Upgrade to vBulletin 3.5

Dave

We've now successfully upgraded to vBulletin 3.5.

There are many changes, but most of them are behind-the-scenes. I will, however, list the changes you will see from now on:

• The most obvious is the new AJAX systems. These allow you to post/edit your posts without even reloading the page, and adds to the style of the forum. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it's a great feature.
  • LaTeX has been updated to give much quicker rendering times. I'll post more on this in another thread.
  • The style has been updated so that it actually works properly now, loads faster and is generally more efficient.

For the moment, those are the only ones I can think of. I know that there's going to be a lot of teething issues, so if you see something (big or small), please post it here and someone will deal with it when we have time.

Thanks all, and enjoy the new features!

Swanson I just noticed that. We'll get it back up ASAP. If you guys notice anything else just let us know. We're working on getting the main navigation menu sidebar back up, as well as rearranging the "Latest Forum Topics" setup back to the way it used to be.

Another small fix: PNGs in Internet Explorer don't render with any alpha channels, so LaTeX images were coming up short. I've decided, for the time being, to implement a small JavaScript hack to fix the situation. I strongly recommend you use a decent browser, like Mozilla Firefox, but I will eventually get around to allowing users whether they want GIF or PNG images.

I really miss the options we used to have for checking new posts. Checking the new posts every 3 hours really rocked.

Fixed - hopefully. Let me know if there's any problems, since I've literally just finished coding it :)

Another small fix: PNGs in Internet Explorer don't render with any alpha channels, so LaTeX images were coming up short. I've decided, for the time being, to implement a small JavaScript hack to fix the situation.

Dave, you may or not be aware of this, but there is a PHP script out there that does the exact same thing without going client-side, and again, I don't know whether you'd want to go this route or not, but a (good) example / sample script is at http://koivi.com/ie-png-transparency/ . There's a link to the entire file, as well as an explanation for "installation," so-to-speak (it's just a plain old PHP file that uses preg-replace). I like it, it's quick, simple, effective, and concise.

Plus, for those VERY few who don't have javascript (or those that disable it), it is a much better solution - and it may (depending on client and host machines) be faster.

The update looks great, though - the inline editing is sharp.

Is the flag denoting a warned post new, or have I just not noticed it before? Good idea - lts the evildoers know what kind of things will get you in trouble, on the scant chance they pay attention to that sort of thing.

am i just being slow, or do we not have the option to use the SFN old-style theme anymore? I still get ugly mis-renders using the new style.

Not too much of a prob, but a tad annoying.

No, there's no option to use this anymore. Frankly I'm not having any problems even on small monitors, but I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I did try to rejig the style to eradicate all of the rendering discrepancies, but obviously this hasn't worked for you. I'll look into it, since we did have some style problems earlier.

actually, the mis-rendering of the reply box is fixed now; its mainly just sfn-logo.jpg and the googleads frame that mis-render (google ads overlaps the SFN logo), which is due to my 800*600 screen size.

so its not too much of a problem.

happens in both IE 6.0.2900 and FF 1.0.7 on windows XP SP2.

P.S., the little drop-down by the page-select thingy is cool.