Is there a rational reason for religion?

ALine

8 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I don't think a cult really counts as a religion, I'm sorry I was too cryptic in my question, my reference to Scientology was meant to indicate that, my bad doh :doh: 

It is a fine line between cult and religion. Christianity started off as a cult. Many early Christians were even put to death for what was once viewed as occultist practices. So if you are going to play "that is a cult and not a religion" it would say loads of tome if you just listed the religions you personally accept are in fact religions.

*Also my post that started this exchange said "prophet" and not major religion that dimreeper accepts as such. 

8 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

It is a fine line between cult and religion. 

The numbers would suggest otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Christianity started off as a cult. 

I would argue Christianity started off as an idea, that it would seem a large swath of the populace agreed with, despite their previous belief, what cult has managed that?

5 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Not at all, when i say reality I mean reality... 

Yet the real world includes religions...

7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

The numbers would suggest otherwise. 

No the numbers suggest nothing of the sort, the number of people who believe something have no bearing on it's veracity... There are millions of Jehovah's witnesses yet it has all the entirely subjective aspects of a cult... 

I would argue Christianity started off as an idea, that it would seem a large swath of the populace agreed with, despite their previous belief, what cult has managed that?

All cults/religions start off as ideas in fact i think it can be asserted that all religions start out as cults except that a cult vs religion is a subjective thing. No objective standards exist that separate either one from the other...

7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Yet the real world includes religions...

Obviously, the real world also contains cults, what would be your point? 

Edited by Moontanman

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I don't think a cult really counts as a religion, I'm sorry I was too cryptic in my question, my reference to Scientology was meant to indicate that, my bad doh :doh: 

The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own. — Frank Zappa

3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

No the numbers suggest nothing of the sort, the number of people who believe something have no bearing on it's veracity.

It does if they think their belief is sacrosanct, and the idea changes that belief; or do you put Einstien in the cult section? 

1 minute ago, Itoero said:

The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own. — Frank Zappa

When you come up with your own idea, let me know...

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

It does if they think their belief is sacrosanct, and the idea changes that belief; or do you put Einstien in the cult section? 

I thought we were talking about religion? But I wouldn't be surprised if some deranged group has built a cult based on some aspect of Einstein... 

5 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I thought we were talking about religion? But I wouldn't be surprised if some deranged group has built a cult based on some aspect of Einstein... 

Who says we aren't, understanding is key but if we stop now, it's easy to see how Einstien is no more than a cult.

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Who says we aren't, understanding is key but if we stop now, it's easy to see how Einstien is no more than a cult.

No, Einstein is simply a man who proposed theories that so far have been confirmed, how is that comparable to something that cannot be confirmed and has to be accepted on nothing but faith? 

Just now, Moontanman said:

No, Einstein is simply a man who proposed theories that so far have been confirmed, how is that comparable to something that cannot be confirmed and has to be accepted on nothing but faith? 

Time and Chinese whispers.

Just now, Moontanman said:

Time and chinese whispers is almost the exact definition of the basis for the origin of religion... 

In your world/reality, no shit...

What makes you think the future will be any different?