Jupiter Abyss: APOD:

beecee

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download  the highest resolution version available.

Image Credit: NASA, Juno, SwRI, MSSS; Processing & License: Gerald Eichstädt & Sean Doran

Explanation: What's that black spot on Jupiter? No one is sure. During the latest pass of NASA's Juno around Jupiter, the robotic spacecraft imaged an usually dark cloud feature informally dubbed the Abyss. Surrounding cloud patterns show the Abyss to be at the center of a vortex. Since dark features on Jupiter's atmosphere tend to run deeper than light features, the Abyss may really be the deep hole that it appears -- but without more evidence that remains conjecture. The Abyss is surrounded by a complex of meandering clouds and other swirling storm systems, some of which are topped by light colored, high-altitude clouds. The featured image was captured last month while Juno passed only about 15,000 kilometers above Jupiter's cloud tops. The next close pass of Juno near Jupiter will be in July.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Anyone like to hazard a guess?

4 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

No idea, but what a stunning photo, better than any painting.

There are many stunning photographs at APOD [Astronomy Picture Of the Day] some far more stunning then others...just type in APOD...a new one everyday.

Here's another.....

See Explanation.  Clicking on the picture will download  the highest resolution version available.

SEIS: Listening for Marsquakes 
Image Credit: NASA, JPL-Caltech, Mars Insight

Explanation: If you put your ear to Mars, what would you hear? To find out, and to explore the unknown interior of Mars, NASA's Insight Lander deployed SEIS late last year, a sensitive seismometer that can detect marsquakes. In early April, after hearing the wind and motions initiated by the lander itself, SEIS recorded an unprecedented event that matches what was expected for a marsquake. This event can be heard on this YouTube video. Although Mars is not thought to have tectonic plateslike the Earth, numerous faults are visible on the Martian surface which likely occurred as the hot interior of Mars cooled -- and continues to cool. Were strong enough marsquakes to occur, SEIS could hear their rumbles reflected from large structures internal to Mars, like a liquid core, if one exists. Pictured last week, SEIS sits quietly on the Martian surface, taking in some Sunwhile light clouds are visible over the horizon.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:02 AM, beecee said:

There are many stunning photographs at APOD [Astronomy Picture Of the Day]

!

Moderator Note

If this is the topic of this thread, please desist. We aren't here to advertise for anyone. Please stick to a single discussion topic, hopefully within the rules.

10 hours ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

If this is the topic of this thread, please desist. We aren't here to advertise for anyone. Please stick to a single discussion topic, hopefully within the rules.

Hi phi for All, first off this isn't a moan, so I apologise in advance if it seems that way, but what's wrong with the link beecee gave? To me it seems like the other links I've been given yet they seem fine, and personally I've found that the links I've been given have been the most educational part of the site ( which is great by the way :) )

5 hours ago, Curious layman said:

Hi phi for All, first off this isn't a moan, so I apologise in advance if it seems that way, but what's wrong with the link beecee gave? To me it seems like the other links I've been given yet they seem fine, and personally I've found that the links I've been given have been the most educational part of the site ( which is great by the way :) )

!

Moderator Note

It’s not news, as such. Pictures or videos are ok as support for discussion, but don’t work so well as the topic itself

7 hours ago, Curious layman said:

!

Moderator Note

Discussing the Jupiter Abyss based on a photo from APOD is perfectly within our rules. The second photo was either off-topic (since it wasn't about the Jupiter Abyss), or was trying to change the focus to promote someone else's website, both of which are against the rules. 

Further discussion of modnotes will be split to Trash.

My apologies for apparently taking this off track with the second photo. 

On examining the photo again, I believe it simply maybe another deep seated storm composed similar to Jupiter's giant red spot, and with a calm center similar to what we see with hurricanes and such on Earth.which from last reports seems to be slowly dissipating. 

Or possibly the remnants of a large asteroid/comet collision? [We did I recall see similar when Shoemaker/Levy 9 broke up and hit Jupiter a while back.

Edited by beecee

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

Could that dark spot be looking down a vortex, such as a tornado funnel vortex?

That was my first thought. But then I remember the photos of the after effects of when comet Shoemaker/Levy 9 left and they are/were similar. Here....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Shoemaker–Levy_9#Impacts

220px-Hubble_Space_Telescope_Image_of_Fragment_BDGLNQ12R_Impacts.png

Jupiter in ultraviolet (about 2.5 hours after R's impact). The black dot near the top is Io transiting Jupiter

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

'Here's another from...

https://www.google.com/search?q=photo+jupiter+after+comet+shoemaker+levy+9+left&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=AEbXmGUHkZkiQM%3A%2CkUjRdLI1ry5cJM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQazQWNhxJ7M_Sjz9cB1v7eXPnFhQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipsfC-tPbiAhUhSo8KHQEuDFgQ9QEwFnoECAAQCA#imgrc=PCQYazxzJt8_4M:&vet=1

Image result for photo jupiter after comet shoemaker levy 9 left

Edited by beecee