Mathematics is a Fairy Tale.

Especially talk of infinities are mental constructs with no physical proof that they exist.

Cantor proves the Reals are uncountable by constructing an infinite list of reals paired to a natural number. Such a list can be constructed conceptually in mind, but it cannot be physically produced to check that it exits. This is why I say mathematics is a Fairy Tale.

1 hour ago, Lorentz Jr said:

But there are no fairies in it. 🤔

And not a tale. Moby Dick could've ended up with Ahab having Moby for dinner, or the other way. Cantor's diagonal theorem has only one possible ending: Its logical conclusion.

Spoiler alert:

Spoiler

'Call me Ishmael' doesn't tell you Moby-Dick kills Ahab and destroys the Pequod.

:D 

Edited by joigus
correction of quote

3 hours ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

Especially talk of infinities are mental constructs with no physical proof that they exist.

Cantor proves the Reals are uncountable by constructing an infinite list of reals paired to a natural number. Such a list can be constructed conceptually in mind, but it cannot be physically produced to check that it exits. This is why I say mathematics is a Fairy Tale.

Fictionalism.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/fictionalism-mathematics/

!

Moderator Note

Rule 2.12

We expect arguments to be made in good faith. Honest discussions, backed up by evidence when necessary. Example of tactics that are not in good faith include misrepresentation, arguments based on distraction, attempts to omit or ignore information, advancing an ideology or agenda at the expense of the science being discussed, general appeals to science being flawed or dogmatic, conspiracies, and trolling.

Nebulous claims such as this do not make for a good-faith discussion