Why I cant change my IP addrress?

someone told me that ---

How to change you IP address
Windows 10:  1) Press the Win+R keys together to open the Run box dialog.
 Type cmd and enter.

2) Enter ipconfig /release (make sure to include the space) and hit Enter.

3) Type ipconfig /renew (include the space) and select Enter. Close the prompt to exit.

Why it does not wok?

8 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Leave the battery out of the device overnight. AFAIK ip addresses are only temporary and if your device is absent from the internet for long enough, it will be assigned a new ip.

Depends on whether you've chosen to use a dynamic or static IP address. I know on my mac you can do both. If you have a dynamic IP address, you can't change it manually, but there is an option to renew the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) lease. In Windows you go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /renew

15 hours ago, PeterBushMan said:

someone told me that ---

Type cmd and enter.

3) Type ipconfig /renew (include the space) and select Enter. Close the prompt to exit.

Why it does not wok?

I may depend on what your computer is connected to. Even if you have a dynamic IP address the device that responds to ipconfig /renew command does not necessarily hand out a different IP address. Note @swansont's spot-on response; renew the lease means that the same IP can be reused.

6 hours ago, swansont said:

renew the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) lease.

An example of two situations where same IP is reused (there are others and a thorough answer would require insight into details):
-Static lease (DHCP reservation); the IP is reserved for a specific device
-the server may assign the same IP address because it's the next (or only one) available.

Edited by Ghideon

On 2/17/2024 at 1:22 PM, PeterBushMan said:

someone told me that ---

Type cmd and enter.

Why it does not wok?

What are you talking about? Changing your IP address that external world sees, or changing your IP address within your local network? What you've written above seems to be about your local network. Not long ago, I had a problem in this area so I do have some experience, although it did take a change of modem to completely fix the problem. Your IP address that the external world sees is allocated to you by your ISP, and if you want to present a different IP address to the websites you visit, you could use a VPN.