Accidentally exposed to radiation..I think.

Elite Engineer

As StringyJ has mentioned, all non-nuclear industry isotopes have a short half life. You were probably safer to work there than a bacterially and virally contaminated library. Ain't it ironic?

That reminds me of something a scientist said about using their lab beakers as a beverage cup. An onlooker thought it was a bad idea, because of the experiments they did — there could be horrible stuff in the beaker. The scientist said the beakers were the about cleanest thing in the lab. If there were any potentially contaminating material in the beakers then their experiments would be compromised and never work.

That reminds me of something a scientist said about using their lab beakers as a beverage cup. An onlooker thought it was a bad idea, because of the experiments they did — there could be horrible stuff in the beaker. The scientist said the beakers were the about cleanest thing in the lab. If there were any potentially contaminating material in the beakers then their experiments would be compromised and never work.

That's a good point. You could probably safely eat your dinner directly off the floor in some of these places.

There are plenty of labs where the staff wear gloves so that the samples don't get damaged by the people.

If you ate your lunch off the bench your lunch would be fine- but someone would have to spend a long time cleaning the bench afterwards.

That's true, because oneself and dinner would be the biohazard. :)

Edited by StringJunky