Documentary on Einstein Wrong

mcwilliams

A friend of mine knows the director of a documentary film that is in post production and that has two Oscar-winning distributors interested in the rough cut. The title is "Einstein Wrong - The Miracle Year". Although the director is involved in the field for over a decade, it is not about his own personal ideas about Einstein being wrong, but about the growing community around the world who is showing Special Relativity to be wrong and General Relativity to have no mechanism. It is also a human drama about the family in this film and together the themes are creating a buzz in the documentary world here in Los Angeles. The film has a website and trailer at http://www.einsteinwrong.com. The director is not divulging what is wrong in the trailer and I guess we will have to see the film. But my friend who has seen one scene from the movie, says there is some pretty damning stuff in it.

Well, here's a little promo:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2707332488059305178

And here's a discussion in PhysOrg.com about it: http://www.physorg.com/news6713.html

I would have to actually watch what the movie is saying to form an opinion, but I have to say that putting out "Einstein's Wrong" in a movie demands some pretty heavy facts to back it up.

But then again, it claims that it's not about Einstein being wrong, so I guess I'm just a tinsy bit worried about having another "What the bleep" type idiocy, and that is making me paranoid.

The websites says it should have been out already, but I couldn't find anything. Anyone knows what or where this could be watched?

~moo

Actually I heard that one GPS engineer who is wealthy from his GPS work is one of the investors in the film and talks about how they don't use relativity in GPS. It is more of a myth and that GPS people are afraid to say they don't use relativity because it rocks the boat with the public.

soo... all the research satellites designed specifically to conduct experiments on relativity are lying are they? and i suppose gravity probe B isn't doing a relativity experiment either oh and i suppose the observed mass change of particles in particle accelerators that agrees with relativistic predictions is a lie too.

here is some stuff for SR alone

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

and can you explain why the GPS signals have a different frequency down here than the frequency they transmit at up there? and why it agrees with predctions made by GR?

yet another conspiracy theorist/evolution denier/crackpot/whatever, they're all the same to me......

Given that this post is primarily an advertisement, I'm not even going to waste my time looking at the site.....

No use in making arguments either, this guy will not listen....

NEXT!

*Pushes button, mcwilliams disappears under trapdoor*

Actually I heard that one GPS engineer who is wealthy from his GPS work is one of the investors in the film and talks about how they don't use relativity in GPS. It is more of a myth and that GPS people are afraid to say they don't use relativity because it rocks the boat with the public.

This must be none other than Tom Van Flandern.

He was at one time a very good astronomer but lately has been into psychoceramics. Yes, he was consultant on GPS. He did not design, develop, implement, operate, or maintain the system. He was just a consultant. Big goverment projects hire lots of consultants who often contribute nothing. Van Flandern is wrong about GPS not using relativistic corrections (they do; both general and special relativistic clock corrections are needed). The myth is that they don't.

That's an interesting statement considering I've never seen a commercial advocating a GPS-based navigation system with "it's based on a hundred year-old physics theory you don't understand, anyways".

Well, there's four and half minutes of my life I will never get back. It was a bunch of hand waving trying to generate hype with no claims. I would enjoy watching a healthy exploration of the the faults and limitations of Einstein's work, but to suggest outright that he's wrong and then narrate this crap with an ominous voice and no claims or specifics (not one... not a single one) is disturbing. Why don't we teach kids that condoms make your dick fall off too.

We MUST be right, otherwise they wouldn't be attacking us so forcefully. :doh:

Wow... I'm not in a good mood. Sorry y'all. :rolleyes:

Here's a Salon.com article on Van Flandern.

The article discusses Van Flandern's claims regarding GPS, his claims regarding relativity, and other items. Basically, Van Flandern went off the deep end and has been van floundering ever since.

Wow, good article — I think the synopsis of crankery was nicely done. (Though I cringe whenever TVF's former affiliation is mentioned. I believe he still comes to the occasional colloquium.)

I do know that the GPS guy in the film is not Van Flandern.

I'm amazed. 90% or more of engineers and experimental physicists know special relativity is dead. Why do people hang on to this stuff?? Because pretending to understand Einstein makes one feel smart? Oh well...

