Ability to pass through a solid

Nedcim

8 minutes ago, Nedcim said:

Is there anything that can be seen or filmed that can pass through solid objects?

Highly accelerated charged particles can pass through metals or concrete.

It can be seen in f.e. Cloud Chamber.

In this video some alpha particles pass through Gold foil.

it's called Gold Foil Experiment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geiger–Marsden_experiment

Neutral charged particles even easier pass through solid medium. f.e. neutrinos, neutrons, neutral pions, neutral kaons, gamma photons,

but it's hard to detect and film them.

Edited by Sensei

35 minutes ago, Nedcim said:

Is there anything that can be seen or filmed that can pass through solid objects?

Certain wavelengths of light. Visible light goes through glass, obviously.

The last picture here is a thermal IR image through a sheet of polyethylene. Passes through quite nicely.

What do you mean by solid?

Small molecules can seep through what seem to us to be impenetrable solid barriers.

Helium seeps out of helium balloons, which eventually deflate.

Methane seeps through solid concrete floor slabs so special measure have to be taken when building over methane producing sites eg old rubbish tips.

Water seeps through solid earth and some solid rocks.

Edited by studiot

53 minutes ago, swansont said:

Certain wavelengths of light. Visible light goes through glass, obviously.

The last picture here is a thermal IR image through a sheet of polyethylene. Passes through quite nicely.

I don't know if this is splitting hairs but is it the same particle that hits the surface that comes out the other side or is it an energy transfer through neighbouring particles culminating in the exiting of a different particle of the same type... sort of a domino  effect?

26 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I don't know if this is splitting hairs but is it the same particle that hits the surface that comes out the other side or is it an energy transfer through neighbouring particles culminating in the exiting of a different particle of the same type... sort of a domino  effect?

If they're identical how could you tell? (Similar problem to the one electron universe...)

Just now, Klaynos said:

If they're identical how could you tell?

This what I'm asking. I suppose the answer is that it's not known. Would it be possible to induce a measurable property in the ejected particle that is different to the barrier particles and see if any particles with that of the ejected particle are measured?

1 minute ago, StringJunky said:

This what I'm asking. I suppose the answer is that it's not known. Would it be possible to induce a measurable property in the ejected particle that is different to the barrier particles and see if any particles with that of the ejected particle are measured?

I think that requires an interaction with a real state, which changes the conditions somewhat.

3 minutes ago, swansont said:

I think that requires an interaction with a real state, which changes the conditions somewhat.

Right. I suppose it doesn't really matter practically , all the properties of the exiting particle match the incoming particle.

Edit: correction

Edited by StringJunky