Alabama to use Nitrogen as execution method

StringJunky

2 hours ago, CharonY said:

Well, it is a bit like a bandaid on the moral issue of killing someone who you have full control over. Basically to make it appear humane (I mean, the guillotine was touted as a humane method, too).

OIC, we are looking for a way to make killing a helpless person palatable to the general population? To me it's a lot like trying to make a shit sandwich tasty enough to sell at a fast food place. Killing another human being is always bad... sometimes it's just better than the alternative. I come down solidly on the side of if you're going to do it do it fast and get it over with. Dragging it out, no matter the motivation, will always result in a worse outcome for the person to be killed. 

What should really be in question is do we kill people, once we get past that obstacle all we can do is make it as quick and practical as possible.

Can you imagine the man who was suffocated via nitrogen gas telling us how grateful he is we didn't just inject him with a hot shot of fentanyl but allowed him to suffocate in agony so we could feel good about it?   

2 hours ago, MigL said:

Helium ?!?!?

Imagine how bad the executioners would feel whrn the condemned person starts talking with a little girl's voice.

Now that is funny! 

15 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Revenge? I thought we were talking about punishment?

We are, punishment is the acceptable face of revenge.

When we consider the acceptable face of free will, we ALL should be punished for something we did; it's only the unlucky one's of US that are subject to an unbalanced version of a suitable retribution, we hope... 😇🙏🤞

Well, I knew somw Quakers and they expressed their stance on DP as a question:  Why do we kill people to teach that it's wrong to kill people?  

Succinct.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:11 PM, StringJunky said:

Any thoughts on the potential outcomes this?

I'm surprised that you are writing on such a controversial topic as "murdering people."

My favorite execution fact (if "favorite" is really the word in such a grim context): when they give a lethal injection they have to swab your skin at the injection site with alcohol.  So you dont get an infection.  

Here in prison people eat shit. Literally. Homeless people living on the street eat better stuff pulled out of the dumpster than people in prison here. After a few days one wants to commit suicide just because it is unbearable.. There is no need to kill people.. They want to die themselves.. Just because of crappy food, lack of entertainment, lack of physical and intellectual activity.. At least those with higher degrees..

The man drank beer on the street. A homeless man. He got a fine ($25). One, two, three, over a year, in summer, etc. When it reached 5 ($125), the next time the police found him on the street, took him to pretrial detention ("replacement penalty for unpaid fines"). For 5 days. $25 per day. They (the prison guards, called "reptiles"), let him take his food with him to the cell. He was "the boss" in the cell.. The best eating person.. Funny: they gave him $12.5 on his release from prison after 5 days (he had nothing during the reception).. He told me "after 5 days, two beers will be like one 500 mL vodka.." (i.e. "it will shoot to his head").

ps. They call them "reptiles" for a reason.. They torture people..

15 hours ago, Sensei said:

Here in prison people eat shit. Literally. Homeless people living on the street eat better stuff pulled out of the dumpster than people in prison here. After a few days one wants to commit suicide just because it is unbearable.. There is no need to kill people.. They want to die themselves.. Just because of crappy food, lack of entertainment, lack of physical and intellectual activity.. At least those with higher degrees..

If you've never been hungry enough to eat from a bin, you'll be ignorant as to how delicious food can be... Whatever culinary skills you acquire...

20 hours ago, Sensei said:

I'm surprised that you are writing on such a controversial topic as "murdering people."

In the right context "murdering people" is a kindness; it's far more cruel, in the right context, to keep people alive.

That's why we have a judiciary, the only problem with that is, the government makes the rules, instead of people that actually understand. 

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

If you've never been hungry enough to eat from a bin, you'll be ignorant as to how delicious food can be...

Do you realize that this is just a lie? Your starved brain is lying to you..

Whatever culinary skills you acquire...

It is irrelevant. Real homeless people don't have kitchens and the energy to cook dinners..

In the right context "murdering people" is a kindness; it's far more cruel, in the right context, to keep people alive.

Isn't that what my above post was about?

That's why we have a judiciary, the only problem with that is, the government makes the rules, instead of people that actually understand. 

Are not 'judiciary" and "government" also people.. ?

19 hours ago, Sensei said:

Do you realize that this is just a lie? Your starved brain is lying to you..

Is it? I thought you didn't like philosophy; what does a gorged brain tell you?

It is irrelevant. Real homeless people don't have kitchens and the energy to cook dinners..

Real homeless people still have access to a fire, kitchen utensils (a knife) and space is no problem at all; besides homeless people aren't magically devoid of energy.

Isn't that what my above post was about?

Not as far as I can tell.

Are not 'judiciary" and "government" also people.. ?

On 1/27/2024 at 9:12 PM, Sensei said:

ps. They call them "reptiles" for a reason.. They torture people..

And this is why it should only be people that understand, the judiciary is as close as we can get to that particular nirvana...

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Real homeless people still have access to a fire, kitchen utensils (a knife) and space is no problem at all; besides homeless people aren't magically devoid of energy.

You live in a parallel reality to what I'm used to, and in a different environment.. Here we had an early attack of winter with a week or two with -17 C in November. There were three homeless people living on a neighborhood dump. One night one of them died, two days later the other. They had lived there since at least 2019. Not a single day did they light a fire. This would have caused immediate problems with the police. This is not a village where this would go undetected, but one of the largest cities. Here in winter, when it's -5 C or less, drones fly over houses to check what people are burning in their stoves. If they detect that high quality coal is not being burned, but wood or plastic, garbage in general, they can get a huge fine. I checked how much that is: twice the minimum monthly net income and 30 days in jail. Such fine for homeless would be converted to 100 days + 30 days = 130 days in prison. In twenty years I haven't seen a single homeless person burning a fire here, regardless of temperature. Electricity? That would also be theft too, and even more problems with the police.

These three homeless men got the only energy they had from the batteries in their radios. No cell phones, no powerbanks, no computers, no fire. For five years they had nothing of the sort.

When they found the electronics in the garbage, they tried to give it to me or sell. I said the electronics were worth a lot of money and I couldn't take it. They were saying that it is useless for them without electricity. I was replying that they could sell it on the Internet, McDonald's has free WiFi. Obviously they never used smartphones nor Internet.. Generally people with problems, also mental problems, drinking denatured alcohol which damaged their brain, inexperienced and not knowing any tech..

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Is it? I thought you didn't like philosophy;

It is not philosophy. It is biology.

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

what does a gorged brain tell you?

...and that is exactly what I am talking about.. Overeating the finest dish causes vomits. Your brain is lying you at reverse direction that dish is no good anymore..

1 minute ago, Sensei said:

It is not philosophy. It is biology.

Your guess is not relevant... 🙄 

13 minutes ago, Sensei said:

You live in a parallel reality to what I'm used to, and in a different environment..

The only difference is, you imagine you're right and say so, and I just ask if you know what you're talking about... 🙄