I'm amazed. 90% or more of engineers and experimental physicists know special relativity is dead. Why do people hang on to this stuff?? Because pretending to understand Einstein makes one feel smart? Oh well...

Uh, if they "know" this, why don't they publish it in the scientific journals? Showing SR to be wrong -- and the data involved -- would guarantee both publication in an physics journal AND grant funding for the rest of the scientist's career. But they don't.

PLEASE! Do some critical thinking on your own! You haven't provided ANY data that SR is wrong and there are mountains of data supporting it: starting with that 1919 solar eclipse where bending of light was first observed.

What EXACTLY do "90% or more of engineers and experimental physics" think the data is that shows special relativity to be dead?

All the people working on M Theory or Loop Quantum Gravity accept SR as valid: their theories have to correspond to SR but add quantum gravity.

Uh, if they "know" this, why don't they publish it in the scientific journals? Showing SR to be wrong -- and the data involved -- would guarantee both publication in an physics journal AND grant funding for the rest of the scientist's career. But they don't.

This statement is all that is needed in order to piss on these sort of sales theatrics.

I think that purported science documentaries need a regulatory statement, along the lines of my Selsun dandruff shampoo bottle's statement of - 'medically proven' ;) . I'm serious.

Although, to be fair. It was originally posted in pseudoscience, was it not?

He,he ...David de Hilster is president of the Society for the Advancement of Autodynamics...

When the sun is screened out by the moon, it blocks lots of pico-gravitons, de Hilster said, so it makes sense that a pendulum's swing would change slightly.

Mainstream physicists have considered autodynamics a crackpot theory for decades, and most agree that an experiment at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center in 1984 proved the theory wrong.

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/1999/07/20663

Autodynamics was proposed by Ricardo Carezani in the early 1940s as a replacement for Einstein's theories of special relativity and general relativity.

The primary claim of Autodynamics is that the equations of the Lorentz transformation are incorrectly formulated to describe relativistic effects, which would invalidate special relativity, general relativity, and Maxwell's equations.

Autodynamics is wholly rejected by the mainstream scientific community.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodynamics

That's news to me. But then, 78.2% of all statistics are made up.

i would really like to see which source(actually, for something this big, it will need to be sourceS. probably at least 20 if they are really reliable.) you got that from. if that many people thought with good reason that it was baloney then we would know about it. scientists and engneers don't bottle discoveries up to themselves, they publish it everywhere they can to make sure they're right and if something like this was true then there would probably be a nobel in it. thats like the holy grail to a lot of scientists, they wouldn't keep quiet. what would the advantage be?

Because SR is a conspiracy by the CIA and the MIT and you'd get into real problems if you publically spoke out against it. It's pretty obvious to people being able to think outside the box: According to E=mc², all you need to do to build a nuke is putting two half-spheres of plutonium together. Why doesn't every country in the world have nukes, then? Because it's a lie! SR is a scam as every sane person instantly realizes without ever having to bother with the mathematics behind it. The CIA holds back the real theory to prevent <insert a trendy enemy here> from getting their dirty hands on nuclear weapons. The real theory of course is a quantum theory because at the atomic level we need quantum theories. Einstein knew that his theory was wrong and that a quantum theory secretly replaced his - that's the reason why he spokre out against quantum mechanics and ultimately was killed by the CIA for doing so.

Einstein walked on the water and I know that its true.........

How many people do ya thinnk would drink their own urine if they heard that Einstein drank his......hundreds of thousands?, millions?......

Elvis had nothing on that dude.

Did you ever hear about what happened to Einstein's brain? Some guy named Thomas Harvey took it out and kept (most of) it for years in a mayonnaise jar....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2004/apr/08/science.research

http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/diamond_einstein.htm

90% or more of engineers and experimental physicists know special relativity is dead.
One of the most complete untruths I have ever seen posted here at SFN.
Why do people hang on to this stuff?? Because pretending to understand Einstein makes one feel smart?
Just because it's not intuitive to you doesn't make it wrong. And you shouldn't feel stupid because you don't understand it, you should feel stupid for not making a better attempt to understand it before condemning it.

As insane_alien said, this is spamvertising. No more Googly help for *you*.

Thread closed.