A simple homemade Atomic Reactor

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why US didn't use neutron bombs in Vietnam. Would have saved a lot of lives back then...

Didn't have them, perhaps? The development discussion wasn't public until the 80's, IIRC. That, plus the political fallout.

Oops, I forgot that I actually read the interview with Sam Cohen sometime ago, and there it was stated:

"Between 1958 and 1961 the neutron bomb idea was tested successfully, but the politicians in Washington nixed development and deployment of the weapon. Cohen persisted. As the Vietnam War began and festered in the 1960s, Cohen became an advocate of using neutron bombs there. To Cohen, his weapon was "a perfect fit" for dealing with the Viet Cong hidden in the jungles and rice paddies.

Again, the politicians had other ideas. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara ruled that no nuclear weapons of any type would be used in the war. The use of the small neutron bombs would have brought the war to a quick end, Cohen still argues, and saved the loss of more than 50,000 American lives."

the moab is the sequal to the daisycutter and is scheduled to replace it.

also in my first post it should have been <1kiloton however this still can cause large civilian casualties if there are any populated areas within several miles

Hey swansont, how's that fission thing calculated anyway? A formula involving the nucleus' overall binding energy and, uh, something?

You have to know the fission yield curve to get a more precise number, but U-233 and U-235 will be almost the same. And then average the change in binding energy. Pu isn't too much different - They're all right around 200 MeV per average fission. (One source I saw said U-233 is "somewhat less" than U-235, which is 205-210 on average. Another said "about 200.")

• 1 year later...

Hey, think you can teach us an atomic bomb next?

Really easy if you have the ingredients. The most important are :

1. Two 50 kg blocks of 40% Uranium 235

2. Someone happy to commit suicide.

Put a square cross section tube on top of your car. Fix one U235 block at the front. Insert the second at the rear, but well oiled so it can slide.

Get your suicide to ram the car at speed into your target. The sudden stop will drive the rear block into the front one. Thats all folks!

I wonder if any of you noticed, but could this David Hahn dude (kewl-kid) be somehow related to The great Otto Hahn? That would explain his actions ;) !

Or is Hahn a common second name ?

I wonder if any of you noticed' date=' but could this David Hahn dude (kewl-kid) be somehow related to The great Otto Hahn? That would explain his actions ;) !

Or is Hahn a common second name ?[/quote']

Or perhaps it is a pseudonyme.

• 7 months later...
Because the old ones don't have guidance. You can't fit a JDAM unit to it, because it is far too big. You must build a custom guidance, and that takes up space, meaning less explosives.

It would, however, be a rather nasty (powerful, not bad) weapon to drop from a B-52. MOAB only can be dropped from a cargo plane, so the Grand Slam is more versatile.

time to eat some words from that post backwards :cool:

clearly stated: THE MOST powerful non nuclear bomb! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...