I started learning chemistry in school and I am very interested in it. Can anyone help me answer these questions?

TriForceHero_

I started learning chemistry in school and am very interested in it. I just have some questions.

1. Is making elements chemistry, I am pretty sure it is but I just wanna double check.

2.What materials and tools do I need to make basic elements.

3.What precautions do I need to do before doing chemistry with elements.

The first element I want to make is hydrogen I think that would be called protium correct me though because I really don't know.

Thank you for helping! 

Edited by TriForceHero_
changed title

• TriForceHero_ changed the title to I started learning chemistry in school and I am very interested in it. Can anyone help me answer these questions?
5 hours ago, TriForceHero_ said:

I started learning chemistry in school and am very interested in it. I just have some questions.

1. Is making elements chemistry, I am pretty sure it is but I just wanna double check.

The first element I want to make is hydrogen I think that would be called protium correct me though because I really don't know.

Thank you for helping! 

Learn a little bit of theory and a lot of safety.

Practical Chemistry can be fun, but can also be dangerous.

Chemists don't 'make' elements, they make compounds, which are substances that are combinations of 'elements'.

To start with don't worry about atoms, molecules and electrons.

Start with the idea that 'elements' are substances that cannot be divided or separated into anything simpler. There are a little over 100 naturally occurring elements.
A simple example is a lump of pure carbon.
If you keep dividing and subdividing ths lump you will always have pieces carbon and nothing else.

Chemistry is mostly about two things, how to combine these elements into compounds and how to separate out pure elements from compounds and mixtures.

There are many, many ways to perform both of these tasks.

But hydrogen separation can be dangerous as hydrogen gas is potentially explosive.

Does this help ?

5 hours ago, TriForceHero_ said:

Thank you for helping! 

Obtaining elements from compounds, for example by reduction of their oxides, is chemistry. So you can make hydrogen by electrolysing water.  

Protium is a term for one isotope of hydrogen, the predominant one. The term is only used in contexts in which it is important to distinguish it from deuterium and tritium. In almost al chemistry this is not necessary, so we just call it hydrogen. 

4 minutes ago, Sensei said:

A beginner should get a ball-n-stick model for visualization in 3D compounds.

Why

17 minutes ago, TriForceHero_ said:

Ok now I have 2 more questions.

1. What compounds are simple and not dangerous?

2.What materials do I need, stuff like beakers, gloves, eye glasses, etc.

Plenty available in the kitchen cupboard to start with.

The see what the local pharmacy will let you but.

Potassium permanganate is a good on, but take care it is very staining.

Form the kitchen you can get near pure

Sodium Chloride

Sodium Bicarbonate

Acetic Acid (get the clear vinegar)

Starch

Iodine

Sugar

That's a good start and spread.

More dangerous stuff from the household cupboard

Hydrochloric acid (descaler)

Sulphuric acid (car batteries)

Bleach (sodium hyochlorite)

So you will be able to learn about and experiment with acid/alkali reactions, redox reactions, salts, colour changes and their analytical uses, effects of temperature and much more.

What heat source are you thinking of ?

You can get small spirit lamps which are good for beginners.

Test tubes and a rack - larger reaction vessels need more ingredients.

Glass rod

yes good thinking about the safety glasses and other clothing +1

I'm sure there are some good books and websites for beginners at home, also ask your teacher.

There are some great electrochem experiments on youtube as well

here are some links to some stuff I found:

https://www.amazon.com/Yarlung-Beakers-Graduated-Measuring-Griffin/dp/B08HS62DS5/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=4LHT2TUA1TVU&keywords=beaker+set&qid=1675661592&sprefix=beaker+set%2Caps%2C201&sr=8-7-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUjJaMkQ4MkJZVEo0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDcxMzMzMTAxRjc2TFZQQ05ZNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzc4ODA2UThUME85OVZHM0pLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfbXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Stirrer-Maximum-Capacity-2000RPM/dp/B097HGN2HC/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=20QH9DEVOZ024&keywords=chemistry+hot+plate&qid=1675661800&sprefix=chemisty+hot+plate%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNzRXSUpNTDhITUtUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUExMDIzNDY5M0FUUFVCMkhNVjVSMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDg3OTUzMlM2WlY1OTlPOUhDQiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=#customerReviews

