A simple homemade Atomic Reactor

Beta particles through a peice of parafin wax can make Gamma particles too :)

Technically, no. Gammas come from nuclear interactions. Betas being slowed down will emit Bremsstrahlung X-rays. Doesn't need to be wax - just about anything will do. Slamming energetic electrons into metal is a standard way to make X-rays.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed, as in the X-Ray cathodes or Roetogen(sp) ray apparatus.

actualy to find out a bit more, look up a guy called Chadwick and/or Rutherford, both of these guys messed around with these kind of ideas and methods for years, much of it is very interesting work too! :)

You guys have too much time on your hands.

While this next link should probably go in the mechanics section (or even astronomy), I thought it would be most appropriate here, due to the subject matter of these e.mails

Lawnchair Larry

Make sure you guys also check out the guy that played Russian Roulette with a semi-automatic pistol, and the JATO Man

Enjoy!

-Ian

GAMMAS AREN'T PARTICES THEY ARE WAVES

Gammas are Force fields, while electrons etc are Matter fields.

Force fields are usually offshell, while matter happens to be usually onshell. But gamma has the peculiarity of having null mass, so it is easy for them to be on shell, then we call it electromagnetic radiation.

GAMMAS AREN'T PARTICES THEY ARE WAVES

(volume turned down by me)

Gammas are photons from nuclear interactions. They are waves if you look at wave properties, they are particles if you look at particle properties. Gammas can create electron-positron pairs if of sufficient energy; they can cause the photoelectric effect and undergo Compton scattering. Since we were talking about a quantum of energy produced in an interaction, there is really nothing terribly wrong with saying "gamma particle," quasi-redundant though that might be. Certainly nothing so egregious as to elicit your response.

read post # 84

(volume turned down by me)

Gammas are photons from nuclear interactions. They are waves if you look at wave properties' date=' they are particles if you look at particle properties. Gammas can create electron-positron pairs if of sufficient energy; they can cause the photoelectric effect and undergo Compton scattering. Since we were talking about a quantum of energy produced in an interaction, there is really nothing terribly wrong with saying "gamma particle," quasi-redundant though that might be. Certainly nothing so egregious as to elicit your response.[/quote']

true, the americans have one called the MOAB, I`ve forgotten its exact stats, but it`s the biggest non nuclear device ever made. it`s also affectionately known as the Mother Of All Bombs (MOAB). :)

• 4 weeks later...

are these bigger than the largest 'daisy cutter' type bomb which claimed to be the biggest non nuclear device in the film 'outbreak'.

Grandslam was a 10,000 pounder right? used all the time in WW2; for that reason i suggest it might not be the biggest.

Does a V3 exist? or other such IRBMs