Russia to build Martian Nuclear Station

blike

_39229489_mars203.jpg
From BBC.co.uk:

They say that all the necessary technical drawings have now been completed, and - after a few minor niggles have been ironed out - all will be ready for the construction work to begin.

But experts are already asking questions about the feasibility of the project.

The first extra-terrestrial nuclear power station will serve the permanent research camp which, Russian scientists believe, could be set up on Mars within the next 30 years.

Click here to read the full story.

It makes sense that nuclear power will be primary for a while on Mars. Since Mars has weather and dust problems, that may complicate our ordinary reliance on solar power. I imagine we'll have a lot of bugs to work out to get dependable solar generators going large scale.

Just aman

I think it is far-fetched, at the moment. We still have yet to land a man on mars, much less a construction team that would be required to set up the reactor. We'd have to set up camp where the workers could live, and it would probably take months if not years to build.

Ambition is good though, maybe something like this will kick another space-race into action, which is exactly what NASA needs right now.

Seeing as its Russia, they'll probably build 10 nuclear power plants knowing 8 will never work and the remaining two might be able to lean on each other enough so as to actually give a reasonable output.

Seriously though, I do agree very much with Skye that the Reds would do well to try investing more money into their already past it nuclear energy industry. Everyone talks about Chernobyl - and rightly so! Expect more crazy Ruskie nuclear energy accidents with each passing year they let their decrepit reactors sink into disrepair.

I agree blike, right now it's entirely far-fetched. Everything about it seems feasible to me except for the date: 2030. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has heard that having a man on mars by 2015 is as good as a guaruntee. I'd like to see a man on mars in roughly ten years, but with NASA's current budget and rank on the governments priority list, I doubt it's likely.

I know I'm being skeptical, but don't get me wrong, I'd love to see all this happen. I just think realism should be taken into account.

But then again, you never know, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

maybe not so far fetched if you think along the lines of a pre-built nuclear reactor in a Submarine or ship for example? A full scale one would be a triffle ambitios sure :) but something modular and small would be possible even with todays technology, getting it there might be fun though :)

you poor sick banana---- they will suck your brains first

jk

:toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet: :toilet:

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

• 3 months later...