Why Does Water Make Me Sick?

Whenever I drink water I get a stomach ache, sometimes it makes me nauseous or I feel like throwing up. My family swears up and down that it's probably all the milk I drink and that I'm probably some form of lactose-intolerant, but milk never makes me sick or hurts my stomach it does nothing but make me feel better when I drink it. I felt dehydrated last night and nor pop or milk or gatorade was quenching this feeling, I felt like I was missing something you know and it was making me not feel very good. So I figured I needed water and I got a bottle from the fridge and started taking some drinks. I don't like the taste of water so it wasn't a grand experience. Within minutes, my stomach started feeling....icky. A combination of sort of an acid pain and feeling like my stomach was a half full water balloon (especially when I moved around). Felt like I was gonna throw up for a good hour until it went away, this happens almost everytime I drink water. I can't be allergic to water or anything like that right, what sense would that make?

The back of my throat always feels weird when I drink water to, not sure if that's normal or not, it's sort of a scratchy sensation.

I had a similar problem; i couldn't drink pure water. It made me sick and i would almost throw up. Then i learned about "drinking techniques". Start with a little water daily. Take very small sips and a deep breath after every sip. It worked for me. (Not that i like water now, but i can drink it if there's nothing else.)

Sweetening it with honey solves the problem anyway, for me. Sugar doesn't work.

I felt dehydrated last night and nor pop or milk or gatorade was quenching this feeling, I felt like I was missing something you know and it was making me not feel very good. So I figured I needed water and I got a bottle from the fridge and started taking some drinks.
Could it be because you drank a bunch of pop, milk, gatorade and water trying to quench a thirst? I've had those types of thirst where no amount of water seemed to help and I ended up a bit queasy. I can only imagine what it would have felt like if I'd mixed so many different (and possibly volatile) liquids.

Could it be because you drank a bunch of pop, milk, gatorade and water trying to quench a thirst? I've had those types of thirst where no amount of water seemed to help and I ended up a bit queasy. I can only imagine what it would have felt like if I'd mixed so many different (and possibly volatile) liquids.

The drinks were more throughout the day, not close together.

Have your doctor check you for an overactive pancreas. Otherwise, its rabies and your screwed. LOL.

Phew, now I feel much better.

Any sort of water, or just tap water? There may be a contaminant in the water you drink that you are sensitive to.

All water, bottled water, sink water, those 5 galloon things you put on the water cooler, all of it. It's everytime so that leads me to believe it doesnt have something to do with anything I've eaten before or after.

I forgot cramping to, it will give stomach/abdominal cramps occassionally.

I have IBS.....could that for some reason at all be a reason for this?

I`ve had similar when the water has been very cold, it`s not uncommon.

even more so if you drink a whole lot in one go, stomach will of course cramp up.

try Cool (not cold) water and sip it slowly.

• 3 weeks later...
Have your doctor check you for an overactive pancreas. Otherwise, its rabies and your screwed. LOL.

I think you're misunderstanding rabies. People with rabies get hydrophobia because of the pain associated with swallowing, to my knowledge water doesn't make them sick.....

I've had the problem for years. I gave up on water at least a decade ago. Warm, cold, bottled, chugged or sipped...it just gave me a bellyache. I always just figured it was chlorine or chloramine. No matter. For unrelated medical reasons, in 1999 I switched over to Pepsi, first as a way to flush out a PEG, then to dissolve crap in my mouth. The PEG is long gone but the other problem is still present to some extent. And I still drink Pepsi. So, no, you're not alone.

Water is terrible stuff. Have you ever considered what fish do in it? What you need is a little disinfectant added, to kill the nasties. I have always found that whiskey works well!

More seriously, I think your problem is probably psychosomatic. This is not meant as an insult. I have a psychosomatic response to eating certain fish. I know where it came from - a nasty bout of food poisoning many years ago. My body learned that certain fish tastes are not good, and it 'saves' me from poisoning by making me nauseous each time I eat strong flavoured fish. I know this is purely in the mind, but that does not reduce the problem. I suspect you have a similar problem with water. It cannot be physical, since you take in water in any drink, regardless of the flavour.

Why not enjoy the problem. Make sure you have lots of whatever drink you like, and enjoy it?

Whenever I drink water I get a stomach ache' date=' sometimes it makes me nauseous or I feel like throwing up. My family swears up and down that it's probably all the milk I drink and that I'm probably some form of lactose-intolerant, but milk never makes me sick or hurts my stomach it does nothing but make me feel better when I drink it. I felt dehydrated last night and nor pop or milk or gatorade was quenching this feeling, I felt like I was missing something you know and it was making me not feel very good. So I figured I needed water and I got a bottle from the fridge and started taking some drinks. I don't like the taste of water so it wasn't a grand experience. Within minutes, my stomach started feeling....icky. A combination of sort of an acid pain and feeling like my stomach was a half full water balloon (especially when I moved around). Felt like I was gonna throw up for a good hour until it went away, this happens almost everytime I drink water. I can't be allergic to water or anything like that right, what sense would that make?

