Telekinesis

herme3

I'm suddenly interested in the idea of psychic powers. There are rumors of people who can control the minds of others, predict the future, and do many other things with their minds. However, the only form of this power that can be tested by everyone is telekinesis.

You can visit http://www.crystalinks.com/psychokinesis.html to see some instructions about it. I don't have a jar and needle, so I haven't had a chance to perform the experiment yet. However, I am interested in developing this power, and then some. In fact, I have the desire for great psychic power. I want to know what others think about me. I want control of the world around me, and have some influence over the thoughts of others. For once, I want things in my life to start going my way.

Does anyone have any scientific information about this power? What part of the brain allows it to happen? What type of foods can provide more energy for this power? What is the limit to the amount of power I can have? Could I potentially send heavy objects flying across the room if I focus and practice enough? I don't want to simply stop with being able to bend a spoon. I want to have great power!

Start by learning about this.

The technique mentioned in the link sounds like a simple magic trick. It seems to be performed physically by the body, and not the mind. The instructions at http://www.crystalinks.com/psychokinesis.html say you should use your mind. It mentions using the "part of your consciousness that is above". I don't really believe that it is anything "above", but simply a part of your mind that is not used by instinct. It sounds like it is just something you need to learn to do.

It sounds fairly simple by reading the instructions. Has anybody ever tried it before?

Does anyone have any scientific information about this power?

Yes. It's been tested extensively and there's never been any evidence that anyone can actually do anything like that, let alone any mechanism by which it might occur.

When I was about eight or so I thought I had psychic powers since I seemed to be able to influence things and know what people were thinking when others didn't. I soon outgrew that, though, when I realized how much could be explained by coincidence, and how whatever happened I would, after the fact, think that I brought about.

Also, I had to laugh, because most of the "exercises" on that website are actually just making compasses. Of course they move. It's called magnetism. And because it's hanging by a string (any twist will slowly cause it to rotate) or floating in water (little resistance, any spin will continue and new ones will be caused by pretty much any vibration or air current) it will have other motions as well.

I want to know what others think about me. I want control of the world around me, and have some influence over the thoughts of others. For once, I want things in my life to start going my way.

^--- not the answer that problem

Also, I had to laugh, because most of the "exercises" on that website are actually just making compasses. Of course they move. It's called magnetism. And because it's hanging by a string (any twist will slowly cause it to rotate) or floating in water (little resistance, any spin will continue and new ones will be caused by pretty much any vibration or air current) it will have other motions as well.

Oh, that does make sense. That's too bad, I could have a lot of fun if telekinesis was real...

I have the desire for great psychic power. I want to know what others think about me. I want control of the world around me, and have some influence over the thoughts of others. For once, I want things in my life to start going my way.

Does anyone have any scientific information about this power? What part of the brain allows it to happen? What type of foods can provide more energy for this power? What is the limit to the amount of power I can have? Could I potentially send heavy objects flying across the room if I focus and practice enough? I don't want to simply stop with being able to bend a spoon. I want to have great power!

this sounds like the cry of the Ineffectual.

if you`re prepared to do all this, why not try Excersizing Personal Responsibility instead, it will give Far greater control over your life than this constant wishfull thinking and delusional mindset.

it`s worth a shot :)

I'm suddenly interested in the idea of psychic powers. [...] I want to have great power!

Herme3, you are really desperate, aren't you? I now begin to understand a little of Mokele's harsh answer in your previous thread :-( . Maybe Mokele was right over there.

Think twice, step back, take a deep breathe and think about what you really want (or even better: what you really miss). Do you really think telekinesis can make you happy? If it exists (which I severely doubt), then it will not make you happy, it will only draw you into an obscure world of occultism.

You know what you really need? You need other people around you, who correct you. Being alone for too long a time may cause people to grow weird and wicked. You need correction from other people around you (collegemates? church? family? you mentioned them all in previous posts) and you need to put both legs on solid ground again. Think about that as well...

Your real problem is utter emptyness. Your life is a void and you are in need of filling the void. You have enough around you to fill that void in a positive way, but please take the effort to do so. Talk about it with your family, or whatever, but don't jump forth and back, picking up every insane idea trying to fill the void.

telekinesis would probably be fatal because of newtons laws.

the force is applied from the brain. the brain is squidgy. every action has an equal and opposite reaction. even lifting a pencil would likely result in brain damage and/or a seziure. although your brain damaged self probably would be pretty happy in its vacant way.

the force is applied from the brain. the brain is squidgy. every action has an equal and opposite reaction. even lifting a pencil would likely result in brain damage and/or a seziure. although your brain damaged self probably would be pretty happy in its vacant way.

Oh but what if half the force was used to balance out the negative side effect of brain crushing? Me so smart.

If I could have any power it would be this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKuHAL_P7iY&search=Gohan%20Cell%20Bojack%20Super%20Buu

I want control of the world around me ... For once, I want things in my life to start going my way.

An excellent first step in this direction would be to take a good, hard look at what is a constructive step towards your goals - and what is a fanciful waste of your time and efforts.

Your brain causes your muscles to move and doesn't usually result in brain damage, but that's because it's not a situation where the third law directly applies; the brain doesn't exert the force, it just sends the enabling signal. Telekenesis would just require something else to move in response, not necessarily the brain. It would have to enable, somehow, the energy to flow to allow the motion.

