Skip to content

is there a term for searching the explanation to everything?

Featured Replies

hi

for my notepad i'm trying to find if there is an existing term/Wikipedia page about the fact of searching/finding the explanation about how/why stuff exists

Is cosmology the ultimate thing?

Imagining the universe might be contained in something else, is there a term about going to the root?

Imo it's difficult to imagine going to the ultimate origin of things, until there is nothing at all

I can't imagine something coming from nothing

I can't imagine something always existed

So my belief now is that the human brain or just mine lol is currently not able to conceive/understand what is everything

I guess the answer goes beyond the existing words, above "all" and "none"

But yes if you know a term to indicate the search of the answer to ~ "finding the origin if existence", i would like to read it

regards

Curiosity ?

17 hours ago, raphaelh42 said:

So my belief now is that the human brain or just mine lol is currently not able to conceive/understand what is everything

Welcome to the human race. Nobody understands everything, all any of us can do is make an attempt. Whether the universe came from "nothing" or if it has "always" been here, has been a debate amongst philosophers and cosmologists for centuries. Having read philosophical treatises by at least a couple dozen authors, I don't know how you could prove it one way or the other. However, being an engineer by training and therefore a strong believer in thermodynamics, I tend toward the "always been there" belief.

  • Author

@MigL i think "curiosity" is too vast for what I meant i was searching for

I tried to search again for words for a way to explain

I thought about "explanation", and "existence"

seems to me "why the universe exists?" is cosmology

from what i understand, all we know is inside the universe, so figuring out why the universe exists would be the current maximum distance we can clearly set the objective to

I guess there is no word/term to search beyond it (yet?)

@npts2020 does the universe got created or always existed, hmm

Unlike you i tend toward the "got created" version

i can't imagine this always been there (even a tiny version before an expansion)

also, i can't imagine that in the past there was nothing

that's frustrating not to know...

i can't imagine the universe not being contained in something else...

what i like to think about is: what is the ultimate container?

and even it, I can't imagine it came from nothing...

💀

Edited by raphaelh42

1 hour ago, raphaelh42 said:

seems to me "why the universe exists?" is cosmology

No, that's Philosophy.

Cosmology, being an observation based science, does not deal with 'why', it deals with 'how'.

There are two words that seem to me to be connected to the question you are asking:

Ontology: The philosophical study of being.

Epistemology: The philosophical study of knowledge.

3 hours ago, raphaelh42 said:

i think "curiosity" is too vast for what I meant i was searching for

Well, you did say 'everything'. If that's not vast, I don't know what is.

  • Author
12 hours ago, MigL said:

No, that's Philosophy.

Cosmology, being an observation based science, does not deal with 'why', it deals with 'how'.

Hmm observation based science cares only about "how" but not "why"? 🤔

Seems to me philosophy is about hypothesis

If proving a "why", in what category that goes?

10 hours ago, joigus said:

Well, you did say 'everything'. If that's not vast, I don't know what is.

I was searching a word/term for a step in a chronological list of objectives

the last step in the list is about figuring out why/how did the universe appeared

if figuring out and discovering something else, like a container, figuring out why it appeared too, would be appended to the list because i know no word that take into account "cosmoloy and all its parents"

so right now i guess the word i need is cosmology, or omniscience maybe although i don't want to know everything...

@KJW Thanks for the info, i'm gonna read about these philosophy although about this subject my objective is about getting "proofs"

13 hours ago, KJW said:

There are two words that seem to me to be connected to the question you are asking:

Ontology: The philosophical study of being.

Epistemology: The philosophical study of knowledge.

Yep, I was going to suggest the part of epistemology which concerns itself with the limits of knowledge. The postulate that everything is amenable to some explanatory scheme lies within that branch. There's a scientific aspect, e.g. is a human brain limitation imposing limits on our knowledge, or is it the basic architecture of reality which forces blind spots, or a combination of those?

On 9/24/2026 at 11:38 PM, raphaelh42 said:

for my notepad i'm trying to find if there is an existing term/Wikipedia page about the fact of searching/finding the explanation about how/why stuff exists

I can't imagine something coming from nothing

I can't imagine something always existed

I guess the answer goes beyond the existing words, above "all" and "none"

I don't think the existing words, "all" and "none", have anything to do with the problem. I suspect that the word "something" is the problem. A thing, something, is material like my desk or my chair or my computer -- these are all "things". So when we say that we can't imagine something coming from nothing, or always existing, we are talking about matter. But science tells us that matter is not what it appears to be. It is actually atoms, and photons, electrons, and protons, and nucleuses, which break down into things like quarks, etc., and even waves and particles. So would these things appear to be something, or would they appear to be nothing?

What causes waves and particles? Are they what the universe is made up of, or is there something more? We probably need a science person to answer these questions, but I wonder where force and motion come from. Do force and motion have a source, or is force and motion the source, the beginning?

On 9/24/2026 at 11:38 PM, raphaelh42 said:

But yes if you know a term to indicate the search of the answer to ~ "finding the origin if existence", i would like to read it

Well, religion thinks the answer to your query is "God" -- the origin of existence. The funny thing I realized recently is that religion actually studies emotion and calls it "God". Is it possible that what religion studies, "God" and emotion, is actually motion? Is motion the source of everything?

We always think of matter as being stable and then matter causing motion to exist. We swing a bat and hit the ball -- causing more motion. What if we have it backward? What if motion always exists everywhere and matter is just an example of motion that is balanced and is therefore temporarily stopped? We know that balance influences everything. What if motion is the underlying reality and matter is just illusion?

Gee

1 hour ago, Gees said:

don't think the existing words, "all" and "none", have anything to do with the problem. I suspect that the word "something" is the problem. A thing, something, is material like my desk or my chair or my computer -- these are all "things". So when we say that we can't imagine something coming from nothing, or always existing, we are talking about matter. But science tells us that matter is not what it appears to be. It is actually atoms, and photons, electrons, and protons, and nucleuses, which break down into things like quarks, etc., and even waves and particles. So would these things appear to be something, or would they appear to be nothing?

The details here are wrong, but that probably doesn’t matter much.

Photons are not matter and are not components of matter. Particles don’t break down into individual quarks.

1 hour ago, Gees said:

What causes waves and particles? Are they what the universe is made up of, or is there something more? We probably need a science person to answer these questions, but I wonder where force and motion come from. Do force and motion have a source, or is force and motion the source, the beginning?

Not a science person. The field of investigating the fundamental nature of reality is metaphysics. Science tells you how nature behaves. Some things can be inferred from that knowledge, but some things can’t.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

The details here are wrong, but that probably doesn’t matter much.

Photons are not matter and are not components of matter. Particles don’t break down into individual quarks.

Not a science person. The field of investigating the fundamental nature of reality is metaphysics. Science tells you how nature behaves. Some things can be inferred from that knowledge, but some things can’t.

You are right. Not a science person and I am not surprised that the details are wrong. Glad you corrected me, as I do not want to contribute to nonsense.

One thing that I would like to ask -- is motion and/or force caused by matter, or material, always?

Gee

8 hours ago, Gees said:

One thing that I would like to ask -- is motion and/or force caused by matter, or material, always?

No. Things that are not matter carry momentum and can exert a force

Create an account or sign in to comment

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.