang has).

And they no longer have the discriminatory faculties that they were born with thanks to the Medias brainwashing? :rolleyes:

There was a time when a scientist like Galileo could end up on house arrest or worse for theories that went against the majority's belief that "God did it". Now the tide is turning and fear of reprisal for being godless is not the variable it used to be.

I've read that sales of non-fiction books have been on the rise for a few years now. I think it's great to see the logical/rational side of society waking up a bit and taking an interest in things. Thank you President Bush! :)

When all 5 or 6 Republican candidates debating state that they are all creationists, some of them stuttering as they lie through their teeth in order to be pro-party platform, then you just know that something is wrong. This is all backlash from Pope John Paul's semi-acceptance of abiogenesis based on such flimsy evidence as amino acids forming spherical shapes autonomously. Every other hardline Christian scientist said, "Hey, that's not abiogenesis!" and it's been civil war in Christian dogma ever since.

, b) people are no longer afraid to speak out about being atheists, and c) the rise of fundamentalist religious sects in recent decades has warranted a response from the secular side of the world.

I think this about sums it up.

It may also be partly due to something as innocuous as a marketing decision by a major publisher. "We need more pro-atheism books. There's a market and they're getting angrier!" sort of thing.

I have some experience with book and magazine publishers, and they generally follow, not lead. It's more likely that they woke up and said, "This stuff is selling, let's advertise," than, "We need more."

Perhaps people are finding that religion is ... obsolete. We no longer require divine intervention to explain things, our laws and morality are being decided directly or indirectly by the population rather than powerful spiritual leaders. And religion is starting to get in the way of things, like scientific issues with varying degrees of importance (evolution, global warming, biotechnology). Whereas the benefits of religion, social enforcement of morality/laws, people getting together, etc., have been replaced by other alternatives.

The reason for this proliferation is atheists have a hole inside. There is a push to help fill in that hole since they are looking for something to help fill it in. Dawkin's theory of meme comes to play here.

A meme (pronounced /miːm/[1] or /mɛm/[citation needed]) consists of any unit of cultural information, such as a practice or idea, that gets transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another. Examples include thoughts, ideas, theories, practices, habits, songs, dances and moods and terms such as race, culture, and ethnicity. Memes propagate themselves and can move through a "culture" in a manner similar to the behavior of a virus

The atheist appear more vulnerable to the latest memes, always looking for and trying to participate and propagate the latest virus. The free market has noticed this and has realized they can crank out the meme and the atheist can't get enough. The hole inside must be fairly large. The compounded problem is, the meme fads wear out, causing the hole to keep coming back, needing a fresh batch of the latest meme. It sort of remains one of a black hole, sucking the life out of meme-fads always ready for another batch. The religious have memes that don't t seem to fade as quickly. Either their black hole is smaller or their meme contains more potential, taking much longer to suck the life out of, until they need their own new batch.

One way to understand the hole, is although atheism is a valid approach, they forget one key thing they should know from science. Humans have used religion since the beginning of civilization. It is very possible that much repetition has caused genetic engraining. This is why any small child will often take to fairy stories like a duck to water. An analogy is the brain has this extra genetic based arm trained for over 10,000 years. It does not just go away anymore than any other genetic trait, using will power. That arm is the hole still seeking the same type of thing it has been conditioned to do for 10,000 years. The stuff we give to it, seems to work, but soon fades, as the inner arm tosses it aside. It continues to reach and grasp hoping to find the right glove. It makes one vulnerable to meme fad. Maybe 1000 years of atheism will change it, but this movement is new and still has to come to terms with the old genetic arm.

The reason for this proliferation is atheists have a hole inside. There is a push to help fill in that hole since they are looking for something to help fill it in. Dawkin's theory of meme comes to play here.

So, does the same reasoning apply to the proliferation of theist material?

The reason for this proliferation is atheists have a hole inside. There is a push to help fill in that hole since they are looking for something to help fill it in.

I have no hole inside. I'm actually more satisfied than most people I know.

The atheist appear more vulnerable to the latest memes, always looking for and trying to participate and propagate the latest virus. The free market has noticed this and has realized they can crank out the meme and the atheist can't get enough.

