question pls

Shygirl

The poster clearly wants info on realativity. The minimalist nature of texting demands that the extra vowel not be a typo. Sadly, I'm more knowledgeable in fakativity.

However, if anyone wants to discuss relativity and is willing to type actual words, there are several who generally (or specially) help out.

the relativity... wer like.. like u no how they show that pic of like a grid and a ball bends it... and thats sposed 2 b like.. bending time or somthng... or time corelates with gravity maby? or maby the grid is gravity but i dont get that... and then i dont get like... if light is chasing someone... and ther running away from the light.. lets say ther running at like the speed of light... so to them.. the light doesnt catch them... but to someoen standing on the side watchng... sees somthing totally different.. he sees the light catching him RELLY fast..

ok and like lets say u shoot a gun... and the bullet goes like 300 mph...

so then you get on a train moving west at 300 mph... and you shoot a bullet east... will the bullet not move to someone standing on the side?

and like lets say you shoot hte bullet west... will it be moving at 600 mph?

and lets say the speed of light is like.. 3 million mph

so if your on a train going 300... will the speed of light now be 3 million 300?

and wut if ur going almost the speed of light.. and you shine a flash light... will that light be going 6 million mph?

EDIT: how do we know were not moving at the speed of light?

like... you have so much to think of...

the earth is spinning on its axis... so like if you look at a point in space.. rite in front of ur nose.. wait 1 second and that point could be millions of miles.. or evne light years away... like the earth spins incredibly fast.. then add into that the earth moving around the sun... then add to taht the solar systim moving arounf the galazy... then add to that the galaxy expanding.... if we belvie in the big bang then we can say that the universe is still expanding and that explosion wud send everything out at incredably high speeds.. like maby even the speed of light.. maby a little les... but when you think of a point of space.. like 1 point.. then man kind is alredy on a space ship moving at incredably incredably fast speeds...

another thing... if you have 40 lbs of push... like.. a rocket pack... you have a rocket pack that has 40 lbs of push.. so we remeber that that 40 lbs is relative to earth... so if your on earth.. unless you weigh less then 40 lbs the rocket pack isnt going to push you up...

but if your inspace... if your sitting in a single point in space... and you added 40 lbs of push.. the only resistance would be your inertia and maby a little from gravity from other planets but not enough to count... but after your inertia gets going... if you keep that 40 lbs of push you will keep excelerating... i dont like using MPH cuz thats relative to earth... so lets pretend we had a grid of space... each point on that grid is 1 feet apart... so 1st you would be moving at like 2 points per second... since your inertia wants to stay at rest... but as the 40lbs of push persists.. you would move faster and faster... 50 points per second 70 points per second 900 points for second.. it would keep going up unlimitedly untill it ran out of fuel to push or another force acted on it... so in this way you could get to an unlimited amount of speed... i dont understand why scientists say its imposible to reach the speed of light.. when relly in retrospective... we could be moving thru space at the speed of light even now

You know how when you're like, going somewhere, you have these two coordinates at all times, north/south, east/west, and the numbers keep changing as you move, but you also have another set of numbers, up and down, and you also have your clock, so now you have 4 sets of numbers, left/right, back/forward, up/down, and time, 4 dimensional, 3d+, that's spacetime. Without one of the numbers, you wouldn't know where you truly are on your path ...

Are you truly asking a question shygirl, or are you trying to make yourself feel superior to a group of people who enjoy discussing such topics? If the first, then please use words. We're not here posting on our cell phones, so it seems rather unnecessary 2pst w txt spEk. The folks here are more about l33t anyway, but the point is to be legible to any readers from any country (it's especially challenging if English is not a first language... proper language structure allows the maximum number of people to understand you).

If you're trying to feel superior, then I'd suggest the best way is to truly spend some time learning about the universe, and sharing that knowledge with others, so we as a species won't die out due to a lack of ability or coherence.

Btw... I didn't mean that in the quantum sense. :cool:

I'm a lot more fun in person and after a few margaritis. Don't take it personally. ;)

If you look at the pic at the top of the link, you see how radio waves sent from one side of the solar system to the other side get warped by the gravity of the sun. This actually slows down the time that it would normally take the radio waves to get there. This is a form of bending light, just radio waves that are in a different part of the spectrum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Introduction_to_general_relativity

the earth is spinning on its axis... so like if you look at a point in space.. rite in front of ur nose.. wait 1 second and that point could be millions of miles.. or evne light years away... like the earth spins incredibly fast.. then add into that the earth moving around the sun... then add to taht the solar systim moving arounf the galazy... then add to that the galaxy expanding.... if we belvie in the big bang then we can say that the universe is still expanding and that explosion wud send everything out at incredably high speeds.. like maby even the speed of light.. maby a little les... but when you think of a point of space.. like 1 point.. then man kind is alredy on a space ship moving at incredably incredably fast speeds...

