Why are Americans so unhealthy?

Sisyphus

The fast food companies wouldn't do that! If people actually knew what was in that garbage, then they would eat it - think about what that would do to sales!

It would benefit everyone though. It probably costs the government a bit of money every time you eat fast food. That will eventually help the fast food companies, well sort of. Let's not make this a political debate.

My point is that if fast food companies and such made the nutrition facts more noticable, then people will know not to eat too much of anything, hopefully.
And since your buddy and plenty of others are spending $12 each for lunch, how quickly do you think they're going to do that?

Plus McNasty's and others get to hide behind that wonderful illusory phrase, "natural flavor". So much of why fast food has an appealing taste is due to company's like IFF (International Flavors & Frangrances) that put a "natural flavor" into the cooking oil used in fried foods. All the big fast food chains have proprietary formulas of chemicals used to give the proper flavor and smell. And chemicals occur in nature, so they're "natural", right?

It would benefit everyone though. It probably costs the government a bit of money every time you eat fast food. That will eventually help the fast food companies, well sort of. Let's not make this a political debate.

no offense, but that doesn't make very much sense. The government would never do that... and sense when is their responsibility to control people's diets that severely? I, personally, don't want my tax money to make sure people don't make bad choices about what they eat. Frankly, I don't care about other people that much.

I gained 10 pounds this term' date=' from all the studying i was doing.. Its hard to study on a empty stomach.. But then i was really slacking, i picked up on my junk habits which is unusal.. That will change next time

Anyways...[/quote']

I'm the exact opposite. When finals come, I actually lose weight. It's too waste a time to go to the store and get something to eat. I study with an empty stomach and take a test with an empty stomach...well not too empty.

About the Americans being unhealthy. It's basically because of the fast food. You have more fast food chains compared to other countries. And fast food is much cheaper and faster to make than most food. As pointed out by the others. And with all the oil they put in making that fastfood...you're most likely closer to being unhealthy...or maybe even worse than being unhealthy.

The Americans should learn to eat vegetables. Like broccoli for example...children hate it when it actually tastes good. It's because of the media too. The advertisements of vegetables being bitter and bad tasting get into their heads and they'll never eat vegetables all their lives just because the ad said so.

What I was getting at, is that people go to the doctor and get signed off work for quite literally being pi**ed off with a co-worker, and claim they are suffering from 'stress' as though it is an illness. This still costs money, and stress is a viable reason for people not to work. There was an article on BBC breakfast where they said the amount of people going to their GP complaining of being 'stressed' is becoming a bit of a joke. I'll try and get a link.
No need. I understand what you're saying and I know it to be true. This is a problem of misdiagnosis as in these overly PC times, GPs can't get away with saying "You have no real problems. Deal with it".

I just wanted to avoid the common lay interpretation that 'stress' isn't really a problem. Real stress is a killer. That there are so many who without real cause go whining to their GP tends to dilute that fact and often leads people to dismiss stress as the product of a weak mind.

This in itself is a problem because it begins to generate a certain stigma which deters genuine cases from presenting as they don't want to appear 'weak'. It is more often those who feel they should be strong enough to cope that suffer stress conditions anyway as they tend to take so much on themselves.

All those who present to a GP at the drop of a hat because they're feeling a little pi**ed off one day are a) less likely to actually be suffering stress, and b) actually doing harm by changing the general perception of the condition from a serious problem to something made up to cater for whiney neurotics who can't cope with normal life.

PS Sorry about the 'off topic'.

So, why? Is it diet? Do we stress ourselves out more? Is our healthcare system just corrupt and ineffective? Is it all three?

Our diet sucks.

I don't think our lifestyles are particularly stressful compared to countries like, say, Japan.

Our healthcare system sucks.

It is a combination of problems. When medicine isn't socialized you run into some pretty bad issues regarding inflation of the cost of services.

Americans are not alone. It is a problem affecting the whole Western world, and rapidly affecting the rest, as they catch up to us in terms of prosperity.

Americans simply get hit first.

I believe it is primarily lack of exercise; secondarily diet (McDonalds, get thee behind me); and finally stress (way behind the other two in importance.).

I am 57 years old, and weigh 95 kg. According to the tables, I should weigh 85 kg. I am, thus, well overweight. However, my cholesterol is way down; blood pressure that of a healthy 20 year old, and resting pulse to gratify a teenager. Why? I eat too much, and often the wrong kind of food. However, since age 19, I have always had 4 hours per week plus of exercise, sufficient to get me puffing fiercely.

