can plants adapt?

Itoero

Due to global warming the  wintertime becomes shorter and will be less severe.

Longer/severe wintertime inhibits water vaporization and makes trees ( and other plants) go in 'hibernation'.

Global warming messes up this system. Can plants adapt to longer growingperiods with on average less water? Or is global warming to fast to allow a normal evolution?

On 28.12.2018 at 4:21 PM, Itoero said:

With this misconception/misinterpretation you're just giving bullets to guns of climate change deniers. It's not so simple.

Global warming will melt ice on the North and the South poles. Right. It'll change e.g. underwater sea current in Atlantic. This current is causing warm winters in U.K.

Now, if climate change supporter is simplifying global warming to just words like you said, and people see exactly reverse, like it can happen in UK after disappearance of underwater sea current, they will be confused, and say you're talking nonsense about global warming, if they will have severe winters..

Global warming is global change of moderate environment, to the more extreme environment..

Extremity not just in hotness (in some regions), but also extremity of coldness (in some regions).

Edited by Sensei

On 28/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, Itoero said:

Not necessarily true. Depends where you are and what your climate is. It may be true on average, in some places, but it may also mean that you have even more extremes.

On 28/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, Itoero said:

Global warming messes up this system. Can plants adapt to longer growingperiods with on average less water?

Some plants can adapt in short time scales. For example, some deciduous trees will happily grow near the equator. They then adapt by wither never losing leaves or losing them continuously. Eventually they may evolve to better fit the new environment. However, other plants  will just die. So I doubt there is a simple answer to this. 

Increasing CO2 levels may be good for some plants, allowing them to grow faster. But it will probably reduce yields of rice, for example as they are sensitive to high levels.

Or is global warming to fast to allow a normal evolution?

In most cases, probably. Small organisms, such as insects, that reproduce rapidly and in large numbers may be able to keep up.

8 hours ago, Sensei said:

With this misconception/misinterpretation you're just giving bullets to guns of climate change deniers. It's not so simple.

I should have said 'on average'. This in no way gives bullets to guns of climate change deniers

Global warming will melt ice on the North and the South poles

Yes, but (for example) most glaciers in the Andes, Himalaya and Rocky mountains are also in retreat

Extremity not just in hotness (in some regions), but also extremity of coldness (in some regions).

The extremity in hotness is not in 'some' regions, it's in many regions.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, zapatos said:

I thought Sensei did an excellent job of explaining why it did. 

It's a 'fact' that winters on average become shorter and less severe.(Sensei even acknowledged this by stating winters in uk are warmer) Most glaciers all over the world are melting. ..

So acknowledging the severity of global warming gives bullets to climate change deniers?

You misinterpret things because it's me...I'm a malcontent primate.

Edited by Itoero

5 hours ago, Itoero said:

So acknowledging the severity of global warming gives bullets to climate change deniers?

Why do you do this? Is it so hard to acknowledge that someone other than you can have a valid point? All Sensei did was point out a potential problem with your description of global warming. It wasn't a personal attack.

19 hours ago, Nod2003 said:

Winter is based off the earth’s axial tilt.  The angular tilt shouldn’t be impacted by CO2 levels.

CO2 levels won't change the timing of winter but may make winters warmer or colder (depending where you are) or just more extreme both ways.

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:50 PM, zapatos said:

Why do you do this? Is it so hard to acknowledge that someone other than you can have a valid point? All Sensei did was point out a potential problem with your description of global warming. It wasn't a personal attack.

Yes it was, he called me a climate change supporter ….Due to Global warming winters on average become shorter and less severe, the oceancurrent increases this. This is semantics, you can also say that winters grow warmer. In the North there are area's with a dry climate,  plants and trees can grow pretty big because they 'hibernate' and while they hibernate it's  generally very cold which inhibits water vaporization. So when trees and plants 'wakke up' from hibernation, all the water starts to melt which enables a strong new growth. Global warming messes up this system so I asked how plans will adapt to this.

Many(not all) area's will have a longer growing season with less water.

Edited by Itoero

I think plant displacement will more significant than plant adaptation/evolution. To some extent many plants that already do better with warmer winters already co-exist within existing ecosystems, taking advantage of conditions that were previously exceptional but will become commonplace. The relative dominance of different species will be changed long before there is significant adaptation or evolution. Others species will come as "weeds" or even as deliberate introductions. Very likely natural area "restoration" efforts will become pre-emptive transformation or even relocation in efforts to preserve ecosystems and habitat - and prevent species losses.

I will say that living in a region that historically experiences extremes of summer heat gives a very different and more alarming perspective on a few degrees of warming than living in somewhere that is historically subject to extremes of cold.

Edited by Ken Fabian

It's today 19°C in Belgium, that's uncommonly warm.

I noticed (in my garden) plants that grow with less water grow more often compact and their roots are more developed.

Water is an ingredient of photosynthesis so with less water, you decrease the growth of a plant.

Edited by Itoero

On 2/25/2019 at 11:35 PM, Itoero said:
On 2/24/2019 at 9:50 PM, zapatos said:

(...) It wasn't a personal attack.

Yes it was, he called me a climate change supporter ….

...I am quite confused.... since when calling somebody "climate change supporter" is "personal attack"... ? Do you find it offensive.. ?

ps. By "climate change supporter" obviously I mean somebody who is accepting and understanding man-made global warming problem..

7 minutes ago, Sensei said:

...I am quite confused.... since when calling somebody "climate change supporter" is "personal attack"... ? Do you find it offensive.. ?

ps. By "climate change supporter" obviously I mean somebody who is accepting and understanding man-made global warming problem..

I'm sorry, when I hear 'climate change supporter' I think about someone who thinks climate change is great  and cheerleads climate change. :)