The thing is that, although the outer crust of the earth is spinning very fast, it is still only making one revolution every 24 hours. As you watch a star in the sky, it is actually moving with relation to us, just as fast as the sun crosses the sky.

Another thing to think about is this. Lets say that light from a supernova moves from left to right across the sky at the speed of light and it is 2 million light years away. That far away, the width of one light year would be like totally imperceptible without a telescope that could even see that far, and then, with the telescope and it being that far away, it would still take an entire year for it to move that relatively small distance.

ok... sory but i dont get how im trying to feel superior.. im asking questions so how is that superior... i came here 2 learn lol

and like... ok none of those explanations helpd me...

im kinda dumb so like.. can u maby break it down...

for example... a smart person would say this.. amino acids form the building blocks of life.. chains of them make protiens and stuff....

but like an exampe of breaking that down would be like... amino acids are made up of hydrogen carbon oxenen nitrogen helium.. if the tempature of conditisona are 4000 degress and carbon is plenty full then they will fuse into amino acids.. by chance amino acids can fuse together to make enzymes...

like sory.. do you understand what im saying tho... can you break it down.. i dont relly like to just know somthing to know it... i like to have a full broken down explanation of why it happens and what forces are doing it... so that i can have a complete understanding of it and no doubts of it... and i can fit it into the over all explanation of the universe... i mean.. is this like magic... you guys are making it sound like... split dimensions.. one person sees one thing another sees another thing...

sory to be random here... but does string theory fit together with this

I think you need a personal touch, you know, get friendly with one of the total nerds in your class who can take the time to help you understand it. What you ask for is quite comprehensive, and I agree with you about the string theory. According to Bill Gates, nerds will rule the world, so you should be friendly to nerds.

ok i get what you mean, Inow was just being a bit sad (go Inow ur so cool!)

so what dont u get?

yep ur right agentchange i used to be the high school wagger (skip school on some days when i dont wanna go) and I didnt get anything-the best way is to give presents to your science teacher or with those geeks with the super giant harry potter glasses. that always helps

ok 1st thing... ther r no such things as geeks n e mor... im 15.. and like.. the smartest kids r just the kids that do ther homework and study for tests...

as far as i no.. no1 in my school nos what relativity.. or even fusion is.. if they do ther 2 embarased to talk about it lol

geeks r so like 30 years ago... now the school is like ths...

jocks and barbies

normal peeps

nobodys

losers

weirdos

jocks and barbies r just the relly sporty peeps...

normal peeps r just the peeps that hang out with ther frends

nobodys.. "me" r just the peeps that never talk.. i hav this phobia that like makes me scared of uncomfertable situations... n im relly shy n i never no what 2 say to peeps so i just dont talk that much... most people just.. dont know you exist lol

losers.. ther the peeps that TRY to be cool.. ther not them selvs...

weirds r the girls with split ends and the poor peeps.. no1 likes them cuz ther gross... not 2 b mean but wen i walk down the hall.. if i c one i holf my breath and exhale wen i walk by... so i dont like breath ther air......

no1 is mean 2 n e 1.... unless ur mean 1st or trynig 2 b some1 ur not.. no1 will like make fun of u... most peeps just hang with ther frends and leev each other alone.......

so u older peeps.... ther r no bullys... ther r no geeks or nerds

sorry 2 get so off subject but like this other forum i was in i had 2 explain that 2.... it seems like all parents think schools r this whole different thing.. n ther not....

ok 1st thing... ther r no such things as geeks n e mor... im 15.. and like.. the smartest kids r just the kids that do ther homework and study for tests...

as far as i no.. no1 in my school nos what relativity.. or even fusion is.. if they do ther 2 embarased to talk about it lol

geeks r so like 30 years ago... now the school is like ths...

jocks and barbies

normal peeps

nobodys

losers

weirdos

jocks and barbies r just the relly sporty peeps...