While I am not American, I have spent sufficient time in the USA to observe a few things. I believe Americans spend too much time in activities that do not burn calories. And that is the main reason for their ill health.

While I am not American, I have spent sufficient time in the USA to observe a few things. I believe Americans spend too much time in activities that do not burn calories. And that is the main reason for their ill health.
While I still believe it's more a combination of factors, I do agree with SkepticLance about the sedentary lifestyle. I think it's probably the largest factor in the equation.

There's computers and stereos and home theatres and 500 channels of cable TV and video games and cell phones with video games to name a few. All of this is usually more interesting than walking around a neighborhood full of identical houses.

There's computers and stereos and home theatres and 500 channels of cable TV and video games and cell phones with video games to name a few. All of this is usually more interesting than walking around a neighborhood full of identical houses.

exactly... although with me, as I don't watch TV, it's more sitting on my butt in front of my computer going on SFN and IDF.

While I am not American' date=' I have spent sufficient time in the USA to observe a few things. I believe Americans spend too much time in activities that do not burn calories. And that is the main reason for their ill health.[/quote']

You are mostly correct, but not all Americans are like that. I have been in the habit of exercising every day. I also follow the food pyramid (for the most part). However, I'm only a teenager. I'm just trying to say that some of us are still involved in things that do burn calories. I fully agree with the rest of your post.

no offense, but that doesn't make very much sense. The government would never do that... and sense when is their responsibility to control people's diets that severely? I, personally, don't want my tax money to make sure people don't make bad choices about what they eat. Frankly, I don't care about other people that much.

I was basically trying to say, "darn't, you found my loophole." Also, if I'm not mistaken, the government has to contribute in paying for health care. That's what I was trying to get at, I was just running low on time to explain myself.

I thought I was a healthy eater, but I just looked around my house. At least half of the food belongs in the fats, oils, and sweets group. That's another problem for why Americans are so unhealthy.

No need. I understand what you're saying and I know it to be true. This is a problem of misdiagnosis as in these overly PC times' date=' GPs can't get away with saying "You have no real problems. Deal with it".

I just wanted to avoid the common lay interpretation that 'stress' isn't really a problem. Real stress is a killer. That there are so many who without real cause go whining to their GP tends to dilute that fact and often leads people to dismiss stress as the product of a weak mind.

This in itself is a problem because it begins to generate a certain stigma which deters genuine cases from presenting as they don't want to appear 'weak'. It is more often those who feel they should be strong enough to cope that suffer stress conditions anyway as they tend to take so much on themselves.

All those who present to a GP at the drop of a hat because they're feeling a little pi**ed off one day are a) less likely to actually be suffering stress, and b) actually doing harm by changing the general perception of the condition from a serious problem to something made up to cater for whiney neurotics who can't cope with normal life.

PS Sorry about the 'off topic'.[/quote']

I couldn't agree more. The trouble is, the only way to tackle claims of 'severe' stress is to do a full diagnostic of the patient...(to see if the stress has been prolonged and done any real damage) which is timely and so costly. Considering the wealth of conditions brought on by stress...ulcers, stroke, heart problems, the list goes on...this is a full diagnostic and so seperating the real cases from the 'whineys' is impossible.

What needs to be done, is communicating the symptons of acute stress, and drumming it into peoples heads that everyone suffers from mild stress from time to time.

Now to tie in with the OP. There clearly is a problem with diet, lack of exercise, and a consumer society wanting everything on a plate. There is also the problem of what is perceived as ill health. There are other illnesses that are just based on normal human behaviour, ME ADHD et.c the symptons are so broad, that practically anyone could be suffering from these conditions. It's surely better to tackle the symptons that lead to physical problems, than just just trying to tackle symptons that are clearly attributed to normal human behaviour.

I believe American pay more because it is a capitalistic health system. In such a heath care system economics means, at the supply side, give as much treatment as the system will bare, this will maximize profits. While the individual maximizes the value of their health care bill (tax), at the demand side, but maximizing the amount of services they can recieve. Instead of treating the flu with rest and chicken soup, which would mean high healthcare charges without compensation, if I go to my doctor, so he can tell me the same thing, but for a premium, I got something for my money.