Why Is Paganism Rising?

Benjamin Karl

On 1/11/2024 at 12:11 PM, TheVat said:

It no longer carries the meaning of rustic, just means fellow countryman. 

the word 'paese' can have two meanings.
It can mean town, or it can mean country.
I imagine this stems from the city-states that were scattered across the Italian peninsula, long before it became the country of Italy.

5 hours ago, jajrussel said:

I remember reading that the root of the word pagan was essentially equal to peasant/not of the city. Apparently, now it is said to be the term that Christian Romans etc. used to allude to anyone not of the Abrahamic religions generally as a slur. My observation is that pagans seem to prefer the peasant/not of the city referral. Was it the video thumbnail that prompted the question.

Naked girls dancing around the fire made me think of Woodstock for some reason.

13 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Naked girls dancing around the fire made me think of Woodstock for some reason.

See how easy it is too shoot down, what is essentially a very good idea; in answer to the OP, I think it's a shame that paganism isn't rising fast enough, our society steamrollers every idea that could potentially slow growth; I wonder why the Australian mice plague spings to mind?

I was 14 when I snuck into a theater to see Woodstock.   I had to sit through the entire credits before I was able to walk.   

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

think it's a shame that paganism isn't rising fast enough, our society steamrollers every idea that could potentially slow growth;

Yes.  Earth-centered religions have tended to less elevation of humans over the rest of creation.  In Paganism humans are a part of nature.  In Abrahamic religions, humans lord it over nature, and are the only beings with immortal souls and therefore have a divinity which separates them from nature.  This view has played out in ways that aren't so good for nature.

21 hours ago, TheVat said:

Yes.  Earth-centered religions have tended to less elevation of humans over the rest of creation.  In Paganism humans are a part of nature.  In Abrahamic religions, humans lord it over nature, and are the only beings with immortal souls and therefore have a divinity which separates them from nature.  This view has played out in ways that aren't so good for nature.

Hmmm, is the word religion really the problem here?

11 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Not that I know of.  Which is why I used it. Why do you ask?

Just checking, religion seems to be the universal excuse for not listening to reason...

Edited by dimreepr