Doubt silica gel

gamer87

Blue silica gel in a sachet when it is saturated in pink color if you keep the sachets in storage will they leak moisture and absorbed water?

I restored a sachet of silica gel in the microwave device at maximum power for 3 minutes and it released a little water but if the same thing happens with the saved sachets it will damage my objects

If the sachets are stored in the air they will absorb water. As a suggestion: Put all your stuff together, then microwave your sachet and immediately pack it with your objects in a gas-proof bag (the shiny metallic bags) or container.

Edited by StringJunky

21 hours ago, gamer87 said:

Blue silica gel in a sachet when it is saturated in pink color if you keep the sachets in storage will they leak moisture and absorbed water?

I restored a sachet of silica gel in the microwave device at maximum power for 3 minutes and it released a little water but if the same thing happens with the saved sachets it will damage my objects

I have no knowledge of using a microwave to dry out spent silica gel.

We always used to heat it in a tray in a moderate dry (not gas) oven at 75 - 150 degreesC for a few hours.

Do not let it get too hot or it will loose its hygroscopic (water absorbing) properties.

Is anyone sure microwaving actually works ?

Personally I would be worried about local overheating and degradation of the gel.

Edited by studiot

3 minutes ago, studiot said:

I have no knowledge of using a micrwave to dry out spent silica gel.

We always used to heat it in a tray in a moderate dry (not gas) oven at 75 - 150 degreesC for a few hours.

Do not let it get too hot or it will loose its hygroscopic (water absorbing) properties.

Is anyone sure microwaving actually works ?

Personally I would be worried about local overheating and degradation of the gel.

It can't get hotter than 100c, until the water evaporates... can it?

5 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

It can't get hotter than 100c, until the water evaporates... can it?

I suppose in theory, as it is water that is absorbing the microwaves, once it has gone the silica gel should cool down, as it should be  transparent to microwaves of the frequency used. So the process ought to be OK, I think. 

14 minutes ago, exchemist said:

I suppose in theory, as it is water that is absorbing the microwaves, once it has gone the silica gel should cool down, as it should be  transparent to microwaves of the frequency used. So the process ought to be OK, I think. 

I wasn't sure if a domestic microwave could excite silica molecules and carry on heating.

Edited by StringJunky

As I said, I haven't tried a microwave but the net say it can be done but some sites are too gung ho for my taste.

Here is a measured warning plus useful instructions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/bwbvri/protip_microwave_your_silicadesiccant_to_dry_it/

3 minutes on 50% power, then flip and repeat.

Weigh them with a kitchen scale. They hold about 20% of their weight in water. You'll know they're recharged when the weight is back down.

Over heating them will destroy them so it's important to go slow.

This guy spread out the gel as I suggested before.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/dry-silica-gel-microwave-25024.html

1. Pour 1/2 pound of silica gel in a thick, glass casserole dish. Spread the gel around the dish evenly using a spoon.
  2. Select the medium temperature range on the microwave. Heat the gel for three minutes.
  3. Stir the gel with the spoon. Heat the gel for another three minutes.

So I suppose it depends upon quantity. The second guy used bigger amounts.

I remember changing the dessicant by the barrel load inside steel box girder bridges.

One worry I have with a microwave is that it takes time to properly dry out.

As soon as you remove the gel from the microwave it starts reabsorbing moisture from the atmousphere.

A conventional oven will still be dry inside as the gel is allowed to cool.

Edited by studiot

My 5 cents based on experience in underwater photography. We used to put a couple of silica gel packets in the housing to prevent fogging during the dive. After each use, we microwaved them for about 15 seconds and stored in the housing to be used next time. They were successfully reused this way many times.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

I wasn't sure if a domestic microwave could excite silica molecules and carry on heating.

You can put glass jars into a microwave and they stay cool. 

Though some glazes on earthenware get hot and crack (I have found, to my chagrin). 

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

You can put glass jars into a microwave and they stay cool. 

Though some glazes on earthenware get hot and crack (I have found, to my chagrin). 

Never realised it was silicon dioxide... yeah, glass doesn't warm up. 

Found this reddit. Could the reason be this:

I have a background in ceramics from waaaay back in the day. I'm pretty sure that the bowl is made from a white stoneware and not porcelain. Stonewares and earthenwares (like terracotta) are porous and absorb water. Porcelain is water tight (it's almost a cross between ceramic and glass). If you leave stoneware or earthenware in a sink full of water, the un-glazed parts of the ware (the 'foot' or bottom of the vessel usually) will soak up the water (and whatever else is in that water). You can tell from the cracks in the glaze that it hasn't been washed properly. It absorbed water and bloated up like a sponge causing the glaze to crack (technicaly it's called 'crazing'). When this happens it lets even more water into the ceramic. When you microwaved the bowl it affects the water in the ceramic. I bet you've noticed how some dishes will get hot in the microwave but others, like glass, don't seem to be affected. That's because of the moisture in the vessel. That 'stuff' that's boiled out is literally the nasty water and probably bacteria the ceramic has absorbed over time. It is UNSAFE to eat anything from a dish that has this crazing in the glaze due to bacteria buildup. Decoratively, 'crazing' can be something you want, like in Raku (Japanese wood fired pottery).

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Never realised it was silicon dioxide... yeah, glass doesn't warm up. 

Found this reddit. Could the reason be this:

Yes, that could be it. Though I don't buy the notion it is unsafe to eat from dishes with cracked glaze. Bacteria and fungus are all around us and I don't see why a few traces in the cracks in a glazed dish are likely to be pathogenic.

4 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Yes, that could be it. Though I don't buy the notion it is unsafe to eat from dishes with cracked glaze. Bacteria and fungus are all around us and I don't see why a few traces in the cracks in a glazed dish are likely to be pathogenic.

That's my attitude. 

35 minutes ago, gamer87 said:

my doubt is whether to keep or forget for years blue silica gel sachets that have turned pink and are saturated will these silica gel granules crack and release the absorbed water?

If you are not going to 'restore' - dry - the pink gel, what is the point of keeping them ?

Once saturated they no longer protect your valuables.

1 hour ago, gamer87 said:

my doubt is whether to keep or forget for years blue silica gel sachets that have turned pink and are saturated will these silica gel granules crack and release the absorbed water?

No. The water is adsorbed in the pores and will stay there. But the obvious thing to do is dry them out, in an oven at 120C for a few hours.