Omg!

ydoaPs

OK, I'll play along, since you've given us so much to work with. What reactor? Was it training or the real deal? How did it happen? How was it handled? What was your part in it? Was there any real danger? How often does this happen? How much cannibalism is there in the US Navy as opposed to the British Navy? Have you found any toothmarks on your body? Did anyone tell you the Navy frowns on leaking critical reactor stories over the net?

OK, I'll play along, since you've given us so much to work with. What reactor?
The Modifications and Additions to Reactor Facilities plant....you know, the one I work at.

Was it training or the real deal?
Part of the purpose of the reactor is for training, but it is the real deal. I guess that means you can say both.

How did it happen? How was it handled?
The same way it always is.

What was your part in it?
I didn't have one. I wasn't at the plant when it went critical.

Was there any real danger?
I guess that depends on where you are.

How often does this happen?
More often than most people think.

How much cannibalism is there in the US Navy as opposed to the British Navy?
I don't know about the British Navy, but we only eat the electricians.

[hide]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_reactor_physics[/hide]

aren't nuclear reactors supposed to be critical anyway? isn't that how they work by sustaining a chain reaction?

That's the joke. TV makes it sound like this is a horrible, dangerous thing.

Prompt critical is a dangerous thing. Prompt supercritical is a horrible, horrible, dangerous thing.

That's the joke. TV makes it sound like this is a horrible, dangerous thing.
Yeah, this was the first time MARF has been critical in a while. We just came out of another extended shutdown.

Prompt critical is a dangerous thing. Prompt supercritical is a horrible, horrible, dangerous thing.

The links I posted above about SL-1 are just one example of what can happen in a prompt critical reactor. I don't think I know of a prompt supercritical accident.

The links I posted above about SL-1 are just one example of what can happen in a prompt critical reactor. I don't think I know of a prompt supercritical accident.

Sl-1 was probably prompt supercritical. Realistically it had to be, any increase in power requires supercriticality, but it's really semantics. Prompt critical is more a boundary that you cross than a state you are in.

Sl-1 was probably prompt supercritical. Realistically it had to be, any increase in power requires supercriticality, but it's really semantics.

Prompt critical is extremely supercritical anyway, because there are source neutrons and delayed neutron in addition to the prompt neutrons.

Prompt critical is more a boundary that you cross than a state you are in.

I guess you're right, there. It would be highly unlikely that the guy pulled out the control rod just enough to make it exactly prompt critical. It's still a great story, though.