The entire reason changing the past is impossible

Zeo

Do you think this is true?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think this is true?

• no
    • yes
    • umm...
    • how should I know? I'm too stupid to understand...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the individual travelling quickly doesn't ever experience this one dimensionality, however from his point of view, the universe does. remember relativity is relative, everythin seems perfectly normal to you, just everything else is whizzing by at great rate of knots, as can be summed up conscisely by Einstein's phrase 'when will oxford arrive at the train' (it could be cambridge so I said oxford to annoy MrL)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

well, say u did go back and kill ur grandfather woludent u juss mess up another timeline? not your own? since u went back u entered another time line and screwed that one up so nothing would actually ahpen to you since you came from another timeline where ur grandfather didnt die. juss my thought

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, thank you. I actually meant to go past that with FTL. Lightspeed should be reachable then by matter, but once hit, that matter would instantly be turned singular.

Perhaps the black hole causing factor in super novas then?

• 4 weeks later...

If you were able to travel back in time, it would be absolutely paramount that you not interact in any way with entities that could have an affect on the local timeline.

In other words travellers - unless they were stupid, careless, accidentally transported, or deliberately damaging the timeline - would have to take measures to ensure nobody native to the local time encountered them.

and, if changing the past IS possible, then the farther back in time, the less you can impact the past without changing the future. if you went back to the birth of the earth, dropped a piece of paper into the lava, then went back home, everything would be completely different.

although, my personal theory is that when you go back into the past, you are in the past, which means that it already happened, which means that despite your efforts, you were not able to change it... etc.. a.k.a. the present is a result of the past, and the past is just that, the past.

• 2 months later...

you should see what happens in the year 2095! and I do so wish you`de all stop talking about me when I`m not paying attention :)

seriously tho, Changing OUR past would be impossible sure, because it`s already "writen on". changing "A" past and therfore creating a new timeline would not be, as in going back to a time where it wasn`t already writen so to speak.

it would be pefectly legal to change the past now while it`s the pressent and move onto the future on a mission to come back to the now (or past) armed with the info of WHY you`re doing or saying these things in the NOW however :)

• 5 months later...

Ok, here we go,

If accordance to the pathways theory of time- every decision made breaks time into several different pathways (One for each possible outcome). Each one of those pathways then split at the next decision. It is my opinion that the universe once began with one path, and at each subtle change, the pathway split.

So if you were able to return back into time, you would have to secure the identity of each path. If you didn't do this, you would have literally trillions upon trillions (ect...) of dimensions to venture to. Each possibility within the history of the timeline pathway would...duh...be possible. So in turn, you could end up in any of the pathways in the history of time!

Therefore, if you were to identify the exact path, and you were to travel to it (laughable), and you were to kill your grandfather, that specific pathway would split once again- simply continuing on into a dimension in which your grandfather, father, you, your children, your children, their children, and so on, do not exist. The universe would not collapse, however it would continue into a mass of new pathways.

However in your timeline, you would no longer exist. So, your dimension would also split, and continue splitting normally forever.

Once again, in every concious change or decision or choice ever made in time, I feel that the time path has split. And each one of those sub-paths has continued forever, no matter if we're here or not. Thus, we exist in trillions of dimensions, just not exactly as we are now.

Just a thought, lol.

Thanks,

Alex

Edit-Typo :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Time travel is just ideas. Nobody knows how causality really works, so untill we build a time machine its just people arguing with no evidence to support anybody's claims. Which is why I dont like discussions about time travel, becausee everyone always argues their point while generally not accepting others. It is irritating.