Annoying Myths

JustStuit

If you see venous blood taken (e.g. for testing), it is a very dark purple/blue colour. If you squirt some on to a swab open to the air, it will quickly turn cherry red.
So the myth is not a myth? Veins are bluish because the blood in them is more blue than red? I'd heard this when I was young and then heard it debunked when I was older. What's the final verdict, Doc?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favourites is that petrol explodes, I laugh every time I hear that one...

Also, the one where dissolving [sOMETHING] in petrol makes true napalm...

There are more, I have a list somewhere but I can't find it :S

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Still not an explosion its just buring really fast. An explosion requires detonation last time I checked... Petrol does not detonate so it does not explode :)

Anyone who has heared of a show called Brainiac will know of this one...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Still not an explosion its just buring really fast. An explosion requires detonation last time I checked... Petrol does not detonate so it does not explode :)

Anyone who has heared of a show called Brainiac will know of this one...

Cheers' date='

Ryan Jones[/quote']

I know, I just thought the video was fitting.

I can never get a solid number for how much water the average person should be drinking...

However much quenches your thirst. Amazing thing evolution, we have the amazing ability to sense when we need to drink :eek:

However much quenches your thirst. Amazing thing evolution, we have the amazing ability to sense when we need to drink :eek:

It can't be completely accurate. I only drink about 16 oz. a day and I'm no longer thirsty, but I'm supposed to get 8 servings of 8 oz. And I really don't eat much.

So the myth is not a myth? Veins are bluish because the blood in them is more blue than red? I'd heard this when I was young and then heard it debunked when I was older. What's the final verdict, Doc?

I think the key here is veinous blood. The myth says that all blood is blue inside the body. Veinous blood, being depleted of oxygen, may be blue, but arterial blood isn't.

I think the key here is veinous blood. The myth says that all blood is blue inside the body. Veinous blood, being depleted of oxygen, may be blue, but arterial blood isn't.

Unless you're a member of the Royal family...

people disregarding sound health advice as myth just because it's easier to eat junk food. :P
Oooh, don't get me started. I saw a special on a woman who lost a couple hundred pounds after having her stomach "pouched" (most of it cut away, not stapled, creating a small pouch).

She was so tickled that a small order of McDonald's fries were all it took to make her feel full. :-(

people disregarding sound health advice as myth just because it's easier to eat junk food. :P

too-shey.

But i was more talking about the fact that too many people seem to think 'well, if x is good, then xlots must be uber-mega-super-good.

eg: 'calories are bad', 'under-eating and then exersizing is good', 'a body fat index > 0 = bad', 'rapid weight loss is a sign of good health' etc.

The belief that scientific ideas start as hypothosis then progress to theory and then law.

For example, a former US president stated he was not troubled by evolution because it was just a theory.

And to go along with this - the belief that scientific laws are absolute and unchanging.

too-shey.

But i was more talking about the fact that too many people seem to think 'well' date=' if x is good, then x[sup']lots[/sup] must be uber-mega-super-good.

eg: 'calories are bad', 'under-eating and then exersizing is good', 'a body fat index > 0 = bad', 'rapid weight loss is a sign of good health' etc.

of course... but I hate when people think that eating cholesterol-rich foods is ok, just because the science isn't conclusive about whether or not it causes heart conditions... stuff like like.

of course... but I hate when people think that eating cholesterol-rich foods is ok, just because the science isn't conclusive about whether or not it causes heart conditions... stuff like like.

I'm assuming they don't know about the "good cholesterol" either, am I right?:)