Christianity; the myth of resurrection

NewAgeReason

On 9/13/2022 at 2:49 AM, swansont said:

Yes, Jesus. (it’s a name, you should capitalize) 

Where does it say this about anyone else? That it will happen for anyone else?  You were talking of this being promised to churchgoers.

ha. that's the nub, see. they advertise being 'born again'. well, what does born again mean? muses the churchgoer. they randomly pinpoint to jesus and say, 'oh, THAT born again. wow. if i go to church i can be born again like jesus. it's an attractive word, 'born again', 'ressurected from the dead. inviting to the gullible. the church uses psychology and deception to concote a deception called 'spiritual born again' using the jesus cover story. 

to illustrate. 

me: i got a diamond, want it?

you: sure

me: gives you a opal. 

you (assuming you are gullible): oh whatever, its still a diamond ill take it. 

you see my train of thought?

when the bible speaks of born again, what does it refer to? the PHYSICAL born again. 

there's other 'born again' varieties out there? holy moly, like what? spirit rebirth thingamajig? the bible certainly wasnt talking about spirit rebirth when it said born again, was it? ;)

swansont, i use smileys and theatrics to get my point across in american english, such being not my first language. the accent difference makes it hard to communicate otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, NewAgeReason said:

swansont, i use smileys and theatrics to get my point across in american english, such being not my first language. the accent difference makes it hard to communicate otherwise. 

You have no point. You have no American English. You are not communicating.

It's all self-delusion, based on this single misinterpretation that you make no effort to correct but keep repeating, of a doctrine you do not understand and make no effort to understand, even when it is explained in the simplest possible terms.

You have provided here no reason for anyone to waste any more time on you.

Edited by Peterkin

30 minutes ago, NewAgeReason said:

ha. that's the nub, see. they advertise being 'born again'. well, what does born again mean? muses the churchgoer. they randomly pinpoint to jesus and say, 'oh, THAT born again. wow. if i go to church i can be born again like jesus. it's an attractive word, 'born again', 'ressurected from the dead. inviting to the gullible. the church uses psychology and deception to concote a deception called 'spiritual born again' using the jesus cover story. 

Really? I’ve always understood it to be a spiritual thing, because that’s how it’s presented.

Do you have any evidence that people are under the impression that they will be resurrected, when they aren’t actually dead?

30 minutes ago, NewAgeReason said:

when the bible speaks of born again, what does it refer to? the PHYSICAL born again. 

I disagree. You could look at the Bible itself and see what it actually says. Is that somehow unreasonable?

Like John 3. https://web.mit.edu/jywang/www/cef/Bible/NIV/NIV_Bible/JOHN+3.html

It’s pretty clear it’s referring to something spiritual, and explicitly denies that it’s physical.

32 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

You have no point. You have no American English. You are not communicating.

It's all self-delusion, based on this single misinterpretation that you make no effort to correct but keep repeating, of a doctrine you do not understand and make no effort to understand, even when it is explained in the simplest possible terms.

You have provided here no reason for anyone to waste any more time on you.

if thats how you see it, i give up lol

4 minutes ago, swansont said:

Really? I’ve always understood it to be a spiritual thing, because that’s how it’s presented.

Do you have any evidence that people are under the impression that they will be resurrected, when they aren’t actually dead?

I disagree. You could look at the Bible itself and see what it actually says. Is that somehow unreasonable?

Like John 3. https://web.mit.edu/jywang/www/cef/Bible/NIV/NIV_Bible/JOHN+3.html

It’s pretty clear it’s referring to something spiritual, and explicitly denies that it’s physical.

point 1: Do you have any evidence that people are under the impression that they will be resurrected, when they aren’t actually dead? <<<< not hard evidence, no, but if i went to church, with 'born again' playing on my lips like russian lullaby, it would be because i fancied myself a contendor to the jesus/frankestein crowd. 'yay! im gonna go to church, im gonna be born again like jesus!' 

point 2: if and only if the label on the bottle says 'spiritual' as opposed to 'physical' then my argument is invalid. 

1 hour ago, NewAgeReason said:

point 1: Do you have any evidence that people are under the impression that they will be resurrected, when they aren’t actually dead? <<<< not hard evidence, no, but if i went to church, with 'born again' playing on my lips like russian lullaby, it would be because i fancied myself a contendor to the jesus/frankestein crowd. 'yay! im gonna go to church, im gonna be born again like jesus!' 

point 2: if and only if the label on the bottle says 'spiritual' as opposed to 'physical' then my argument is invalid. 

Point 1: if you went to church, you might have a passing familiarity with the Bible. (I haven’t been in literally decades, and yet I know there are passages talking about spiritual rebirth. Googling them isn’t difficult). Try and be minimally informed. Otherwise it just has the appearance of bashing religion. Manufactured outrage. 

19 hours ago, NewAgeReason said:

to illustrate. 

me: i got a diamond, want it?

you: sure

me: gives you a opal. 

you (assuming you are gullible): oh whatever, its still a diamond ill take it. 

you see my train of thought?

Yes, you're so frightened by the thought that you might be wrong, that you're willing to drown at the bottom of the well you've dug, rather than clime the ladder provided.

To illustrate:

Me: You look hungry, here's a sandwich.

Very hungry you: No thanks (thinking, it might be a trick and I'll look silly).

Me: OK (thinking, he's just being proud), well I don't like these, can you do me a favour and put them in that bin over there, please.

Very hungry you: Do it yourself (thinking, it might be a trick and I'll look silly).

Your train has derailed, it's up to you too notice.

Edited by dimreepr

• 3 weeks later...

There is a basic 2 step theory to rebirth.

Step #1  At the moment of death, the energy of all living cells in the body is converted into spiritual energy. Forming a spiritual body. Leaving behind only clothes, hair, fingernails and toenails. Essentially what jedi in star wars do.

Step #2  After the spiritual body forms, all of the spiritual energy is converted back into living tissue to form a material body.