SFN Flash Movie: Stage 1; Choosing our story

RedAlert

Are you serious about doing this, RedAlert? Cuz it might be funny to see a troll looking cartoon character with the name WILLOWTREE or something get slimed by a cartoon me. I always wanted to see that. :P It might be a long video and I got dial-up (:mad:) but it would be worth it.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious about doing this, RedAlert? Cuz it might be funny to see a troll looking cartoon character with the name WILLOWTREE or something get slimed by a cartoon me. I always wanted to see that. :P It might be a long video and I got dial-up (:mad:) but it would be worth it.

Yes we are ACTUALLY doing this. However, not many people seem to be interested....there are only about six of us...I don't know whether we should start anyways, or wait for more people to join.

I have friend i gan get to make music, or write, or even draw concept art.

and i have one friend that can make a fairly good flash movie.

but then, that wouldn't exactly be an SFN movie :P

we have some people that can do music and write on this forum, but can anyone make flash movies? or draw concept art? do we even need concept art?

as for the story, how long of a movie are we planning on making?

how many characters (approximately)? if trolls are streaming out of houses, it's going to be a lot.... and we gotta have a lot of SFN members to combat them.

how good do you want it to be?

Visual representations: simple toon-types (similar to South Park), SFN members with t-shirts with their names on them, variable hair color/length, beards, mustaches (I know Mokele has big honkin' sideburns). Can we do this?

Then everyone involved needs to give those details. I have medium length brownish-blond hair, a mustache and a triangular flavor-saver under my bottom lip, and I wear rimless glasses. I prefer a green t-shirt.

I have a short dark beard, medium brown hair and I wear camoflage or green a lot. I guess I will help however I can, Red. You could animate everyone to look like Terrence & Philip on South Park, and like Phi said, make us all just have our names on our shirts like them too.

Possible Titles:

1.Troll SurFiN

2. GeekSeekers

3. Debate to Catch DeTrolls

4. SFN: Agents for Truth

Opening scene: We start with the SFN logo on a pale background, then add the Title below it. Hold for a couple of seconds, then the background (which is really a bedroom door), along with the title, opens to reveal an anonymous SFN member from behind (more realistically drawn than the eventual characters will be) seated in front of his/her computer (the logo stays and is now centered on the back of his/her t-shirt. He/she is hunched over the keyboard furiously typing.

Suddenly, a warning light flashes on the computer and a metallic voice says "TROLL ALERT... TROLL ALERT...." He/she reaches into a drawer and hangs up a sign on the shelves in the background that says, "Gone Fishing", then presses ESCAPE on the keyboard and is immediately sucked into the computer screen, where he enters our more toonish, South Park type character world.

Note to makers: Any charachters should be stored as seperate files from the main movie so that others can use them in future episodes or whatever. I mean, just keep charachters and backgrounds and whatever all seperate and then put it all into the one main thing after, that way its easy to edit or re-use individual parts.

my take on your possible titles:

1) Troll SurFiN: gives too much information on the plot; doesn't allow much for the imagination. the SFN inside "surfin", while an interresting idea, looks somewhat corny, imho.

2) Geek Seekers: catcy, and doesn't give much information on the plot, but doesn't exactly fit the story. SFN members can be thought of as geeks as much as the trolls, especially considering the opening scene.

3) Debate to Catch DeTrolls: i don't understand this. is the second 'De' simply an accented 'the'? if so, then the Title is too long, and again gives too much information on the plot. the 'the' to 'De' trick is also somewhat corny. However, if this is a parody on a similar title or common phrase that i am unaware of, this might work well.

4) SFN: Agents for Truth. definitely the best of the four, imo. very general title, which gives a good amount of information on the story while giving very little information on the plot. the only problems are that SFN isn't an acronym of "Agents of Truth", and the Title is somewhat long.

perhaps simply "Agents of Truth".

and about the Opening scene, there are some details you missed that might be important (especially for the visual artist).

-the logo: what happens to it after it becomes centered on the back of the T-shirt? should it then stay with the T-shirt, as if printed on it?

-the door: does it creek open, for the camera to slowly sneak in? is it pushed open, as if by the camera man, for the camera to walk in, or enter at a normal pace? is it slammed open just as the alarms blare, with the camera rushing in to find the action?

-the sign: why would he put up a "Gone Fishing" sign in his own room, where only he can see it? i recommend putting a "BRB" sign on the doorknob of the open door while closing it (with the Title still printed on the door).

and i have no idea if i'm going to be put in the movie or not (your guys' choice), but: curly, dirty blonde hair; shoulder-length; and put into a ponytail. slight mustache, and a few short beard hairs (teenager... face hairs still growing in).

my take on your possible titles:

2) Geek Seekers: catcy' date=' and doesn't give much information on the plot, but doesn't exactly fit the story. SFN members can be thought of as geeks as much as the trolls, especially considering the opening scene.[/quote']My idea was for SFN to be seeking geeks, to wage war on the trolls. Thus SFN members are the GeekSeekers looking for new members with this flash movie. Sort of an indoctrination film.