The back of my throat always feels weird when I drink water to, not sure if that's normal or not, it's sort of a scratchy sensation.[/quote']

It's probably because you're either an alien or a robot. It's just natural in that case. If you want to avoid this problem you need to switch over to more natural fluids, like ethanol or motor oil.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It does not matter if water hurts you. Water is a very essential element of your body. You have to find some way to get H2O into your body or else you're gonna die

Do you get diarrhea? Is it a very bad pain?

Once I had a virus that cuz me to get diarrhea whenever I drank water, but I was told to keep drinking no matter what cuz I still need water even more if I am sick.

How long has this been going on? If this has been going on for a long time, you need a doctor

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to figure out what's going on, too. I'll try the small sips and I'll ask my doctor about the overactive pancreas. How did you get to that answer, Mustang292? My doctor thinks I have IBS also--and I'm trying to figure that out--because it's such a "catch-all" diagnosis. Anyway, coments and thoughts welcome . . .

He guessed IBS because you have visceral hypersensitivity to water. If the hypersensitivity also occurs with warm water, then you probably don't have IBS. If you get virtually the same response to any temperature water from any source, then you might have a general hypersensitivity to water, or a bacterial infection. My instinct tells me it could be something with your ability to utilize electrolytes or sodium. All of the other drinks you mentioned would do at least something to replace the sodium or electrolytes that would be required to digest the liquid. Water would only dillute those levels, and thus could cause localized cramping. Just a thought.

• 4 months later...

i have diarrhea like 20 hours after drinking gatorade, and i drink american powder gatorade which has no high fructose corn syrup (which can cause diarrhea in some people, american bottled Gatorade has a little HFCS, Snapple gave me a lot of diarrhea, it has HFCS, american soda too) but only sucrose and dextrose, i also get diarrhea like 20 hours after drinking Peruvian/Colombian bottled Gatorade which is HFCS-free, only has sucrose and dextrose. The thing is that until like 10 months ago i was able to drink Gatorade with no problems, like 2 quarts daily, even the american bottled one which has a little HFCS.

I can drink boiled tap water with no problems, but if i drink bottled water i also get diarrhea and gastritis, i think it's cause it has chlorine or chemicals, i can feel a chemical taste, which boiled tap water doesn't have, boiled tap water tastes like Evian (no taste). I live in Lima, Peru, tap water seems crystal clear in a glass, unlike tap water in the usa which seems to have chemicals and doesn't look clear in a glass and has some chemical taste, just like bottled water.

please buy a small bottle of Evian and taste it, no taste. Then compare to tap water, u'll notice taste and see (it doesn't look crystal clear) the chemicals of tap water. Then try some bottled water see if it has a chemical taste. I'm not sure if boiling the tap water could get rid of the taste, but you should try it. You boil the water then obviously wait for it too cool down, and drink it when it's cool. Tap water (and bottled water) in the U.S. has a chemical taste. Bottled water here in Peru also has a chemical taste just like U.S. tap water. Bottled drinks (soda, gatorade, juices) are all probably made with chemically processed water, cause it's cheaper than boiling water.

Penn and Teller had a hilarious spoof on bottled waters. They filmed their scenes in a legitimate restaurant that was in on the joke. They told customers that they were having a water tasting, in which a wide range of bottled waters would be served, from many countries.

In fact, they filled all the carafes from the hose out the back of the restaurant. The customers critically appraised the variety and all came up with clear favourites, despite it all being tap water.

i have diarrhea like 20 hours after drinking gatorade, and i drink american powder gatorade which has no high fructose corn syrup (which can cause diarrhea in some people, american bottled Gatorade has a little HFCS, Snapple gave me a lot of diarrhea, it has HFCS, american soda too) but only sucrose and dextrose, i also get diarrhea like 20 hours after drinking Peruvian/Colombian bottled Gatorade which is HFCS-free, only has sucrose and dextrose. The thing is that until like 10 months ago i was able to drink Gatorade with no problems, like 2 quarts daily, even the american bottled one which has a little HFCS.

I can drink boiled tap water with no problems, but if i drink bottled water i also get diarrhea and gastritis, i think it's cause it has chlorine or chemicals, i can feel a chemical taste, which boiled tap water doesn't have, boiled tap water tastes like Evian (no taste). I live in Lima, Peru, tap water seems crystal clear in a glass, unlike tap water in the usa which seems to have chemicals and doesn't look clear in a glass and has some chemical taste, just like bottled water.

Maybe you have a problem with the bacteria in your intestine (or lack thereof). If that is the case, drinking non-pasteurized yogurt may solve the problem. Did you take some strong antibiotics or other medicine 10 months ago?

• 2 weeks later...

What virus, this is a science forum, can you be specific?

did you go to a doctor, had blood or stool tests, then you would know if you had a virus and which virus? or you are just assuming you had a virus?

Once I had a virus that cuz me to get diarrhea whenever I drank water, but I was told to keep drinking no matter what cuz I still need water even more if I am sick.

How long has this been going on? If this has been going on for a long time, you need a doctor