Do all emotions have a name (potentially?

Are they distinct  or do they bleed into one another?

The thought occurred to me as I was finishing my meal and my plate was almost ,but not quite empty.

I have the habit of nearly always finishing what is on the plate  and yet ,in this case I had had enough but still did not want to leave the plate unfinished. 

So ,I plucked up the remaining half of a baked potato and continued remorselessly to put it into my mouth  and chew it even  though I took no physical pleasure  from the action.

I could feel with every swallow that I was increasing my over satiety.

What,I wonder now was that feeling?

I can't remember having had it before.

I was kind of doing something in spite of my inner wishes but nobody was forcing it but myself.

Is that a confluence of indistinct emotions ?Does it have or can it be given  a name?

Is it a kind of emotional syndrome?

For my next treatise  ,I am reserving the title of "Remembrance of Appetites Past"

<_<

2 hours ago, geordief said:

Not bleed so much as shade and commingle. Only the very urgent, overpowering emotions are ever pure and simple - fear, rage, grief. Hate is made of several identifiable emotions, plus some personal over/under tones. 

That feeling of glut when eating more than you really want is accompanied by other things. Childhood guilt over wasting food [undertone] - yes, even the unenjoyment itself produces some guilt: You should appreciate what you have. Rue: Why did I leave this stupid potato till the end? A tinge of shame: Why did I take more than I needed? and embarrassment: "Is anyone looking?" A touch of anxiety: am I becoming a compulsive eater? Will I put on weight? A little bit of anger at the adult who made you feel guilty and at yourself for being unable to resist their influence. 

I'm not aware that there is an English word for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese or Icelanders or somebody had one. For just about everything people can feel, somebody, somewhere has invented an expression. 

Almost certainly. I know I've had it.

For my next treatise  ,I am reserving the title of "Remembrance of Appetites Past"

I'll respect that, but it's a good one! Now I'll go analyze this feeling I have of wishing I could steal it, even though I have nothing to stick the title on, and resisting the temptation to do something that wouldn't benefit me.   

Edited by Peterkin

Could just be a vestigial thing from parents encouraging a clean plate (or no pudding!).  Maybe as we get old, ancient memories and responses from early life surface in our minds.  And create such peculiar emotions that are hard to identify.  

(x-post with Peterkin)

3 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Not bleed so much as shade and commingle. Only the very urgent, overpowering emotions are ever pure and simple - fear, rage, grief. Hate is made of several identifiable emotions, plus some personal over/under tones. 

That feeling of glut when eating more than you really want is accompanied by other things. Childhood guilt over wasting food [undertone] - yes, even the unenjoyment itself produces some guilt: You should appreciate what you have. Rue: Why did I leave this stupid potato till the end? A tinge of shame: Why did I take more than I needed? and embarrassment: "Is anyone looking?" A touch of anxiety: am I becoming a compulsive eater? Will I put on weight? A little bit of anger at the adult who made you feel guilty and at yourself for being unable to resist their influence. 

I'm not aware that there is an English word for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese or Icelanders or somebody had one. For just about everything people can feel, somebody, somewhere has invented an expression. 

Almost certainly. I know I've had it.

I'll respect that, but it's a good one! Now I'll go analyze this feeling I have of wishing I could steal it, even though I have nothing to stick the title on, and resisting the temptation to do something that wouldn't benefit me.   

Don't know why I thought emotions came in packages.Therein lay my confusion.

Maybe that is related to my self assessment as a literalist -or maybe I just don't have the patience  to think things through.(unlike my dinner plates)

(I know what you mean about the Icelanders- I wonder what is the culture most centred around gastronomy  and introspection-I don't think the French  would have that  kind of vocabulary-maybe the Belgians? )

33 minutes ago, geordief said:

I know what you mean about the Icelanders- I wonder what is the culture most centred around gastronomy  and introspection-I don't think the French  would have that  kind of vocabulary-maybe the Belgians? )

You never know! All kinds of people come up with all kinds of wonderfully unique descriptive words - either because the context is or at some time was significant in their culture, or because one of their poets or jesters coined one that everybody considered worth repeating. There is a Hungarian two-word phrase for spilling food down the front of one's clothes. There is no way anyone could ever have thought that was important to note, but somebody said it and it's funny, so people keep using it. I've heard there is a word in Japanese for the urge old people get to pinch a baby's cheek. It's not that significant, but somebody noticed it and named it. People talk about feelings in many ways, but we share the feelings pretty much all around the world. 

