Astrology [ANSWERED BY STAFF: NEVER!]

1 hour ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

...on a science forum? I don’t think so, sorry.

Why not? It’s just as informative, technical, and accurate as, you know, the theory of gravity. I say, let’s add it in the Physics section! :D

25 minutes ago, tmx3 said:

Why not? It’s just as informative, technical, and accurate as, you know, the theory of gravity. I say, let’s add it in the Physics section! :D

Are you perhaps thinking of astronomy? Because we have a section for that. We absolutely do not have one for astrology, and nor will we ever.

2 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Are you perhaps thinking of astronomy? Because we have a section for that. We absolutely do not have one for astrology, and nor will we ever.

No, I’m talking about astrology. And I just had a good laugh. I was only teasing. :P 

4 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Of course we do. It’s called the Trash Can

Just now, hypervalent_iodine said:

The main section of the science forum is for science, and astrology is quite far away from being science. Why do you think astrology would ever belong in physics?

I think it’s got potential... 

Well, when I went heavy into thinking about astrology—but not just astrology I mean life and all in general—I somehow got into thinking, what if when we’re born during a certain point in space and time, all the stars (and not just the stars but the shape of the universe with all its laws that hold true rules about attraction, magnetism, etc.)  are aligned in such a way that they do somehow have an effect in our genetic makeup and possibly our lifepath, the way we are and what we go through... I mean, in the end, all we are is a whole bunch of atoms that held together really well, right? And, in the same way that plants bend to the sun’s light, I don’t see why we, as by-products of say like the big bang or whatever and being that we are composed of atoms and molecules, can’t bend to the way the universe aligns itself. 

3 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

I mean I was teasing but I was also serious. 

(Now the world will never know. 

Muahahaha ha ha ha . . . )

4 minutes ago, tmx3 said:

Well, when I went heavy into thinking about astrology—but not just astrology I mean life and all in general—I somehow got into thinking, what if when we’re born during a certain point in space and time, all the stars (and not just the stars but the shape of the universe with all its laws that hold true rules about attraction, magnetism, etc.)  are aligned in such a way that they do somehow have an effect in our genetic makeup and possibly our lifepath, the way we are and what we go through... I mean, in the end, all we are is a whole bunch of atoms that held together really well, right? And, in the same way that plants bend to the sun’s light, I don’t see why we, as by-products of say like the big bang or whatever and being that we are composed of atoms and molecules, can’t bend to the way the universe aligns itself. 

If this is your viewpoint, then you can start a topic in the speculation section.

From there, you form a testable hypothesis, come up with a measurable experiment, perform the experiment, observe the results, and come out with a conclusion.

Speaking of astrology, we have the same birthday.......

Edited by Raider5678

2 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

If this is your viewpoint, then you can start a topic in the speculation section.

From there, you form a testable hypothesis, come up with a measurable experiment, perform the experiment, observe the results, and come out with a conclusion.

...I really appreciate you even mentioning to do that for me. Thank you! I will, I just need to set aside the time to really word it right so people have a clear understanding of what I mean. That, and I’d have to figure out how to test it. Doubt it’s achievable—it’s all just speculation, and it kind of ends there. 

5 minutes ago, Raider5678 said:

Speaking of astrology, we have the same birthday.......

Oh my gosh I was gonna say we have the same bday!!!! Woot woot!!!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, tmx3 said:

I mean I was teasing but I was also serious. 

(Now the world will never know. 

Muahahaha ha ha ha . . . )

What precedes us paints our future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect

7 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

If you have a hypothesis, and you have scientific reasoning and sound evidence to back it up, you can post in Speculations. Anything less than that will be placed in the Trash or closed.

So there’s a rule book for this site or something? Is this a joke?

9 minutes ago, tmx3 said:

So there’s a rule book for this site or something? Is this a joke?

The site, as a science site and place for rational discourse, would fall apart if there wasn't any rules. A difference between this site and other sites of the same kind is that we will explore why some things aren't science and explain why.

Edited by StringJunky

1 minute ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Do you think it unreasonable that a discussion board such as this have rules and guidelines? I struggle to think of any web forum that doesn’t have at least some rules.

I’m only teasing you by referring to the generic “fine print”—aka rules that people like myself don’t read and therefore explaining my obliviousness to the rules... Laugh with me: ha ha ha 

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

The site, as a science site and place for rational discourse, would fall apart if there wasn't any rules.

I know, I know. I mean, I’ve been on forums where they have everything—science talks, philosophical discussion, and miscellaneous which includes astrology and all that without rigid structures or rules...other than of course harassment, but the admin was pretty much to him/herself. 

3 minutes ago, tmx3 said:

I’m only teasing you by referring to the generic “fine print”—aka rules that people like myself don’t read and therefore explaining my obliviousness to the rules... Laugh with me: ha ha ha 

I know, I know. I mean, I’ve been on forums where they have everything—science talks, philosophical discussion, and miscellaneous which includes astrology and all that without rigid structures or rules...other than of course harassment, but the admin was pretty much to him/herself. 

SFN is a bit more formal than that, particularly in the hard science sections. I see this site as fairly relaxed and loose around the edges but with a firm scientific centre that holds it all together in the areas of the forum that are not pure science. The hard science areas are kept focussed for the benefit of those  that are studying formally and those that want a purely scientific angle on things.... it avoids confusion.

6 minutes ago, tmx3 said:

Yes, well wouldn’t the world be a dull place if everywhere you went was exactly the same as the last. SFN does not run in the way you describe. I’m sorry if that doesn’t meet with what you were after. I would suggest you read the rules if you haven’t already. There should be a link on the home page. There are also additional rules in a few sections, and those links are present in the sub-forum to which they are applicable. 

10 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

SFN is a bit more formal than that, particularly in the hard science sections. I see this site as fairly relaxed and loose around the edges but with a firm scientific centre that holds it all together in the areas of the forum that are not pure science. The hard science areas are kept focussed for the benefit of those  that are studying formally and those that want a purely scientific angle on things.... it avoids confusion.

I see, I see. Thanks for that :)