How does consciousness arise from within the thalamus?

fredreload

Now when we turn on a computer, it provides this hardware architecture with electricity so we can play games and listen to music on it. The brain is a bit similar to a computer and that the thalamus could be the one generating this main hardware architecture with electrical signal in the way of a waveform. The problem is I do not see how the consciousness arise from this waveform because it is just a wave and I sure think the computer is not conscious being something capable of generating an identical waveform through its hardware architecture(or any circuits with an output Q in that matter). So how does the consciousness arise from within the thalamus? Please let me know, any hints or theories are welcomed. Thanks.

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

I do not see how the consciousness arise from this waveform

!

Moderator Note

What is the evidence that it does?

You simply have to stop posing questions based on unsubstantiated premises. 

IOW, you can’t ask how aliens built the moon until you establish that aliens actually built the moon.

52 minutes ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

What is the evidence that it does?

You simply have to stop posing questions based on unsubstantiated premises. 

IOW, you can’t ask how aliens built the moon until you establish that aliens actually built the moon.

You cannot say a wave is alive. A wave is just a change in voltage. For instance a square wave. The consciousness "could" arise from a waveform, but we simply do not know enough about voltage and consciousness to test if it even exist. If you are saying a waveform is alive then a computer is alive, and any electrical appliances carrying a voltage is alive, which I sort of rule out because the possibility seems low or I would not know. The only way to test this is not from something that does not exist but from actual evidence that we can learn from, for instance, human, or any organism exhibiting a consciousness for that matter.

It seems you are implying that the consciousness arises out of voltage resonance(this might not be a term but I used it for clarification), or electrical resonance, but a resonance is just a change in amplitude, I can have a resonance on 5 volts or I can have a resonance on 5000 volts, the implication to which the consciousness arise from this phenomenon is not well defined.

11 minutes ago, fredreload said:

You cannot say...

If you are saying...

It seems you are implying...

All swansont did was ask you to support something you seem to be taking as a given. I don't know where you read all the rest of the stuff you think he's saying/implying. 

Why do you think only the thalamus is responsible?

19 minutes ago, fredreload said:

If you are saying a waveform is alive

!

Moderator Note

I’m not saying anything about the topic, so this is moot.

The problem is that you are asserting things as fact, and asking questions based on it, and that’s unacceptable. It is an example of an argument not made in good faith. You had a thread where you asserted unequivocally that the seat of the consciousness is in the striatum. Now we have this.

You’re making it up as you go. That’s not going to fly. It’s not science.

1 hour ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

I’m not saying anything about the topic, so this is moot.

The problem is that you are asserting things as fact, and asking questions based on it, and that’s unacceptable. It is an example of an argument not made in good faith. You had a thread where you asserted unequivocally that the seat of the consciousness is in the striatum. Now we have this.

You’re making it up as you go. That’s not going to fly. It’s not science.

Then what do you want me to do @@?

Before you discuss why or how something happens, you need to establish that it happens.

You need to start with " does consciousness arise from within the thalamus?"

Because the obvious answer is "no".

Do you have a reason to think otherwise?

Edited by John Cuthber

23 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Then what do you want me to do @@?

!

Moderator Note

Provide evidence (from mainstream science) that consciousness arise from within the thalamus. As I had asked.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

All swansont did was ask you to support something you seem to be taking as a given. I don't know where you read all the rest of the stuff you think he's saying/implying. 

Why do you think only the thalamus is responsible?

Ya, it's the whole consciousness circuit(RLC) that causes the voltage to resonate, good one.

12 minutes ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

Provide evidence (from mainstream science) that consciousness arise from within the thalamus. As I had asked.

Got it, I will work on it more tomorrow.

Edited by fredreload

!

Moderator Note

As OP has not established that the discussion is based on accepted biological knowledge, the thread has been moved to speculations. As such it follows the usual speculation rules and requires some support to allow a proper discussion.

28 minutes ago, CharonY said:
!

Moderator Note

As OP has not established that the discussion is based on accepted biological knowledge, the thread has been moved to speculations. As such it follows the usual speculation rules and requires some support to allow a proper discussion.

Ya, that is cool. So what defines one person's consciousness from another? The voltage voltz level?

21 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Ya, that is cool. So what defines one person's consciousness from another? The voltage voltz level?

Do you mean what distinguishes one person's consciousness from another person's? The fact that the two people are physically distinct. It's a bit like asking what makes one orange different from another one. 

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

Do you mean what distinguishes one person's consciousness from another person's? The fact that the two people are physically distinct. It's a bit like asking what makes one orange different from another one. 

I see, they can have the same voltage level but being different entities. Like they both have 5 volts but are two different entities. Like if I am a voltage entity I would say I have 5 volts, the other person is also a voltage entity with 5 volts, but we are two distinct entities.