If you want to influence the world around you and resist the influences of others' mental powers try:

http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Practice-Robert-B-Cialdini/dp/0321011473

A friend loaned me that and I've found it a very interesting read on psychology and influence...which outlines (scientifically) the real mental powers people use to influence us - understanding how we think.

Talking, we are, about science ficton.

And this is precisely why I never go into the nitty-gritty details when I write SF. Making it plausible is impossible: the more detailed the explanation, the more flaws and places for it to be wrong.

I'm suddenly interested in the idea of psychic powers. [...] I want to have great power!

Wow Herme. :-(

I don't know what to say.

Power is not all it's cracked up to be Herme. If you are responsible it's a weight on your shoulders. If you are irresponsible it will destroy you.

Husmusen

Telekinesis will exist in the future. Here's how it works:

Information will be transmitted via a brain/computer interface to a control system, which will interpret the commands sent by your brain and determine what actions should be taken.

The computer responding to the commands will then actuate any number of devices. For example, you could will the lights on and off, but rather than flipping a switch, a computer would respond to your request and actuate a relay in order to accomplish this task. You're still flipping a switch with your mind, but in reality, technology is translating neural impulses into an electrical signal which uses an electromagnetic field to flip the switch.

This probably isn't what you had in mind herme3, but if you really want telekinesis, technology is the only answer.

the only realistic telekinetic powers i'm aware of involve controlling your brainwaves, which takes tens of years of meditation practice to completely quiet your mind. i've been told that it's possible (theoretically) to control your brainwaves to the point where you can create a very strong specific frequency with little extra "noise", at which point it would be possible to vibrate nearby objects, theoretically even destroying them by vibrating them at their resonance frequencies.

i've never heard of realistically moving objects with the mind, however. even that psychokinesis page you linked to only deals with rotating the objects, by making them attracted to or repelled by your hands somehow.

i know of someone who can influence other people's brainwaves to make them experience the effects of drugs (like alcohol or marijuana).

advanced acting classes include chi exercises which involve increasing and extending one's chi into the audience, to get them to feel what the actor is feeling.

i have peresonally experienced psychic powers, where i can predict things. i have successfully predicted which elevator (out of 4) would pick me up 10 times in a row (i only started trying 10 elevators ago). the first 8 weere done at a scifi convention. 4 of them involved 4 elevators coming toward my floor at the same time. 2 of them involved an elevator stopping at my floor, but going in the wrong direction. i didn't just guess, i position myself in the middle of them, facing toward one of the halls, close my eyes, and i literally feel which one it will be.

i've done those prediction which card will turn over things before too. i always successfully predict the first 3-4 (and i know beforehand that i'm right). then the next few i have a gut feeling, but instead go with what my brain predicts, and my gut feeling turns out right. then the rest, i get so confused that i have no idea, so i just randomly guess. the result turns out to be no better than statistically plausible.

it's quite possible to be psychic in relation to many things, but it's very easy to confuse what you're feeling with something else.

realistically bending spoons involves vibrating the hand holding or touching the spoon really quickly and strongly, in a way that concentrates the vibrations at a specific point (such as the thinnest point).

similarly, it's possible to punch a stack of blocks, and break only a specific block of your choice (ie: the 5th one down in a stack of 11).

you can physically send heavy objects flying across the room by creating a very long wave in your body, and transferring it into the heavy object.

i know of a substance which will help along these lines, but it's not a food (you could call it a drug, or a suppliment, but it's neither).

if you want a food that will help you with this, eat healthy: avoid fast foods, avoid the microwave, avoid most chemicals. buy a water filter (for your shower too), and avoid flouride at all costs (use natural toothpastes, or just use H2O2 and baking soda as toothpase and mouthwash).

the substance i was referring to is Etherium White Gold (it's not just gold).

i have not tried this myself yet, nor do i know anyone who has tried it (i intend to within the month, though).

the only realistic telekinetic powers i'm aware of involve controlling your brainwaves, which takes tens of years of meditation practice to completely quiet your mind. i've been told that it's possible (theoretically) to control your brainwaves to the point where you can create a very strong specific frequency with little extra "noise", at which point it would be possible to vibrate nearby objects, theoretically even destroying them by vibrating them at their resonance frequencies.

If someone could do that under controlled conditions, James Randi would pay them $1,000,000.

i know of someone who can influence other people's brainwaves to make them experience the effects of drugs (like alcohol or marijuana).

advanced acting classes include chi exercises which involve increasing and extending one's chi into the audience, to get them to feel what the actor is feeling.

i have peresonally experienced psychic powers, where i can predict things. i have successfully predicted which elevator (out of 4) would pick me up 10 times in a row (i only started trying 10 elevators ago). the first 8 weere done at a scifi convention. 4 of them involved 4 elevators coming toward my floor at the same time. 2 of them involved an elevator stopping at my floor, but going in the wrong direction. i didn't just guess, i position myself in the middle of them, facing toward one of the halls, close my eyes, and i literally feel which one it will be.

Ugh, can we keep this discussion scientific or move it to pseudoscience? This is really getting ridiculous.

Chi doesn't exist.

You aren't psychic.

Brain waves cannot influence objects in your outside environment.

Period.