Eating for $60 a month.

-Demosthenes-

I'm am not in school. Took the semester off, and I have nothing to do. Also food storage is on sale this week (food storage is big in Utah). I want to see if I can live off of $60 for food for the month of April. Here's my plan so far (maybe I can use what I learn to help save money in the future):

25 lbs. of brown rice

25 lbs. of lentils

12 eggs

4 gallons of milk

assorted fresh vegetables/fruits, mostly red cabbage and bananas

I chose lentils instead of beans because they are a lost easier to cook. Are they as good as beans in nutritional value (beans and rice make a complete protein, do lentils and rice also?)? What vegetables and fruits are inexpensive and healthy?

Broccoli is extremely cheap and it would be really good when mixed with rice. I think milk could be substituted with green tea, at least 1 gallon of it. Heavy foods like potatos, crackers, and pasta are really good for filling you up on a budget. I think eating nothing but rice would suck, you could get half rice and half pasta.

This is a really good idea, I'll have to try this sometime.

Broccoli is extremely cheap and it would be really good when mixed with rice. I think milk could be substituted with green tea, at least 1 gallon of it. Heavy foods like potatos, crackers, and pasta are really good for filling you up on a budget. I think eating nothing but rice would suck, you could get half rice and half pasta.

This is a really good idea, I'll have to try this sometime.

I can't get pasta in bulk, but I think I'll go for some potatoes. Broccoli is good, but it's about a dollar a pound, 20 cents more than cabbage or carrots (from what I can find around here).

I'm gonna hit a few more stores.

60 a month is a Pure Luxury! try £1.13 for 2 weeks!

(about $2.50)

I lived on Milk and canned fish and a half bag of flour that I found on an old boat, yes you CAN live for a month of $60 (£27) VERY easily!

EDIT: oh yeah, and if you KNOW you`re going to be in this situ for a while, plant seeds on some waste ground too, and get yourself an air gun, that`s what I did.

60 a month is a Pure Luxury! try £1.13 for 2 weeks!

(about $2.50)

I lived on Milk and canned fish and a half bag of flour that I found on an old boat, yes you CAN live for a month of $60 (£27) VERY easily!

EDIT: oh yeah, and if you KNOW you`re going to be in this situ for a while, plant seeds on some waste ground too, and get yourself an air gun, that`s what I did.

Just gonna do it for a month.

What can I do with with hard wheat?

Also, could I do with out the eggs if I have rice and lentils?

I can't get pasta in bulk, but I think I'll go for some potatoes.
Why can't you get pasta in bulk? Everybody sells spaghetti in huge packs these days. Ramen has been suggested and it has it's own spices.
Broccoli is good, but it's about a dollar a pound, 20 cents more than cabbage or carrots (from what I can find around here).
Carrots are sweeter and may actually make you hungrier. Cabbage is bland but filling. Broccoli is tastier and probably has more vitamins than cabbage or carrots.
I'm gonna hit a few more stores.
Do you have to buy all this in advance? Your last gallon of milk will probably go bad after a whole month.

Eggs, tuna, peanuts, sesame seed kernels, peanut butter, broccoli with cheese, spinach, etc.

The trick is to get foods high in fiber and protein.

I can easily live healthy on $60 USD a month if forced. The trick is to be a decent cook, have a good understanding of food and health, and be able to keep track of the budget. However, one must remember to take a vitamin.

Rice will make you hungry, and its loaded with carbs. Sugar tends to make many people hungry. I'd stay away from sugar, and find things that curb your appetite.

Why can't you get pasta in bulk? Everybody sells spaghetti in huge packs these days. Ramen has been suggested and it has it's own spices.

I can get 25 lbs. bags of rice, beans, wheat, and lentils, but not pasta. Although I think I saw some 5 lbs. packages of spaghetti.

Carrots are sweeter and may actually make you hungrier. Cabbage is bland but filling. Broccoli is tastier and probably has more vitamins than cabbage or carrots.

I read the red cabbage is "super healthy" (in the produce book at one of the local grocery stores). That's one of the reasons I chose it :P

Do you have to buy all this in advance? Your last gallon of milk will probably go bad after a whole month.

Naw, I'll have to get milk and produce every week.

However, one must remember to take a vitamin.

I've never taken vitamins before, what would you recommend?