Book about unsolvable/too difficult problems - what is the title?

Alfred001

Years ago, I remember hearing about a book about problems that are either unsolvable or so difficult that it would take a supercomputer millions of years to work through. I think one problem mentioned in the book is the traveling salesman. Does anyone happen to know the title, as I can't recall it.

1 hour ago, Alfred001 said:

Years ago, I remember hearing about a book about problems that are either unsolvable or so difficult that it would take a supercomputer millions of years to work through. I think one problem mentioned in the book is the traveling salesman. Does anyone happen to know the title, as I can't recall it.

https://people.idsia.ch/~luca/acs-bio97.pdf

On 4/9/2023 at 10:17 PM, TheVat said:

I remember this one, geared for a popular audience:

https://www.amazon.com/Five-Biggest-Unsolved-Problems-Science/dp/0471268089

But it doesn't have math problems like the traveling salesman.

For really tough questions, there are the Millennium Prize problems.  Could be a book on those?

Not that one, either. The theme of this book was more the limits of knowledge/reason. It was about questions we can't or might not be able to answer due to limitations of reason or time or what we can know. Something along those lines.

One of these ?

In Pursuit of the Traveling Salesman – Mathematics at the Limits of Computation Hardcover – 6 Jan. 2012

by William J. Cook (Author)

The Great Mathematical Problems - bookcover.jpg
Softcover edition
Author Ian Stewart
Language English
Subject Mathematics
Genre Non-fiction
Publisher Profile Books
Publication date
March 1, 2013[1]
Media type Print, e-book
Pages 320 pp.
ISBN 1846681995

The Great Mathematical Problems[note 1] is a 2013 book by Ian Stewart. It discusses fourteen[1] mathematical problems and is written for laypersons.[2] The book has received positive reviews.

Content

Stewart describes important open or recently closed problems in mathematics:

On 4/9/2023 at 5:53 AM, Alfred001 said:

Bible. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2023 at 11:54 PM, studiot said:

One of these ?

I don't think it's the first one and it's almost certainly not the second one.

On 4/10/2023 at 11:57 PM, Ken Fabian said:

Possibly this one -

The black swan by Nassim Taleb | Black swan book, Business books ...

Of course as an Australian the use of "black swan" for the highly improbable seems to miss the mark - (an Australian swan) -

Australian Black Swan - A Fowl's Home

Nope, wasn't the Black Swan.

I don't know if this helps at all, but I learned of the book because the author appeared on the great Bloggingheads.tv website (this was many years ago) to talk about it. I'm pretty sure he was interviewed by the science writer George Johnson (who used to be a regular) on a podcast, but I can't recall the author's name.