https://www.amazon.com/PACIFIC-PPE-Chemical-Resistant-Industrial/dp/B0978MNCF8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=33WCPFZOWPFDW&keywords=chemical+resistant+gloves&qid=1675662154&sprefix=chemical+res%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSDFZNDdJREJPRzFCJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjY2MzQ3MldEMFYyWFkxVDE4OCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDg3ODI4MlVZNEVENTk3NkdUUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/WOOLIKE-Industrial-Anti-Scratch-protection-Transparent/dp/B085L143QW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=lab+eye+protection&qid=1675662242&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRVRaR0dUMjA5OUtHJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTk5MTQ5NkRKUENGSTBWN0Q0JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxMzAyMjgxWjJPT1EzSDQxRElWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Do I need anything else?

• 2 months later...

I think the Amateur Science section may be really useful for you too

https://www.scienceforums.net/forum/78-amateur-science/

There is a thread on Red Cabbage indicator,   which is useful for testing for chemical pH. 

On 2/6/2023 at 4:29 PM, studiot said:

Why

Plenty available in the kitchen cupboard to start with.

The see what the local pharmacy will let you but.

Potassium permanganate is a good on, but take care it is very staining.

Form the kitchen you can get near pure

Sodium Chloride

Sodium Bicarbonate

Acetic Acid (get the clear vinegar)

Starch

Iodine

Sugar

That's a good start and spread.

More dangerous stuff from the household cupboard

Hydrochloric acid (descaler)

Sulphuric acid (car batteries)

Bleach (sodium hyochlorite)

So you will be able to learn about and experiment with acid/alkali reactions, redox reactions, salts, colour changes and their analytical uses, effects of temperature and much more.

What heat source are you thinking of ?

You can get small spirit lamps which are good for beginners.

Test tubes and a rack - larger reaction vessels need more ingredients.

Glass rod

yes good thinking about the safety glasses and other clothing +1

I'm sure there are some good books and websites for beginners at home, also ask your teacher.

There are some great electrochem experiments on youtube as well

Good safety goggles are a must,  for the dangerous acids,  you want gloves but the right kind for the acid being used,  best avoid the stronger acids till later if at all.

Paul

You can buy plastic beakers,  however I also buy jelly in pots,  the plastic pots are probably about 100ml so ideal for simple experiments until you get hold of some. 

Borosilicate glass is the type used for heating

Check out charity shops, I recently bought chemistry set for £2.50 each, and one a few months ago for the same.   The first one had all sorts of stuff in,  glassware, beakers, test tubes, chemicals, funnel,  test tube brush,   the 2nd one not so much but did have some test tubes which added to my small collection.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Randal E. Molloy said:

It's great to hear that you're interested in chemistry! Here are answers for your queries:

1. Creating elements in a laboratory typically involves processes such as nuclear fusion, which require extremely high temperatures and pressures and specialized equipment.

2. The equipment and materials needed to make basic elements would depend on the element being created and the process being used.

3. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as goggles and gloves, ensuring proper ventilation in the laboratory, and following proper handling and storage procedures for chemicals.

Also you can visit here to get more information: reposted link removed by moderator

This is quite funny. The spambot correctly says you need nuclear fusion to create elements - but then goes on, serenely, to warn you to use appropriate PPE and ensure lab ventilation when doing so! 

Edited by Phi for All
commercial link removed by moderator

3 hours ago, exchemist said:

This is quite funny. The spambot correctly says you need nuclear fusion to create elements - but then goes on, serenely, to warn you to use appropriate PPE and ensure lab ventilation when doing so! 

!

Moderator Note

I really wish you'd stop responding to them, or if you feel you must, please stop reposting their spam links.

38 minutes ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

I really wish you'd stop responding to them, or if you feel you must, please stop reposting their spam links.

OK, generally I don’t, but I admit I did find this one funny so I made an exception. Point taken about the link - I hadn’t thought about that.