Jump to content

Is there a rational reason for religion?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

The main difference between a cult and a religion is that in a cult the people who know it's bullshit are still alive.. 

Well, that's the flippant answer, but it's not very useful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You believe in intellectualism for the reasons we don't know and may be you can't justify! But at least you invest a lot in it here and you worship ideas that work for you  Bravo

Besides the obvious difference between a religion and a cult in numbers of worshipers, isn’t majority of modern cults led by a living person treated like a deity by the worshipers where as in religion

Er, no. the whole point is that if something works, we don't need to use belief. For example your computer works, because the underlying technology works, because the underlying science works. 

8 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I don't think a cult really counts as a religion, I'm sorry I was too cryptic in my question, my reference to Scientology was meant to indicate that, my bad doh :doh: 

It is a fine line between cult and religion. Christianity started off as a cult. Many early Christians were even put to death for what was once viewed as occultist practices. So if you are going to play "that is a cult and not a religion" it would say loads of tome if you just listed the religions you personally accept are in fact religions.

*Also my post that started this exchange said "prophet" and not major religion that dimreeper accepts as such. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

The reality of what? Religions or cults?

Reality, what a concept... Reality isn't limited to cults or religions, it's called by the natural world or maybe the universe...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Reality, what a concept... Reality isn't limited to cults or religions, it's called by the natural world or maybe the universe...

You seem to be deliberately obtuse, on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

It is a fine line between cult and religion. 

 

The numbers would suggest otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Ten oz said:

Christianity started off as a cult. 

 

I would argue Christianity started off as an idea, that it would seem a large swath of the populace agreed with, despite their previous belief, what cult has managed that?

 

5 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Not at all, when i say reality I mean reality... 

Yet the real world includes religions...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

The numbers would suggest otherwise. 

No the numbers suggest nothing of the sort, the number of people who believe something have no bearing on it's veracity... There are millions of Jehovah's witnesses yet it has all the entirely subjective aspects of a cult... 

Quote

I would argue Christianity started off as an idea, that it would seem a large swath of the populace agreed with, despite their previous belief, what cult has managed that?

 

All cults/religions start off as ideas in fact i think it can be asserted that all religions start out as cults except that a cult vs religion is a subjective thing. No objective standards exist that separate either one from the other...

7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Yet the real world includes religions...

Obviously, the real world also contains cults, what would be your point? 

Edited by Moontanman
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I don't think a cult really counts as a religion, I'm sorry I was too cryptic in my question, my reference to Scientology was meant to indicate that, my bad doh :doh: 

The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own. — Frank Zappa

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

No the numbers suggest nothing of the sort, the number of people who believe something have no bearing on it's veracity.

 

It does if they think their belief is sacrosanct, and the idea changes that belief; or do you put Einstien in the cult section? 

1 minute ago, Itoero said:

The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own. — Frank Zappa

When you come up with your own idea, let me know...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

 

It does if they think their belief is sacrosanct, and the idea changes that belief; or do you put Einstien in the cult section? 

I thought we were talking about religion? But I wouldn't be surprised if some deranged group has built a cult based on some aspect of Einstein... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

I thought we were talking about religion? But I wouldn't be surprised if some deranged group has built a cult based on some aspect of Einstein... 

Who says we aren't, understanding is key but if we stop now, it's easy to see how Einstien is no more than a cult.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Who says we aren't, understanding is key but if we stop now, it's easy to see how Einstien is no more than a cult.

No, Einstein is simply a man who proposed theories that so far have been confirmed, how is that comparable to something that cannot be confirmed and has to be accepted on nothing but faith? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moontanman said:

No, Einstein is simply a man who proposed theories that so far have been confirmed, how is that comparable to something that cannot be confirmed and has to be accepted on nothing but faith? 

Time and Chinese whispers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moontanman said:

Time and chinese whispers is almost the exact definition of the basis for the origin of religion... 

In your world/reality, no shit...

What makes you think the future will be any different?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Well, then I guess we agree again.

We are really going to have to stop this, people are going to talk... :ph34r:

Edited by Moontanman
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.