The 'Rapist's Bible'

toucana

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

We 'all' have a bible that we believe, for many different reason's (including rapists), some are just better at interrogating what was meant when it was written and rapists just want to believe. 

Want to bet? 

Just now, Moontanman said:

Then you lose. 

OK, so you don't believe in any book or teaching? 

Let's toss this out to the crowd:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone is a proverb that means we should not criticize others when we are not perfect ourselves12. It is a paraphrase of a quote from Jesus in the Bible (John 8:7), where he said this to the people who wanted to stone a woman caught in adultery32. The expression can also be used as let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her or to throw the first stone

I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it

OK, so you don't believe in any book or teaching? 

Bible, in this context, doesn't mean just any book and you know this, so stop trying to be deceptive. 

Let's toss this out to the crowd:

Yes let do this.

My point exactly! 

12 hours ago, MSC said:

This comment is in no way meant to trivialize the real act of rape; I'd never describe a garden variety bad experience as metaphorical rape, but when I think about all the things TFG has done, how many he has done it to and the malignant effect his public presence has on both the USA and political discourse everywhere in the past and to this day, can you blame me for describing it as a rape

Seems to describe the situation, though I would add that some of our fellow Americans, due to prior prejudices they had mostly suppressed, were consciously and enthusiastically willing to spread their legs for him.  TFG somehow gave them a safe space and In Group where they could resurrect their xenophobic (and other phobics) biases and most regressive feelings.  Sorry to hear about your papa.  It is painful and frustrating to watch, especially when you feel they should know better.  

26 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Seems to describe the situation, though I would add that some of our fellow Americans, due to prior prejudices they had mostly suppressed, were consciously and enthusiastically willing to spread their legs for him.  TFG somehow gave them a safe space and In Group where they could resurrect their xenophobic (and other phobics) biases and most regressive feelings.  Sorry to hear about your papa.  It is painful and frustrating to watch, especially when you feel they should know better.  

In fairness to him, he had a minor stroke around 2013 or 2014. Nothing that affects his ability to function but we did notice some personality changes. 

I think for me the frustration comes from knowing that his views now are completely different to the values he instilled in me and my siblings growing up. 

For example, now he frequently makes quite xenophobic comments, but when I was 3 or 4 years old, my older cousins taught me a very racist song and me not knowing any better, I went and sang the song to my dad and he slapped me pretty hard across the face. To this day I feel like that was the best thing he could have done as it cemented very early for me that racism is not acceptable. So his views today are a bit of a slap across the face too.

It suggests to me that character and principle are not something genetic nor chiseled in stone, but a plastic malleable part of how we plug into the society around us. We are shaped by what we ingest, both our bodies and our minds 

8 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone is a proverb that means we should not criticize others when we are not perfect ourselves12. It is a paraphrase of a quote from Jesus in the Bible (John 8:7), where he said this to the people who wanted to stone a woman caught in adultery32. The expression can also be used as let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her or to throw the first stone

The passage about “Jesus and the woman taken in adultery” (John 7:53-8:11) is an interesting and  problematic quotation, because it doesn’t appear in a number of early Greek texts; while some other variant texts place it in a completely different gospel - after Luke 21:38 instead.

https://www.gotquestions.org/John-7-53-8-11.html

It’s known as the pericope adulterae and is usually regarded as a pseudepigraphical interpolation into the text of John by a later scribe.

It was apparently regarded with some misgivings by early christian fathers who thought it could imply that Jesus was sympathetic to adultery.

19 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Bible, in this context, doesn't mean just any book and you know this, so stop trying to be deceptive. 

Yes, it literally does mean that, in this 'rapist bible' context and the in the context of my post.

19 hours ago, Moontanman said:
21 hours ago, dimreepr said:

My point exactly! 

What exactly is your point? Please elaborate.

12 hours ago, toucana said:

The passage about “Jesus and the woman taken in adultery” (John 7:53-8:11) is an interesting and  problematic quotation, because it doesn’t appear in a number of early Greek texts; while some other variant texts place it in a completely different gospel - after Luke 21:38 instead.

https://www.gotquestions.org/John-7-53-8-11.html

It’s known as the pericope adulterae and is usually regarded as a pseudepigraphical interpolation into the text of John by a later scribe.

