Musk buying Twitter

StringJunky

Harder to put the brakes on people intentionally lying and disinforming others, and yes. The ban on Trump would surely be reversed.

That may not be a bad thing, though. The pushback against him has waned since he’s stuck shouting his bile on extreme right platforms with limited audiences / where he’s preaching to the converted.

Putting him back in the public eye, however, might help remind the public more broadly how nice the quiet has been during his absence. 

Unfortunately, good ideas don’t seem to be winning out in the marketplace of ideas. 

Edited by iNow

Verizon bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion in 2013, only to sell it for $3 million to Wordpress in 2019. Hopefully we can collectively do something similar with the cesspool that is twitter for Elon. 

15 minutes ago, Arete said:

Verizon bought Tumblr for $1.1 billion in 2013, only to sell it for $3 million to Wordpress in 2019. Hopefully we can collectively do something similar with the cesspool that is twitter for Elon. 

Yeah, I wonder what happens when a bunch of people leave the platform if they don't like how it's going - how quickly will it implode?

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Will this give Trump an opening for him to return? Any other predictions/motives regarding Musk doing this?

That's what I fear. Musk, like most charismatic business leaders, is by temperament an autocrat. I think Trump as president again would suit him nicely.   

34 minutes ago, swansont said:

Yeah, I wonder what happens when a bunch of people leave the platform if they don't like how it's going - how quickly will it implode?

I heard rumors that Elon wants to make Twitter an open-source project. So anyone will be able to change a few bits and run their own "Twitter v2.0" on their own servers or p2p collectively on a user's machine or so..

Edited by Sensei

Maybe he'll mess up one day and borrow more than he has. His wealth is in stock, which is based largely on the speculative whims of his companies investors. He may leave no buffer, and if Tesla tanks, he's up the creek without a paddle. In my memory he's gone from $20B to 10-12 times that in an incredibly short space of time. I have a feeling that the bulk of his wealth is too vulnerable  and he could become a cropper, with it being tied in loans. I don't think he's money-oriented per se, he seems to be using it to pursue his various agendas, and he seems to be pushing hard.

E2A Just realized, my post is largely the same as Arete is suggesting.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

E2A Just realized, my post is largely the same as Arete is suggesting.

"World's biggest clown buys worlds biggest circus" 

Also, the same thing happened with MySpace: News Corp. bought Myspace 2009 for $580 million and sold it to Viant for $35 million in 2011. 

Also, in terms of active users, Twitter is actually kind of small with 436 million, compared to Facebook's 2.9 billion, Youtube's 2.5 billion, WhatsApp's 2 billion, Instagram's 1.4 billion, TikTok's 1 billion, Snapchat's 557 million and Pinterest's 444 million. 

I'm just a layperson with no fondness for either Twitter or Elon Musk, but I imagine, given the increasing competition in social media platforms, poor management could kill twitter pretty rapidly. I also can't really imagine the Musk is capable of the kind of nuanced and insidious approach to data management, manipulation and collection that Mark Zuckerberg orchestrates with Facebook. 

43 minutes ago, Arete said:

Also, in terms of active users, Twitter is actually kind of small with 436 million, compared to Facebook's 2.9 billion, Youtube's 2.5 billion, WhatsApp's 2 billion, Instagram's 1.4 billion, TikTok's 1 billion, Snapchat's 557 million and Pinterest's 444 million. 

The quantity of registered users ("active users"? which is not the same) is not the only parameter that you should take into account.

https://blog.hootsuite.com/social-media-trends/

social-media-trends-2.thumb.jpg.73d3df56abad6c969dbf132b94d4de98.jpg

7 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Will this give Trump an opening for him to return? Any other predictions/motives regarding Musk doing this?

From a purely business perspective, allowing more controversial posts that engage other users in discussions and/or quarrels, is desired..

Twitter's price tag has been estimated at $44 billion. With 446 million users, that comes to $100 per user. If you want to know what you are worth to them.

Edited by Sensei

Trump told Fox today that he wouldn’t go back to twitter and plans to stay on his failing extreme right platform, Truth. 

Speaking of truth, Trump doesn’t often tell it so he’ll almost certainly come back anyway bc he’s also an insecure attention whore. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

Trump told Fox today that he wouldn’t go back to twitter and plans to stay on his failing extreme right platform, Truth. 

Speaking of truth, Trump doesn’t often tell it so he’ll almost certainly come back anyway bc he’s also an insecure attention whore. 

We can rely on Trump to be inconsistent until he finds his next opportunity.

• 3 weeks later...

Verified 'Elon Musk' Twitter account celebrates election with crypto scam |  Mashable

Donald Trump quietly “encouraged” Elon Musk’s takeover of social media giant Twitter ahead of the $44 billion deal, according to the boss of his own social-media app Truth Social — though Musk quickly disputed the claim.