normal peeps r just the peeps that hang out with ther frends

nobodys.. "me" r just the peeps that never talk.. i hav this phobia that like makes me scared of uncomfertable situations... n im relly shy n i never no what 2 say to peeps so i just dont talk that much... most people just.. dont know you exist lol

losers.. ther the peeps that TRY to be cool.. ther not them selvs...

weirds r the girls with split ends and the poor peeps.. no1 likes them cuz ther gross... not 2 b mean but wen i walk down the hall.. if i c one i holf my breath and exhale wen i walk by... so i dont like breath ther air......

no1 is mean 2 n e 1.... unless ur mean 1st or trynig 2 b some1 ur not.. no1 will like make fun of u... most peeps just hang with ther frends and leev each other alone.......

so u older peeps.... ther r no bullys... ther r no geeks or nerds

sorry 2 get so off subject but like this other forum i was in i had 2 explain that 2.... it seems like all parents think schools r this whole different thing.. n ther not....

I wont simply just advise against the text use, but past the initial spectacle of it all you might not find to many people interested in your threads. If you like to ask questions, like I do, speaking or typing in more proper English is the fit choice to make. You don’t have to be a grammar Nazi or anything, just use whole words for instance, such as instead of IDK, use, I don’t know. I don’t really feel its a social conundrum really as much as it will simply make the use of the boards easier for you.

-----------------------

Many concepts in physics are not easy to apply with words. The effects on observers for instance can be shown in math, and then of course it does occur in reality. One example of the physical world, though not directed related would be the idea that at a distance you will see the motion of someone dribbling a basketball before you hear the noise, dimensions such as distance in relation to the difference in speed and sound are some of the things that produce this phenomena. Think of relativity basically like that, as something that occurs naturally, its just that the people that typically study this stuff do it mainly with math, like blackboards filled to the limit with such.

we are trying to help the non-native english speakers on the board of which there are many.

i speak english natively and even i'm having trouble reading your posts. 'txtspk' is fine for sending a short message when details are not that important. but when you are trying to get information on a topic like relativity, details are important and txtspk becomes a really poor method of communication.

it doesn't have to be great english but the closer your words are to actual words in the dictionary, the better we can understand you and help you out.

Shygirl...just type relativity in 'search', you'll find plenty of discussion on the subject, with many posts describing the principles in layman terms.

You appear (judging from your OP) that you're familiar with the analogies of relativity, (bowling ball on a trampoline) so you at least have a starting point. Avoid any threads in speculations, because they're misleading, and well...speculative.

EDIT: I'll look for some useful links / threads, as (first sentence) the above advice will be too tricky to find what is relevant.

Shygirl

I think you should start by reading about special relativity (SR) before going into general relativity (GR). I think that you are confused about SR, because you didn't start learning from the basic.

SR is build on the postulate that c (the speed of light) is constant. Read about the Michelson-Morey experiment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson-Morley_experiment

Basicly they thaugth that because of earth rotation, the speed of light will be faster in the direction of earth rotation than the speed in a direction perpendicular to earth rotation. But they found no difference in speed ! No matter the direction they mesure the speed of light, it is always the same.

From there Einstein builded SR. I wont go to far into that for now . Hope that it will help you. wikipedia is your best friend :)

Good sugestion Snail, Newtonian physics would be a good foundation, to then move onto Einstein.

May I also sugest a very good book to Shygirl.

'Sophie's world - by Jostien Gaarder'

It very elequently and consicley explains the last 2000 years of science and philosophy. All told through the eyes of a 15 year old girl.

lol honestly im not big on reading stuff im not interested in...

iv read napoleon.. alexander.. hitler.. osama.. all of those peeps... iv read books on fusion.. phisics put me to sleep trying to understand all the numbers.. chaos theory had 2 big of words and relativity has to big of words

also i travel alot with my dad so its not like i can go to the library and check out a book

are they any online essays or somthing?

personalyl id rather have someone explain to me in person so that i can ask questions.. thats the best way to understand

for example... a book my say.. 'the earth is a sphere" well 1st thing.. its round liek a ball... lose the big words... and 2nd.. just cuz u say its round.. y shud u trust u... explain 2 me how we know its round.. u cud say gravity pulls everything toward the center maknig it round.. then you could show evidence that all things with a large mass are round and smaller things like asteroids that havnt enough mass doesnt have the power to make them a perfect sphere by them selvs...

see? also i like to argue points.. you cant relly argue with a book