A simple homemade Atomic Reactor

and before anyone complains about this post, I have express permission to post it! :)

here`s how to build your own atomic reactor exploiting the decay principals and it`s physical effects.

ALL radioactive isotopes with a high enough decay rate exhibit the physical effect of being several degrees warmer than their ambient temperature, Radium will always be 1 degree C above it`s ambient temp.

the principal is simple, put enough radium into a thermos vacuum flask and fill it with boiling water, the water will gradualy get hotter and create steam. that steam may them be used to drive a small fan (turbine) and in turn a that rotation will turn a small generator ( a little stepper or DC motor shaft).

but where do you get Radium from????

easy :)

goto old secong hand shops or antique shops, buy clocks with luminous dials (they used radium salts in the old ones)

an old aircraft graveyard, the cockpit dials were also radium painted on 1960`s and backwards aircraft.

up untill the late 70`s, some of the 1`st LCD watches had a radium light backlight also. it`ll take some time to find a good source sure, oh yeah, old army surpluss equipment had radium painted dials too :)

use you head, think OLD and Luminous, owning a little geiger counter that you can build in kit form or buy second hand off ebay will be a great help for sure, but not a definate requirement :)

you`ll need enough to roughly quarter fill the flask, the rest is water and a little gap for the steam. those are the bare bone basics anyway, I may post alternative methods later including thermocouples and valve solenoids from old washing machines so the water can be topped up automaticaly as the level drops in the flask (I`ll include the electronics needed too), Enjoy, and happy hunting :)

remember though, this stuff IS TOXIC! and RADIOACTIVE!

some lead roofing sheets wouldn`t be a bad idea either!

a 1 litre flask will if set up correctly will be enough to light a small torch bulb. I never said it was mega efficient either before anyone complains, it`s just a little atomic reactor, nothing else :)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

lead in many cases, and they don`t quite look like the intel men either :)

I tried on one of those aprons they where when the do x-rays, I should imagine an entire suit wouldn`t be that nice to wear either, and certainly not for very long! :)

• 3 months later...