Sign in to follow this  
Michael McMahon

Solipsism

Solipsism Syndrome is "a psychological state in which a person feels that reality is not external to his or her mind". 

But is derealization/depersonalization related to this source of anxiety? Do they exist on a spectrum?

People who suffer from derealization say that they feel like they are in a dream. But what does that mean? Dreams obviously happen inside your own head. Therefore if you are in a dream, no one else exists. In a sense we can never know what another person is thinking. We can only infer they are conscious from their behaviour. So is derealization, with symptoms like perceptual and emotional abnormalities,  a result of anxiety-induced solipsism?

1 hour ago, Michael McMahon said:

is derealization, with symptoms like perceptual and emotional abnormalities,  a result of anxiety-induced solipsism?

I anticipate this answer feeling deeply unsatisfying, but in some cases yes they are and in other cases no they’re not. It will vary from one person to the next. 

Personally, I find solipsism absurd, and I’m no absurdist.

1 hour ago, Michael McMahon said:

Solipsism Syndrome is "a psychological state in which a person feels that reality is not external to his or her mind". 

But is derealization/depersonalization related to this source of anxiety? Do they exist on a spectrum?

People who suffer from derealization say that they feel like they are in a dream. But what does that mean? Dreams obviously happen inside your own head. Therefore if you are in a dream, no one else exists. In a sense we can never know what another person is thinking. We can only infer they are conscious from their behaviour. So is derealization, with symptoms like perceptual and emotional abnormalities,  a result of anxiety-induced solipsism?

I think you're overthinking the issue. There's a sea of dicks out there and solipsists are swimming in it giving the pace. 

17 hours ago, Michael McMahon said:

Solipsism would lead to loneliness and isolation.

That depends on the conclusion the solipsist reaches: 

Since I don't know, then fuck it, I'll play.

Since I don't know, then fuck you/it, give me my ball.

17 hours ago, Michael McMahon said:

I don't think it's selfish.

Selfish is a different question.

It is absolut selfish...some level of selfishness is necessary but this idea is not aligned with reality. 

I reject the idea of solophism.

Isn't it a mental state to believe in something like that? 

On 6/11/2019 at 12:52 AM, Michael McMahon said:

It is external 9.9999......9% and internal 0.00....01% which internal is actually part of the overall = 1.0...0! 

We are almost NOTHING without reality itself.

You just have to realize it. 

You are what you know.

A human can not know everything.

Edited by FreeWill