Movement in virtual reality

monkeyboy56

The other day I had a nasty case of sleep paralysis .(you wake up and you cant move because your still under the effect of the substances that paralyze your body to keep you from reenacting your dreams while you sleep)

and  i thought couldnt we use that substance to make a realistic virtual reality ?.

I know i m not explaining myself too well but the idea is that your brain would transmit the order to move ( a leg for example) which would be picked up by a device( capable of analyzing the information that your nervous system delivers too your muscles from the brain )meanwhile the substance mentioned above would stop the message from reaching the body therefore you would only move inside the program.

This has probably been talked about a million times before but more tan wether its possible im interested in how far away we are from managing it 

Edited by monkeyboy56

10 minutes ago, monkeyboy56 said:

The other day I had a nasty case of sleep paralysis .(you wake up and you cant move because your still under the effect of the substances that paralyze your body to keep you from reenacting your dreams while you sleep)

and  i thought couldnt we use that substance to make a realistic virtual reality .

I know i m not explaining myself too well but the idea is that your brain would transmit the order to move ( a leg for example) which would be picked up by a device( capable of analyzing the information that your nervous system delivers too your muscles from the brain )meanwhile the substance mentioned above would stop the message from reaching the body therefore you would only move inside the program.

This has probably been talked about a million times before but more tan wether its possible im interested in how far away we are from managing it 

Learn lucid dreaming.

15 minutes ago, monkeyboy56 said:

and  i thought couldnt we use that substance to make a realistic virtual reality .

What's the point? 

26 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

What's the point? 

OP wants to move in virtual reality, and remain motionless in reality. In kinect you have to move for computer to capture your movement and translate to game world. He wants to have sort of "mental kinect". The real thought of movement has to cause action in the game engine.

4 minutes ago, Sensei said:

OP wants to move in virtual reality, and remain motionless in reality. In kinect you have to move for computer to capture your movement and translate to game world. He wants to have sort of "mental kinect". The real thought of movement has to cause action in the game engine.

Kinda my point.

BMI and VR has been done.

For REM, The signals going to (most of) the muscles are being limited.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120711131030.htm

Only thing is Brain is dumbly still expecting feedback when it tries to move them.

Could put everything together and pull this off. We can't duplicate the muscle feedback yet though. Think it would vary from person to person.

It is really trippy walking around with the goggles on.