15 hours ago, TheVat said:

Could just be a vestigial thing from parents encouraging a clean plate (or no pudding!).  Maybe as we get old, ancient memories and responses from early life surface in our minds.  And create such peculiar emotions that are hard to identify.  

I've experienced a few of these. My father preached that we shouldn't stick our noses in other people's business, which sounds reasonable and wise, but can also lead to ignoring the circumstances of others. It seems like an emotion all its own when you go against something your parents took pains to teach you, almost a guilty righteousness with a touch of anger.

18 hours ago, geordief said:

Torn between Don't waste food and Don't be a pig. And you could be in for an upset stomach just because you feel guilty about not cleaning your plate. Disgusted angry guilt?

There's probably German words for these emotions. They love mashing a bunch of concepts together in a single word.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

There's probably German words for these emotions. They love mashing a bunch of concepts together in a single word.

I was going to mention this.  I experience schadenfreude more often than I'd care to say.  And sometimes a touch of weltschmertz.  

Recently, I was feeling a sort of lethargy and sleepiness which I get intermittently in the Spring.  The German word for this is Frühjahrsmüdigkeit.  

Generally, I can see how Germans have that penchant for fields like philosophy and psychology, because they will develop very precise and specific terms for so many things.  To help out those cunning linguists in Germany, I have coined a term for @geordief s experience with potato eating:

Notwendigkeitkartoffelnzufertigmachenschmertz.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Disgusted angry guilt?

Actually no.It was  curious abdominal discomfort  with a feeling of loss of autonomy due to semi obsessively following routine behaviour

I also felt like stopping but that would have meant a bit of extra washing up.

Kind of a fascistic side to me à table

As a side note ,if there are so many possible emotional  combinations, sophisticated AI robots will soon be making us all  look like emotional retards and sexual infidelity with the mechanical sex will be rampant as who wants to live with a dolt?

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

I was going to mention this.  I experience schadenfreude more often than I'd care to say.  And sometimes a touch of weltschmertz.  

Recently, I was feeling a sort of lethargy and sleepiness which I get intermittently in the Spring.  The German word for this is Frühjahrsmüdigkeit.  

Generally, I can see how Germans have that penchant for fields like philosophy and psychology, because they will develop very precise and specific terms for so many things.  To help out those cunning linguists in Germany, I have coined a term for @geordief s experience with potato eating:

Notwendigkeitkartoffelnzufertigmachenschmertz.  

Not far off but it could have been any stodgy food.Potatoes would just be an examplar.

maybe we could refer to it as "the goose's gullet". or "Le chagrin   des oies gavés"

I bet it was those gluttonous Belgians after all.

Edited by geordief

On 4/25/2024 at 4:39 PM, geordief said:

The thought occurred to me as I was finishing my meal and my plate was almost ,but not quite empty.

I have the habit of nearly always finishing what is on the plate  and yet ,in this case I had had enough but still did not want to leave the plate unfinished. 

So ,I plucked up the remaining half of a baked potato and continued remorselessly to put it into my mouth  and chew it even  though I took no physical pleasure  from the action.

I can't remember having had it before.

I was kind of doing something in spite of my inner wishes but nobody was forcing it but myself.

Is that a confluence of indistinct emotions ?Does it have or can it be given  a name?

<_<

It must be related to that weird feeling I get of remorse when I am hungry and remember a random meal from the past and wishing I had eaten it all then, as if that would somehow lead to me feeling less hungry now.

Emotional phenomenology is fine. 

I think that I am feeling and I feel that I am thinking.

44 minutes ago, MSC said:

Emotional phenomenology is fine. 

I think that I am feeling and I feel that I am thinking.

Interesting.Sadly (or maybe fortunately) I no longer have the intellectual capacity to investigate  those  questions.I am more or less just fascinated ,for now  to learn  that that line of enquiry  exists .(and prepared to eavesdrop  on others who can  discuss the subject profitably)

1 minute ago, geordief said:

Interesting.Sadly (or maybe fortunately) I no longer have the intellectual capacity to investigate  those  questions.I am more or less just fascinated ,for now  to learn  that that line of enquiry  exists .(and prepared to eavesdrop  on others who can  discuss the subject profitably)

Only just noticed that there was a mistake. I meant to say emotional phenomenology is fun. Phenomenology is an interesting one because you can study a lot through that lens. Phenomenology of cooking or even hyper specific stuff like The phenomenology of the ghost in literature. One of the few essays I have had to translate myself into English, was originally in Spanish that one.