Has anyone tried this at home?

geordief

14 hours ago, geordief said:

Don't see what "pushback" you mean.

Things that sounds like “that’s simply not done because we’ve never done it” i.e. a very conservative, non-empirical response. Consistent with the description John Cleese gives in “A Fish Called Wanda”

Wanda, do you have any idea what it's like being English? Being so correct all the time, being so stifled by this dread of, of doing the wrong thing

Not “don’t do that, it tastes awful” which would be empirical though subjective. Or “do it if it’s to your liking” No, it’s “that’s not the proper way to do it, personal enjoyment be damned”

22 minutes ago, swansont said:

Things that sounds like “that’s simply not done because we’ve never done it” i.e. a very conservative, non-empirical response. Consistent with the description John Cleese gives in “A Fish Called Wanda”

Wanda, do you have any idea what it's like being English? Being so correct all the time, being so stifled by this dread of, of doing the wrong thing

Not “don’t do that, it tastes awful” which would be empirical though subjective. Or “do it if it’s to your liking” No, it’s “that’s not the proper way to do it, personal enjoyment be damned”

Think you are reading too much in to it.

Myself otoh bought one of Cleese's books *(and I  might buy just one or two books a decade) and was unable to "read into it"  more than the first 10 or so pages ,so earnest  it seemed to me.

Well my concentration/absorption  levels have dipped the last good few years (I felt the same about Hemingway  who I also thought would be an interesting read)

* Life and How to Survive It

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/life-and-how-to-survive-it_john-cleese_robin-skynner/637920/#edition=2384136&idiq=15047948

Edited by geordief

16 hours ago, swansont said:

I fund it interesting that the pushback I’ve seen on this is that it goes against tradition rather than evaluating whether or not it makes for better tea.

I just reread the thread up to the point of your post and I didn't notice any posts that pushed back based on "tradition". Maybe I just missed it.

19 minutes ago, geordief said:

Myself otoh bought one of Cleese's books *(and I  might buy just one or two books a decade) and was unable to "read into it"  more than the first 10 or so pages ,so earnest  it seemed to me.

Otto: Apes don't read philosophy.

Wanda:  Yes they do, Otto. They just don't understand it.

JK (really, I will take any excuse to drop in an AFCW quote)

Back to topic, sort of:  what are people's impressions of the Snapple teas, which were unleashed onto the world in the late eighties?

I'll start:  a repellent, nay unspeakably vile, concoction which proves that you can bottle diabetic cat piss and convince the gullible that it is tea.

9 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Back to topic, sort of:  what are people's impressions of the Snapple teas, which were unleashed onto the world in the late eighties?

Ironically enough the company that started Snapple was Unadulterated Food Products, yet they managed to make a tea drink that contained aspartame and no antioxidants. 

4 hours ago, zapatos said:

I just reread the thread up to the point of your post and I didn't notice any posts that pushed back based on "tradition". Maybe I just missed it.

I didn’t see it here, I saw it in pieces discussing this.