Most of the atheists I know are less consumeristic than most of the theists I know. I haven't done a formal study or anything, but I have noticed that we tend to buy more used stuff, tend to repair or find other uses for worn or broken things, and tend to be more likely to recycle.

I'm not sure if that got anything to do atheism, or whether it's related to most of the atheists I know being either scientists or artists of some type...a reflection on my peers...but it kind of calls into question the idea that capitalists have more influence among atheists than on theists.

I think it may have something to do with the change in the zietgeist since 9/11 2001. This, and other events since, for example the legal push by creationists for 'equal time', has disturbed what was until 9/11 a comparatively relaxed status quo. Or, if not relaxed, at least outside of the awareness of most people.

I think 9/11 kicked the hornets nest both politically and in terms of raising people's awareness of religion and religious - atheist controversy. It appears to have resulted in an increase in religious polarisation and a surge from the neoconservative right.

There has also been the legal push from the creationist science movement. Perhaps the most famous example is the Kitzmiller Vs Dover Area School District case which started in September 26th 2005. This resulted from the school board introducing a statement that they required teachers to read to students in the 9th grade biology class 'warning' of the 'weakness' of evolution as 'only' a theory and encouraging students to reference the creationist book 'Of Pandas and people' for an 'alternative'.

Kenneth Miller (Professor of Biology and Royce Family Professor for Teaching Excellence at Brown University, Rhode Island) played a major role in this trial as an expert witness for the plaintifs, as did Robert T. Pennock (Philosopher and associate professor at Mitchigan State University). Both are renowned authors, critical of ID.

Other authors have also commented. Both Daniel Dennett and Richard Dawkins have written articles on the Dover trial. Both of these people are members of what has come to be termed 'The Four Horsemen', a group comprised of Richard Dawkins, Dan Denntett, Sam harris and Christopher Hitchens.

A number of the best known 'atheist' books of recent years have been published by these authors. The End of Faith (religion, terror and the future of reason) by Sam Harris in 2006, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins in 2006 and God is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens in 2007. Sam Harris' book comments directly on the events of 9/11 in which he makes the point (among many others) that it is entirely possible for a person to be sufficiently highly educated to build a nuclear device, and still believe he's going to get the 70 virgins afterwards. All these authors comment on the uneasy relationship between religion and politics (particularly Hitchens).

A cynic might suppose that these individuals, like literary surfers, simply recognised a good wave when they saw one, and are taking best advantage of it. However, the wave is not of their making and it cannot be said of any of them (if you check their histories), that they do not believe what they are saying. They have been saying it for years and I think it is just the change in the public mood over the last six years that has resuted in so many more people paying attention. I think these books would have been written anyway (in light of the events of this decade), but to make them best sellers, people have to want to read them. I doubt also that it's just a case of 'following the money' (or 'Oooh, look! That sells, I must write something similarly controversial'), as these particular books were all published at more or less the same time.

"Glider" has said what I think. It started with '9/11'

Lot's of 'relaxed' atheists were disturbed enough to be 'activated'.

They started to see 'religion' as a 'real', current, in-their-town problem.

I certainly think it raised general consciousness of fundamental religion and resulted in a strong polarisation (e.g. with Christians becoming more Christian, so to speak). Sam Harris' book is more or less a direct result of that event. Christopher Hitchins discusses it in chapter 2 (Religion Kills) of his book God is Not Great, but also discusses broader events, such as Bosnia, Ireland, Beirut and so-on. Some of the event related there must certainly ring bells in the minds of people 'sensitized' by the events of 9/11.

However, I wouldn't underestimate the influence of the Dover trial either. That was simply the most recent (and arguably the most famous) example of a long-running issue since the Scopes trial of 1925.

All the authors I mentioned have commented on and been involved in some way in the post mortem of the Dover trial (YouTube is full of this material). In one documentary, Richard Dawkins, David Attenborough and Ken Miller all comment within the first 90 seconds and express their perception of the ID movement (as the latest iteration to creationism) as a direct threat to the teaching of science. This is particularly timely as the ID movement has now crossed the Atlantic and has been set up in Britain.