Je m'excuse...

imatfaal

I apologize to all the European members of the Forum - my country is wrong and we will regret this vote for years to come.

Indeed. I hope, beyond hope, that this just a longer path to a better Europe and we'll still be part of it.

Cameron's resigning.

He has to. The counrty has voiced a difference of opinion with him. The country needs a strong leader who supports leaving and will work hard at making the most of this.

I apologize to all the European members of the Forum - my country is wrong and we will regret this vote for years to come.

You don't have to apologize. You have to think about the rules of democracy and the rules of economics.

I am afraid you will feel the strength of economics against democracy more than ever.

I am pretty sure a second referendum will be organized with some clever excuse, and the result will be different. In some months from now.

He has to. The counrty has voiced a difference of opinion with him. The country needs a strong leader who supports leaving and will work hard at making the most of this.

It was a referendum, not an election.

He has not to leave, he is leaving because it is going to be a mess and he doesn't want to be part of it.

I disagree. He is the strongest, most consistent and most intimate with the mechanics of this situation to steer it to the least damaging scenario.

Remember successive referendums in Ireland about the Treaty of Lisbon. First NO (2008), a year after YES (2009)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-eighth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_Bill_2008_(Ireland)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-eighth_Amendment_of_the_Constitution_of_Ireland

I disagree. He is the strongest, most consistent and most intimate with the mechanics of this situation to steer it to the least damaging scenario.

Exactly. It is on purpose. The new one will make a mess out of it.

It was a referendum, not an election.

True, but when a leader holds a referendum and he supports one of the options very publically and then the population votes for the other option, the whole situation is dire for him. It shows that he is out of touch with a large group of the public (of course he always was) and moreover he would face challanges for the top seat from others in his party.

Maybe, but he has lost face and so the conservative party and public at large will have little confidence in him.

This is the personal cost of holding this referendum.

Edited by ajb

I wonder who they will blame when they see the economy going into recession, when immigration doesn't decrease (although, I suppose increasing unemployment might be one way of reducing the number of foreign workers), when we have the same number of regulations and laws that have to be compatible with Europe, when we are no more able to avoid non-tarrif barriers with the USA and China than Europe has been, etc.

I'm sure they won't blame themselves ....

Sh*t.... does this mean Boris will be the new PM?

I really like Boris, but I am not sure I want him as the PM!

Now the gesture in your avatar is adequate.

---------------

I suppose the new PM will be from the same party as Cameron.

Otherwise you need elections. Καλό ξεμπέρδεμα.

Sh*t.... does this mean Boris will be the new PM?

I really like Boris, but I am not sure I want him as the PM!

Oh no!... please... the despair deepens. Right now, all the upbeat feelings I've experienced this week has gone down the toilet. A 4 pack of Special brew is looking very inviting... I knew I shouldn't have trodden on that mirror the other day...

I suppose the new PM will be from the same party as Cameron.

Yes. In UK law you do not vote for the PM, but rather the party through your local MPs. The conservative party will hold some meetings and ballots to decide who to make the new MP.

Unless, they call an election, but is this in the cards?

As a member of a country who has large swaths of the population who regularly vote against their best interests because they are so easily manipulated with lies and empty promises, you have my sympathies.

As a member of a country who has large swaths of the population who regularly vote against their best interests because they are so easily manipulated with lies and empty promises, you have my sympathies.

Thank you. Yes, we are not immune to democratic expressions of mass stupidity.

Edited by StringJunky

Yep, both Trump and the exit vote seem to be driven by vacuous promises that "it will all be better (just don't ask how ... and ignore the experts)"

Remember successive referendums in Ireland about the Treaty of Lisbon. First NO (2008), a year after YES (2009)

I remember the Irish voted NO in 2008 because the Irish people believed it could affect Irish neutrality. The treaty was amended to mean that while the EU can ask Ireland to go to war they cannot force Ireland to go to war.

You are correct. I am pretty sure the question to the British will be slightly different next time. If the British people is there because I have the slight impression that only the English will be asked.

Do you mean that Scotland will already have seceded from the Union? I think that is entirely possible.

Unfortunately I am pretty convinced we won't have another referendum unless something of earth-shattering proportions happens.

This is also a worry h/t mikail golub

'Brexit' to be followed by Grexit. Departugal. Italeave. Fruckoff. Czechout. Oustria. Finish. Slovakout. Latervia. Byegium.

Do you mean that Scotland will already have seceded from the Union? I think that is entirely possible.

Unfortunately I am pretty convinced we won't have another referendum unless something of earth-shattering proportions happens.

This is also a worry h/t mikail golub

'Brexit' to be followed by Grexit. Departugal. Italeave. Fruckoff. Czechout. Oustria. Finish. Slovakout. Latervia. Byegium.

Ha!