It was apparently regarded with some misgivings by early christian fathers who thought it could imply that Jesus was sympathetic to adultery.

The way I view that passage is that he's (someone) simply pointing out that we're all human beings and as such we're all capable of human behaviours, good and bad; "there but for the grace of god go I"

People point to a number of religious leaders as the source of this expression, which means that I, too, could be in such a situation if it weren’t for the grace of God.

It is most widely attributed to John Bradford, who said it upon seeing criminals who were being lead to their execution in 1553. Bradford himself, who many credit with the phrase, was executed two years later for heresy. He was a Protestant living in Roman Catholic English.

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Yes, it literally does mean that, in this 'rapist bible' context and the in the context of my post.

What exactly is your point? Please elaborate.

The way I view that passage is that he's (someone) simply pointing out that we're all human beings and as such we're all capable of human behaviours, good and bad; "there but for the grace of god go I"

My point is that you used "The Bible" in your quote but insinuated that you were just talking about books in general instead of the specific book of bs called "The Bible" I do not believe "The Bible" so you lose the bet. It was a fools bet but instead of admitting you can't know my thoughts you used your usual tactic of doubling down to bring kaos into the conversation.   

2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

My point is that you used "The Bible" in your quote but insinuated that you were just talking about books in general instead of the specific book of bs called "The Bible" I do not believe "The Bible" so you lose the bet. It was a fools bet but instead of admitting you can't know my thoughts you used your usual tactic of doubling down to bring kaos into the conversation.   

I talked about belief in general and the varying degrees of belief, specifically our need for some sort of bible to bolster our ideology; blind faith is a different conversation.

In poker, the nuts represent a winning hand, it doesn't matter what you believe... 😉

Just now, dimreepr said:

I talked about belief in general and the varying degrees of belief, specifically our need for some sort of bible to bolster our ideology; blind faith is a different conversation.

In poker, the nuts represent a winning hand, it doesn't matter what you believe... 😉

I don't need a book to bolster my ideology much less a book of nonsense. If your ideology is based on faith then you have no vision. Be that as it may you cannot know my mind, so you cannot know that I have faith in anything much less a book. You lost a suckers bet. 

2 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I don't need a book to bolster my ideology much less a book of nonsense. If your ideology is based on faith then you have no vision. Be that as it may you cannot know my mind, so you cannot know that I have faith in anything much less a book. You lost a suckers bet. 

Way to miss the point, I don't need a book/teacher is essentially a blnd faith; or did you spontaneously learn everything?

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Way to miss the point, I don't need a book/teacher is essentially a blnd faith; or did you spontaneously learn everything?

Again, you are trying to obfuscate the issue, you are being deceptive, the book you are discussing is not just any book, you are trying to say you are talking about books in general while you continue to quote a specific book of mythology. I do not require mythology, from a book or otherwise to learn. 

21 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Again, you are trying to obfuscate the issue, you are being deceptive, the book you are discussing is not just any book, you are trying to say you are talking about books in general while you continue to quote a specific book of mythology. I do not require mythology, from a book or otherwise to learn. 

Again you're being to literal, at a certain level of complexity even science becomes a sort of mythology for most of us, as in a famous example from Richard Feynman, he explains why a mirror reflects us the way it does.

The poker reference I made earlier, is analogous also; every player gets their card's equally, it's the card's themselves that are not equal, the player's choice is whether or not to play the hand dealt, or wait for the next and learn about the other player's, those with little experience play every hand; the aggressive player will go all in on the first hand and win, bc the experienced player knows to fold unfavorable card's. That player think's he's learned something valuable, every hand can win; what he doesn't understand is, why he never wins a tournament.

21 hours ago, Moontanman said:

I do not require mythology, from a book or otherwise to learn.

We 'all' start our learning journey with a little mythology, bc we need it as base on which to build our understanding. 

No one wins every hand, even the tournament champ...

Edited by dimreepr