Has anybody here ever been called a "intellectual snob" or something similar?

Reaper

Just out of curiosity, has anybody viewed you as some sort of snob because of your intellectual skills?

Just this week, my parents called me some sort of intellectual snob! Well, it isn't my fault that their arguments are usually riddled with logical fallacies (usually the appeal to emotion or hasty generalizations/conclusions), or that most people use (or even worse, teach) inaccurate information. The thanks I get for trying to enlighten them...

Just out of curiosity, has anybody viewed you as some sort of [intellectual] snob ...

Yes. http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=66772&postcount=30. Can't remember that happening outside the internet.

... because of your intellectual skills?

No. Think it was rather the fact that I disagreed with Mr. Robertson on a few of his points.

Just this week, my parents called me some sort of intellectual snob! Well, it isn't my fault that their arguments are usually riddled with logical fallacies (usually the appeal to emotion or hasty generalizations/conclusions), or that most people use (or even worse, teach) inaccurate information. The thanks I get for trying to enlighten them...

Dunno the situation, perhaps they meant "emotionless borg" or something like that. I personally think that there is much more to human emotions/thinking/... than just logic. Or to complete the statement coming from the other direction: I don't think understanding human emotions/thoughts/... is not possible with logics alone. Can't logically prove that, though :D.

Also note (or even better: accept) that not all people want to be enlightened. E.g.: I take the risk of my soul being lost for all eternity when a couple of complete strangers stands on my door wanting to talk about the bible with me. So I tell them politely that I am not interested in such a discussion and then say it a few times more because they don't seem to respect that (which puts me into the situation to re-examine the adjective "politely" in my approach to the situation). Mapping the situation onto yours, perhaps you're just getting on the nerves of your family and they can't just slam the door.

nope never been called that, Geek, Nerd "know too much for your own good" and the like yeah, but not so much now.

at my age it happens less frequently, you become more a cause of Fascination than any pejorative.

no one has anything to "Prove" to anyone anymore, there`s no Competitiveness involved, you`re just handy to know if X,Y or Z happens :)

Never been called a snob before, but I have had comments such as...'oh, ok Mr Science', or 'you think too much', but I've never been labeled as pompous.

I've had similar occasions (to yours Lockheed) with my folks when I was younger, but it's probably better to humour them, or just shrug it off... without really knowing what you were talking about, it's hard to gauge whether you were right in pointing out their errors i.e whether it was necessary.

It's quite rewarding when a friend shouts "<insert real name here>, do you know anything about this...why does that happen ?" To which I shrug and start a new thread on here ;)

Yes, but they were beneath me.

Yeah, I hate it when the little people do that.

I've heard comments similar to the "Ok, Mr Science" Snail mentioned, and had people roll their eyes at me when I try to explain how they are wasting time/money on some unscientific scam (I am related to a large number of people who simply do not understand science. It's a little frightening)

Just out of curiosity, has anybody viewed you as some sort of snob because of your intellectual skills?

You weren't called a snob because of your intellectual skills, you were called a snob because you are one. "The thanks I get for trying to enlighten them." Ass.

And yes, I've been called an intellectual snob (or something equivalent) lots of times. To be fair, though, I am one in a lot of ways. I went to the (intellectually) snobbiest school in America. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to hide the amusement from my voice when I think somebody is being stupid or pretentious. And I'm ridiculously hard to impress. That's just who I am. Doesn't mean I'm not a nice guy...

I've never had anyone call me anything bad without them just joking about it, but usually, the worst is when they don't say anything. It's much worse when they just stare at your direction with nothing but loathing or some other emotion like that. Or even just laughing behind your back when you walk by (both has happened to me).

When they say that you are an "intellectual snob" or anything else related to that, at least they're admitting that you're smart.

You weren't called a snob because of your intellectual skills, you were called a snob because you are one. "The thanks I get for trying to enlighten them." Ass.

what, can't you appreciate my sarcastic humor :P

I've never had anyone call me anything bad without them just joking about it' date=' but usually, the worst is when they [i']don't[/i] say anything. It's much worse when they just stare at your direction with nothing but loathing or some other emotion like that. Or even just laughing behind your back when you walk by (both has happened to me).

Yeah I know. I've had that happen quite a few times. I don't really take as much offense though, because it usually means a sign of resignation, or that maybe they do understand they are wrong at least.

When they say that you are an "intellectual snob" or anything else related to that, at least they're admitting that you're smart.

I suppose, but the fact that its a pejorative term can be unsettling.

Stop making any effort to change their minds. If they're interested, explain something but don't have a brain-burp.

Its not about changing their minds though.

Dunno the situation, perhaps they meant "emotionless borg" or something like that. I personally think that there is much more to human emotions/thinking/... than just logic. Or to complete the statement coming from the other direction: I don't think understanding human emotions/thoughts/... is not possible with logics alone. Can't logically prove that, though :D.

Not quite. It wasn't a comment about lack of emotion. Pretty much, it was a comment about the fact that I tend to be critical of everything (In this particular case I was criticizing my high school for teaching inaccurate information and/or "half-truths"). Another thing that really gets them (Not just my family that is) is the fact that I could be critical of things that most people don't really think about or question.