3) Debate to Catch DeTrolls: i don't understand this.
The bait to catch the trolls, with a pun on "debate".
and about the Opening scene, there are some details you missed that might be important (especially for the visual artist).

-the logo: what happens to it after it becomes centered on the back of the T-shirt? should it then stay with the T-shirt, as if printed on it?

You got it, that's what I had in mind.
-the door: does it creek open, for the camera to slowly sneak in? is it pushed open, as if by the camera man, for the camera to walk in, or enter at a normal pace? is it slammed open just as the alarms blare, with the camera rushing in to find the action?
I was thinking more along the lines of a zoom or a slow dolly/zoom (as long as it doesn't give the impression of a third party sneaking up behind the person). The door should open up smoothly, simply showing that you are entering a room with a person at a computer. Enough time should be given before the alarms to establish that the person is typing/posting (maybe muttering under his breath).
-the sign: why would he put up a "Gone Fishing" sign in his own room, where only he can see it? i recommend putting a "BRB" sign on the doorknob of the open door while closing it (with the Title still printed on the door).
Why would he put up BRB if no one will see it? I'm not wedded to this, and I was actually thinking of what he might take with him, but this became too character specific (if he takes his katana is it supposed to be Sayo?). The sign was a way to indicate that the person knew they'd be gone for a while. How about the sign says, "DO NOT SHUT DOWN!"?

You guys seem to be forgetting the most important element in any story, the hot babe with heavy weaponry.
Like I would forget you! :rolleyes:

We're still looking for a t-shirt that's tight, clingy and has room for your name while still having a neckline that plunges to your navel. Also no sleeves so you can swing a lightsaber.

It would be easier if you would agree to just wearing two small buttons, one says "Azure", the other says, "Phoenix".

hehehe, cute, I feel loved
Seriously, everyone needs some sort of weapon to wield as well as a physical description. Do you want to reserve the lightsaber or should the artists start working on a monkey with a whisk? Or do you prefer "heavy weaponry", as you put it earlier?

And I apologize if the button remark sounded patronizing. You know I would never willingly risk your wrath for a cheap joke.

My idea was for SFN to be seeking geeks, to wage war on the trolls. Thus SFN members are the GeekSeekers looking for new members with this flash movie. Sort of an indoctrination film.

oh, so then will this film even show a war?

if they're looking for new members, to be able to fight the war in the future, then that's a good title.

The bait to catch the trolls, with a pun on "debate".

oh, i see. that works better than i thought. but imo, it's too long. perhaps if you shorten it simply to "Debate", and have one character pronounce "The bait" like "debate". but, is the story going to involve, or be centered aroud, the bait that will be used to catch trolls? i was thinking it was going to be more along the lines of hunting and killing trolls, rather than baiting them... unless maybe the bait is a huge pseudoscience debate that will attract all of the trolls to it, to get them all in one area to start the war/ambush.

Why would he put up BRB if no one will see it? I'm not wedded to this, and I was actually thinking of what he might take with him, but this became too character specific (if he takes his katana is it supposed to be Sayo?). The sign was a way to indicate that the person knew they'd be gone for a while. How about the sign says, "DO NOT SHUT DOWN!"?

how long will he be gone? are other people living in the house?

if he's going to be gone for a while, "BRB" doesn't work (although "BBL" does)

i thought he'd put the sign on the door, for other people to see so that they won't try to disturb him. but if no one else is living in the house, then i guess he could put up that sign... if his doors are unlocked, and he expects friends will go to his room looking for him... but then, that's not very geeky.

maybe he should put up an away message on AIM instead?

"DO NOT SHUT DOWN!" could work.

do you want it to be character specific? inside the computer world, it kind of has to be character specific, unless the person doesn't take anything with him, and the camera goes in a bit late to see a group of people, all with weapons. or if the camera goes in early while the person reaches for an unknown weapon, and the camera sees a few characters appear in the same area around the same time in the computer world.

i don't know how detailed you want the characters to be, so...

i'm 6'2". athletically agile build (fairly athletic, but with few defined muscles). short torso, with long legs and arms. baggy pants; normal T-shirt.

i'd like to use my bare hands as weapons (and feet, martial artist-style). but if i can't do that, i'd be happy with quite a few weapons... should weapons be realistic, silly, or strange, or anything in particular?

and to repost hair stuff, for ease: i have curly, dirty blonde hair; shoulder-length; and put into a ponytail. slight mustache, and a few short beard hairs (teenager... face hairs still growing in).