Gay marriage ban in constitution?

fafalone

Our president has officially announced his desire to have a consitutional amendment that prevents homosexual couples from being married, but allows for a "civil union" where full rights are "guaranteed".

Apparently Bush missed the part of intro to political science where "separate but equal" was found to be inherently discriminatory. And the part about separation of church and state. And the 14th amendment.

He also keeps insisting the people should decide this matter, since he also seems to have missed the basic concept of why we have a republic and not a democracy.. because the majority can too easily trample the rights of the minority.

Even Tom DeLay (House Majority Leader R-Texas) opposes a constitutional amendment on gay marriage. I think such an amendment would devalue the constitution, and would believe so regardless of my opinion on gay marriages.

Our president has officially announced his desire to have a consitutional amendment that prevents homosexual couples from being married, but allows for a "civil union" where full rights are "guaranteed".

.....and the part about separation of church and state.

Marriage is a church function, civil union is what the government handles. I say let the churches decide if they want to marry people.

How can that be a rule, I don't get it. In israel the state is not 100% seperated from religion, so in order to get married you MUST marry in a religious form. But the usa should (err correct me if I'm wrong?) be democratic and religion-seperated from the state so WHY would this rule be anything *but* descriminating?

~moo

blike said in post # :

Marriage is a church function

The only way I can see that you can get this is by circular reasoning, combined with the no true scotsman fallacy.

Marriage can (and often is) secular as well duder.

blike said in post # :

Marriage is a church function, civil union is what the government handles. I say let the churches decide if they want to marry people.

No, the government gives you a amarriage license which states you are legally married. The rights granted to a couple with a civil union and a marraige are VERY different.

Unfortunately in israel it's different. You get marriage ONLY if the religious institute "allows" you to get married.

That's why many go to get married OUT of the country..

but anyways, how can bush stop gay marriages by law?? isn't that against the constitution?? I really don't get it :|

~moo

Sayonara³ said in post # :

How so?

Well, for example say a guy gets into a car crash and is put in the hospital. If the guy is married to a woman, his wife can make any decision that needs to be made on his behalf. IF the same guy is gay his partner cannot make any of those decisions.

Aegir said in post # :

Well, for example say a guy gets into a car crash and is put in the hospital. If the guy is married to a woman, his wife can make any decision that needs to be made on his behalf. IF the same guy is gay his partner cannot make any of those decisions.

I'm not sure I follow.

You said that the rights were different for civil unions and marriages. In your example above I assume that you mean the man and the woman are married. Did the gay couple get married, or do they have a civil union?

If the former, would having a civil union instead of a marriage grant them that right? If the latter, would marriage grant them that right?