Who among us are professional scientists?

CDarwin

This has probably all ready been done, but its buried so far down the board that I can't find by browsing, so we might as well do another one.

Who here actually works in a scientific field? Be honest now. I may wish I was Head of the Max Plank Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology with 3 PhDs, and a D.Sc. from Oxford and but I'm not.

But for those of you who aren't presumptuous high school students, give us your field and position, if you will. Education would be interesting too.

Mechanical Engineering - Metal Casting Technician is the dipolma basically. Too many different things I can do, to list. Very unknown "sector" really.

I've done a co-op for the Canadian government research branch of CANMET Natural Resources in their material sector/casting lab....pheww.

I want to get my NDT certificates within radiology. Then maybe go higher from there but I can't afford crap right now. I am just very interested and very willing to advance as far as my mind lets me.

In the end just a technician, but a funky one at that!

I work as an undergrad in a research lab, and I get paid for my work. Does that make me a professional?

PS - should be publishing sometime in the near future.

I second that question.

I don´t see what´s so hard in understanding the question: If you get your money for working in a lab, then you´re a professional. If you´re employed as a scientist, then you´re a professional scientist. If you´re employed as a lab assistant, then you´re a professional lab assistant. If you´re employed as a student, then you´re a professional student :D. In other words: The answer should be written in your contract.

In other words: The answer should be written in your contract.

I don't remember having a contract as a graduate student research assistant. It was indentured servitude with a small salary.

Anyway, PhD in Atomic physics, working in atomic clock research. (When I'm not pushing papers or electrons around, or other stuff that comes with a government job in an understaffed program)

I don´t see what´s so hard in understanding the question: If you get your money for working in a lab, then you´re a professional. If you´re employed as a scientist, then you´re a professional scientist. If you´re employed as a lab assistant, then you´re a professional lab assistant. If you´re employed as a student, then you´re a professional student :D. In other words: The answer should be written in your contract.

I don't have a contract... it's a part time/ seasonal job.

I have Several contracts, most all the work is done in the Lab (that I also own and run) the rest in the field, and I do indeed get paid for my work!

the only difference is that I`m self employed and so I don`t work for any institutions (unless contracted to do so).

My highest qualification at the moment is an MSc in particle theory and right now I am half way through my PhD in mathematical physics. My research area is classical and quantum field theory and (super)geometry. I also hope to get something published soon.

I would consider myself to be on the road to being a professional scientist.

Any professors?

Nope, but I do some teaching at university if that was what you were asking?

The notion of a professor here in the UK is slightly different to that in Europe and the US.

You don't need to be a professor to post now or anything, I was just asking.

I think people are missing the point of this a little... I didn't intend for this to be a debate as to who qualifies as a scientist. I just meant non-lay people who work in science. The definition doesn't need to be that precise. You're just satisfying my curiosity and that of whoever else cares by posting.

Shall we also consider those who worked scientifically, but no longer do so?
Given the breadth of the OP I would assume so. But then:

Ah, it's a trap! "Real" scientists are anal meticulous about such things.
:P

Am still working as a postdoc (though hopefully not for that long anymore). Worked in universities as well as research institutes during that time.

Main field is "omics" mostly of prokaryotic systems (i.e. a genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics and a little bit of metabolomics).

This is about to change, a lil bit, though.

I am also involved in teaching and tutoring students and phDs.