Suffixes, Ugh!

Increasingly, suffix (-ly, -ing, -ed, etc.) omission has plagued my writing. It's particularly frustrating to find an omission after having reviewed what I've written several times both before and after making it public. Recently, for example, I wrote "actual" when I meant "actually." Errors involving sound-alike word (homonym) substitution are more agreeable to me than these seemingly small suffix errors. It's a small thing I know, but it bothers me especially after finding the error several hours after having reviewed, dozens of times, what I wrote. As far as I can tell, the error involves two aspects; a blockage in the efferent (output) command to fully execute my thoughts physically and a similar obstruction to my afferent (input) perception of correct confirmation. It's like something is standing in the way of what I want to do and is at the same time keeping me from knowing I made a mistake. What is that? Psychology or senility?

It happens to a lot of people including myself. Usually I would ask somebody else to check my work for errors.

It's just completely maddening not being able to rely on one's perceptions after a lifetime of trust building.

• 1 month later...

Ugh! Now it's more than suffixes...the word is option not opposition! Ugh!

Slow down your thinking. Your hands are only writing what you think. That example there suggests to me you are not saying the words to yourself clearly but saying them too quickly. 'Opposition', spoken quickly, could sound like 'option'.

Edited by StringJunky

Slow down your thinking. Your hands are only writing what you think. That example there suggests to me you are not saying the words to yourself clearly but saying them too quickly. 'Opposition', spoken quickly, could sound like 'option'.

Excellent suggestion, I'll try it.

Excellent suggestion, I'll try it.

Yes, it seems to me your experience at typing is going faster than you can think now. Fingers still need a brain sychronised to them to write stuff that makes sense... they can't think for themselves :)

Edited by StringJunky

I think it's the other way around, where my thoughts out pace my typing or, perhaps, I'm more focused on what I'm thinking rather than what I'm doing. Ugh!

You don't need to think what are typing if you are fluent at it. You don't think of what you speak. It's your thinking that is getting flimsy and lazy with age. Slow it down.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are advanced in years, I suggest going to the doctor and making certain you aren't having something serious like microstrokes.

Advanced years, maybe but I doubt a mini-stroke. This sort a thing's been happening for a while now and it only involves my writing not my thinking. However, I am due for a physical...maybe I'll get some good news.

I read a New Scientist article a few years back that suggested SOME cases of forgetfulness in old age and mistakes were not dementia at all but just normal. People forget things all the time.... when you are younger you shrug it off and don't care and just get on with it. You forgot something? So what.... when we are older and we forget something we can actually over think the situation (as we tend to be more thorough with our thinking as we age) and think we are losing our marbles, but what we are actually guilty off is forgetting that we can be quite forgetful.

I am not saying that this is happening in your case with your writing - but if you think back, did this ever happen to you in the past when you were young? Did you just shrug it off in those days or even notice it? Are you actually better now at thinking so you spot your own mistakes better?

I am only suggesting this as a possibility because of the article I read - it said that most cases of peoples forgetfulness in old age was just that they forgot how forgetful all humans can be. :) I presume/think that it could be the case with spelling/writing and doing things also.

I hope you are well - and of course - I am not a medical doctor, so the usual disclaimer about getting yourself checked out professionally if you feel the need to applies here and you should take what I say with a pinch of salt. But I guess you could be just having a bad day. Good luck!

Time for some new batteries....

How does the saying goes? "There may be snow on the roof but there's ice in the oven." Or is it "fire"? Yes, it's fire!

I read a New Scientist article a few years back that suggested SOME cases of forgetfulness in old age and mistakes were not dementia at all but just normal. People forget things all the time.... when you are younger you shrug it off and don't care and just get on with it. You forgot something? So what.... when we are older and we forget something we can actually over think the situation (as we tend to be more thorough with our thinking as we age) and think we are losing our marbles, but what we are actually guilty off is forgetting that we can be quite forgetful.

I am not saying that this is happening in your case with your writing - but if you think back, did this ever happen to you in the past when you were young? Did you just shrug it off in those days or even notice it? Are you actually better now at thinking so you spot your own mistakes better?

I am only suggesting this as a possibility because of the article I read - it said that most cases of peoples forgetfulness in old age was just that they forgot how forgetful all humans can be. :) I presume/think that it could be the case with spelling/writing and doing things also.

I hope you are well - and of course - I am not a medical doctor, so the usual disclaimer about getting yourself checked out professionally if you feel the need to applies here and you should take what I say with a pinch of salt. But I guess you could be just having a bad day. Good luck!

I think my memory is as sharp as ever, it's just the mixing of words I clearly know and have used correctly but don't notice right away when I use them incorrectly. I try to convey what I mean in as few words as possible. It's frustrating to subsequently find what I've conveyed wasn't what I meant. No doubt I'll be reviewing every line of what I'm typing here several hundred times.

The last slave I asked to check my work died of overwork.

:)

Ha!

You're going to hate this. I'm sure you meant to type 'homophone' there/their/they're! :)

Ha! However, homonyms encompass both homophones and homographs.

Edited by DrmDoc

• 3 weeks later...