Cleaning air after residential fire

chawke

There was a fire in an apartment facing directly opposite mine a few weeks ago, literally a few feet from my apartment, which destroyed the tenant's apartment (they've been relocated). I was away at the time. The damaged apartment is yet to undergo cleaning/renovation.

While I did not notice any structural damage to my own apartment, there was sooty water leakage through the front door (now cleaned) and a fire smoke smell. Special fans were used to help clean the air in the hallways, but they weren't put in apartments. 

For my apartment I opened all windows and placed fans blowing outwards, and used an air purifier and AC. I did that for at least a few hours at a time for a number of days - whenever I was at my apartment - but have been primarily staying at my girlfriend's ever since the fire as I still notice a smoke smell despite my cleaning efforts.

Does the smell necessarily mean there are harmful chemicals present in the air in my apartment? Are there any additional steps you'd recommend? Thanks.

No, the smell isn’t indicative of harmful chemicals in the air. 

If charred material is there, it will smell of char. It’s a bit like taking a charcoal bbq back into your place after cooking with it outside. It’s not dangerous, just stinky. 

13 minutes ago, iNow said:

No, the smell isn’t indicative of harmful chemicals in the air. 

If charred material is there, it will smell of char. It’s a bit like taking a charcoal bbq back into your place after cooking with it outside. It’s not dangerous, just stinky. 

As  long as one is absoluteley sure it's not smouldering in any way. I wouldn't bring spent charcoal in, just to be safe; it can produce carbon monoxide if stll glowing unseen. You probably meant that anyway, but I'm just highlighting that point for those not familiar.

We used ozone and ion generators to diminish smoke smell in expensive electronic equipment victim of nearby fires.  But is a several days/weeks treatment, not hours.  There should be other recommendations from experts in the field.   Better done when no people present.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. Good to know it's not necessarily harmful. I used an ozone generator for two 15-minute periods last week at either end of the apartment and it eliminated much if not virtually all of the smell. At this point I assume it's safe to start living there again.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually the smoky smell has returned after the two ~15-minute ozone sessions. I notice it a lot when I enter the apartment and when I wake up as I guess I'm no longer nose-blind at those times. I'll run it for longer periods and see if that helps. If not, guess I'll have to move when it's feasible to sell (which may not be now, as still waiting on repairs to the fire-damaged apartment opposite mine, which won't happen til the fire report is received).

The fix here is to remove the drywall and strip it bare to the studs where you'd want to hit the framing with a sand blaster / dry-ice blaster to knock the charred remains loose and leave the clean unburned wood below exposed.

7 minutes ago, iNow said:

The fix here is to remove the drywall and strip it bare to the studs where you'd want to hit the framing with a sand blaster / dry-ice blaster to knock the charred remains loose and leave the clean unburned wood below exposed.

Thanks but I don't see any burned material in my apartment (after the  aforementioned sooty water leakage clean which was at the other end) as it was sealed at the time of the fire. It seems to be just a very distracting smell and maybe harmful chemicals.

17 minutes ago, chawke said:

I don't see any burned material in my apartment

I have to assume you've not looked at the studs or anything below surface, or even used a detector that's better than the human eye to "see"

Strangely there's no longer such a smell in the building hall (even right next to the fire apt entrance), just my apartment. Maybe it's in the flooring, or it's something else. Either way I think I'll wait for the fire apartment repair to see if that helps.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:08 AM, chawke said:

Strangely there's no longer such a smell in the building hall (even right next to the fire apt entrance), just my apartment.

This is strange, and I would have it verified independently. It it's not just confirmation bias making you think this, it could point to a problem that needs further investigation.

I've had some experience with smoke odor,  living near a few wildfires.  A couple thoughts --

smoke odor can be persistent,  especially where porous materials like carpet,  upholstery, clothing are concerned.   Steam cleaning is helpful with the carpet/furniture (especially if you can get the landlord to view this as part of their obligations to tenants).

Wall paint is also surprisingly porous and holds odor,  too.   A sponge and soapy water may be called for.   Also a solution of baking soda,  scrubbed onto surface.   

I think it's likely that the apartments hold odor because they have more porous materials.   The burned apartment has probably had all its carpets and furnishings removed, as well as damaged surfaces,  and so is harboring less residual odors.