"Nucular, it's pronounced nucular."

ydoaPs

i am.

swansont' date=' i know thats not how it is pronounced. it is a homer simpson quote.

Character - homer'
corner_tl.gif corner_tr.gif
tail.gif
Nucular; It's pronounced nucular.
corner_bl.gif corner_br.gif

I know. Just remember to safen up. Be safer!

If you're joining out of high school, then you are not technically going to be a nuclear propulsion officer, you will be enlisted. You'll go to basic, then to nuclear field "A" school, nuke school and then prototype (unless they've gone and changed the whole training process)

A high ASVAB probably means you are in line to be in the Electronics Technition rate, and be a Reactor Operator.

Good luck to you :)

Couldn't work for the armed forces myself. Far too left wing :P

You flower-loving no good hippies! Listen to the President and fight for freedom against them there terrorists! </southern accent>

What's wrong with a military/government job? It's fairly stable and well paid for the tech guys, fairly safe too (unless they ship you to battlefront)

One of the things you learn at nuke school is what critical means. All operating reactors "go critical," since it basically means that you are in steady-state.

Then I guess it's is a good thing i am not going to nuke school , isn't it?

I know. Just remember to safen up. Be safer!

If you're joining out of high school' date=' then you are not technically going to be a nuclear propulsion officer, you will be enlisted. You'll go to basic, then to nuclear field "A" school, nuke school and then prototype (unless they've gone and changed the whole training process)

A high ASVAB probably means you are in line to be in the Electronics Technition rate, and be a Reactor Operator.[/quote']

they have it set up now where you get guarenteed your whole training thing. mine is i go to A school, then get e-4 pay, then go to nuke power school, then prototype, then i am a "qualified nuclear propulsion operator" and go to the BOOST program (get school free and get paid for it), then i am on the "officer training pipeline."

instead of starting at basic pay, i start at e-3 before A school.

Why would you want to be an officer? That's an eight year commitment isn't it? And they only obtain about $30k a year. pffht. sux for cash. food allowance isn't good either. Shoot man, if I were going into the military I'd do ROTC chemical engineer and then become an 18A. That way I could bust out my skillz and blow the crap out of people in wartime. :D And i'd be doing it for 8 years. 8 years i'd be kicking people's arses with chemical warfare. If i were doing navy though i'd wanna work on teh weaponz.

Insane PM afterwards...

they have it set up now where you get guarenteed your whole training thing. mine is i go to A school' date=' then get e-4 pay, then go to nuke power school, then prototype, then i am a "qualified nuclear propulsion operator" and go to the BOOST program (get school free and get paid for it), then i am on the "officer training pipeline."

instead of starting at basic pay, i start at e-3 before A school.[/quote']

Ah, I didn't realize they guarantee you an officer program slot at enlistment. I'm sure it's contingent upon success at training. I knew several students who had been selected for that, or a similar program, but I was under the impression that they had applied later on in the training pipeline.

• 5 weeks later...

My father was a nuclear submarine reactor operator for about 20 years in the Navy. The pay isn't/wasn't all that spectacular. He found much greener pastures and MUCH higher pay after he retired and began working at a nuclear power plant. Now he's able to make the big money that he should have been making while in the Navy.

my enlistment bonus is $9,200 before taxes and i leave basic with a pay grade of E-3. my reenlistment bonus is $100,000 before taxes. i got swore in today. and i did MEPS, so i am DEP until july 18, 2006.

My father was a nuclear submarine reactor operator for about 20 years in the Navy. The pay isn't/wasn't all that spectacular. He found much greener pastures and MUCH higher pay after he retired and began working at a nuclear power plant. Now he's able to make the big money that he should have been making while in the Navy.

The military isn't the place to go to get rich. But I don't think that's a surprise. There's more to military service than getting paid, anyway - at some level you want people who aren't going to do it just for the money, because you need other qualities in the people.

You do get training and certain benefits, and if he was in for 20, he gets retirement at half pay. I know that's half of base pay, not including housing or food allowance. But retiring from the miltary at ~40 means you can still put in 25 years at another company and get a full retirement from them, too, and use your 20 years as good experience to get a pretty decent second job. All the while hauling in a retirement check.

• 2 weeks later...
Hehe' date=' cute.

[/quote']

When I served it was mostly with sub folk, since that was the bulk of the nuclear navy at the time, and they referred to the navy as having two types of vessels, subs and targets. And: never trust a vessel that travels at its test-depth. As I recall the surface guys didn't say much, being outnumbered as they were.

The mix has evened out a little, AFAIK, since the Berlin wall came down and the Soviet Union...de-unionized.

When I went TDY (temporary duty) on a sub, though, it didn't do anything to encourage me to take it up as a career.