Natural of dog food, which is better?

grayson

I don't do this to my dog. But I wander if cooked meat is better for your dog than dog food. We all know processed meats are "bad" And if you think in a technical sense, dog food is processed. So, I was thinking, why not read them meat instead of dog food? Obviously cook it first to get rid of dangerous bacteria. and give them a blend of veggies. And give them some variety so they don't eat bacon every day. So the question is, Dog food, or meat?

I think vets prefer dogs are given dry food (in biscuit form).

But dogs themselves generally like whatever you are having.

I refuse to accommodate this  behaviour but other family members feed them at the table like performing seals.

I don't think it does too much harm if it is not overdone and ,anyway once the excitement of the human meal is over they will head off to finish it off with their own food from the bag and the bowl of water.

They seem to have the eating arrangements down to a fine art.

Read the ingredients. Canned dogfood is some meat, maybe some 'meat byproducts' - which may be anything from pigs' ears to chicken beaks to fish meal to floor-sweepings in a slaughterhouse - and there might be vegetables (carrots, turnips, peanuts), artificial flavour, maybe some vitamins, and lots of water. The proportions depend on the brand - more meat in the really expensive ones.

Dry dogfood is mostly cornmeal, rice, beet pulp, meat byproducts, maybe soy.

There is nothing wrong with including vegetables in a dog's diet; they need some fibre - especially if they're not very active - and most dogs also like celery, carrots and broccoli. Wolves also eat berries, carrots and apples. You just have to make sure they get enough protein, fat, calcium and vitamins. Ground bones would be fine, and chewing on a large bone or sinew is good for their teeth, thin bones, like chicken legs or pork ribs, especially if cooked, can be deadly: they break into sharp points that can puncture a dog's intestines. Raw bones are less likely to splinter, but can still cause trouble. 

Domestic dogs are fine with cooked meat and broth. There is some suggestion that feeding them raw meat might promote aggression or at least a craving for the hunt - which could be really unfortunate in a city setting and downright lethal to a dog in the country - but I don't know how whether it's true. Some butchers do cater to the raw dogfood trade.

I used to make my own dogfood -  meat, cereal, vegetable and supplements - which cost about the same as canned food at the time. Now I cook chicken for the cats, to serve alongside dry food - and it's way cheaper than whatever is in the tiny cans.  

If you feed your dogs human food, that's fine, as long as you avoid giving them onion &garlic, chocolate or anything with caffeine, anything alcoholic or fermented and xylitol. It's a good idea to avoid real sugar, too, and dairy products. They love ice cream and cheese but large amounts of either can wreak havoc on their digestive system.

(I once gave the remainder of the cottage cheese and sour cream in my fridge to the dogs before we left a house and packed them into the truck. Two of them were okay; the third had galloping diarrhea all the way across California and Nevada. Really no fun for any of us!)  

Edited by Peterkin

8 hours ago, geordief said:

Plus leeks and anything from the onion family?

Is wine in sauces also bad?

Yes, leeks are included: 

Onions contain a toxic principle known as N-propyl disulfide. This compound causes a breakdown of red blood cells, leading to anemia in dogs. The toxin causes oxidative damage to your dog's red blood cells by attaching to the oxygen molecules in those cells.  - ACC

The wine in a sauce probably doesn't amount to much, and if it's cooked, the alcohol will have boiled off anyway. I've heard of dogs getting drunk (some people think that's a joke), so it's not directly toxic, but it depresses their respiration and body temperature, so an older dog, or one with other health issues, could actually die.   

7 hours ago, Steve81 said:

dry food is preferred for dental health.

Hard bisquits and tendon chews are better; some kibbles dissolve and add to plaque formation - according a vet we used to see.

You can also bake your own dog bisquits quite cheaply.

Choosing between natural and non-natural dog food depends on your budget, your dog's specific dietary needs, ingredient quality, and personal preferences. Consult your veterinarian for tailored advice and consider what aligns best with your dog's health and your values as a pet owner.